OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking very good! I like the idea of monitoring everything on your cell phone and the live video!
Thanks! It was actually pretty easy to set up. The software for my droid was like $5 and it can use any webcam as long as your computer is hooked up to the internet and you install the free software on your computer. You can also set a password to limit access in case the room is in a bedroom or anything. The software for the computer is called eyespyFX if anyone is interested and the droid app is called "My Webcam" by eyespyFX and it's in the droid app store.

Excellent job! I love the look of the led lights you got from Luke. Are those 1w or 3w? Those are impressive next to the phoenix bulbs. The test tube holder is ingenious. I can't even count the number of times I spilled them on my desk while testing.
1smile1
Yeah, me too. I always tried to balance them on a little stool and spilled so many reagents on the carpet that if my wife only knew.... let's just say I'd be in trouble. The LEDs from Luke are the Gen2's with the 3 watt diodes.

Last edited:

butterfly032176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks awesome. Love the drawer idea. But in my case I begged my husband to make the whole in the wall, I didn't want the big furniture a tank takes in the middle of nowhere.
:haha: Great Job...

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few pics under the new lights.... Everything seems happy!
IMG_7725.jpg

IMG_7485.jpg

IMG_7637.jpg

IMG_7621.jpg

IMG_7658.jpg

IMG_7717.jpg

IMG_7586.jpg

IMG_7646.jpg

I can't seem to get the white balance adjusted properly to show how much the colors pop, but you get the idea...

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just decided to ditch the RKL and go with a Neptune Apex. Also ordered a couple MP40s for the sides and an MP10 for the back to get rid of these bulky Koralias. Also got a few new fish and a scoly!

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few shots of the new fish... not so hot, but you get the idea.
IMG_7925.jpg

IMG_7931.jpg

IMG_7937.jpg

IMG_7956.jpg

IMG_7990.jpg

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now for a few coral shots. Some SPS:
IMG_7921.jpg

IMG_7920.jpg

IMG_7908.jpg

IMG_7886.jpg

IMG_7880.jpg

IMG_7878.jpg

IMG_7874.jpg

IMG_8122.jpg

IMG_8088.jpg

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some LPS:
My new Scoly!! :xd:
IMG_7868.jpg

Anybody like Acans???
IMG_7896.jpg

IMG_7897.jpg

IMG_7898.jpg

IMG_7899.jpg

IMG_7915.jpg

IMG_7919.jpg

My Red Lobo is starting to get yellow/orange streaks:
IMG_8043.jpg

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a new frag tank setup to add to the fish room! It's a tiny one, but it's something to keep me entertained for the time being. It's an acrylic 16"L x 16"W x8"H (9 gallons) tank that I'm going to power with a DIY LED setup and plumb into my DT. Today I made the frame for the stand, and I'll be skinning it over the next few days. I plan to make it on a stand with a few drawers to hold all my tank supplies & test kits, and hopefully it comes out as nice as my current stand/canopy. Overall, I was pretty happy with the build for the 180, but I can hopefully learn from the mistakes I made during that build when I start this venture. Pics to come...

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost all motivation in building the stand for the new tank until it arrived the other day. For the price I paid for the tank on Ebay, I'm quite impressed with the workmanship. Over the past few days, I've managed to wire up some LEDs, build a frag rack, and get a little bit of work done on the stand. Here's a few pics:
IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

The tank has routed edges to round them off with an external overflow (still has the protective coating on the bottom of the acrylic).
Here's the frag rack I built:
IMG_1523.jpg

And in the tank...
IMG_1524.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

The LEDs are 12 Cree XR-Es (6 white & 6 blue):
IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

And a bit of work on the stand:
IMG_1527.jpg

Right now it has a wet coat of wood putty on it that still needs to be sanded, so forgive the ugly pics. The sides will have a similar drop panel style to them and there will be 3 drawers with the same routed edges on the drawer fronts as the 180 stand doors and I'll use the same hardware. It will once again have columns on the edges, but they will be a different style. No rosettes this time, just a square column with some trim and crown moulding up top. I haven't really put much thought into a canopy to conceal the LEDs, but I'll worry about that when the stand is done. I'd love to use a linear actuator for a canopy lift, but it's more money that I'd like to put into this project.
The tank is going to be fed with a Mag 3 pump to some Loc-Line with a Y and the flared tips. If that's not enough flow I'll figure out what type of powerhead to use.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit more work on the stand. I finished the drop panels on the sides, put a panel on the front, and cut holes for the drawers:
IMG_1535.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It look great Scott! That frag rack looks awesome, I may have to enlist your assistance when I finally set mine up. Keep the pics coming.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliments! I just finished building & installing the drawers on the frag stand and I'm going to start the trim after lunch. The stand should be ready for a final sand-down and paint by tonight!

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a ton of work done on the stand today and it's just about ready for paint. Here's a few pictures:
The first of the drawers built and installed:
IMG_1537.jpg

And the other two:
IMG_1543.jpg

Added some trim:
IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

And the top piece added:
IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

Tomorrow I have to do some sanding and then I can start painting!!

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the tank stand with some paint:
IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

And here it is in the room with the fish tank...pretty tight fit but it's in there:
IMG_1568.jpg

Even though it doesn't completely match the stand for the 180, I still think they look pretty good together:
IMG_1570.jpg

And two quick FTSs with my P&S:
IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

Now that all the SPS is settled in, I'm getting some nice growth tips and things are starting to look up. I can't wait to get this frag tank up and running so that I can get rid of the frag racks. It'll hold 84 frags, so I should be able to get rid of all 4 frag racks after mounting a couple corals (crosses fingers).
I just noticed that the middle drawer isn't sitting on the slide correctly in the pics. It's level with the other 2 drawers... I've just been drinking while moving the tank in. :tire:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back