Switching from LED to T5HO

SaranWrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody, 180 gallons currently using a single Hydra 32. As I expand my aquascape, I decided to switch to 48" T5HO. My question is regarding the schedule and making sure I don't stress too much my corals during the transition. I decided to go with ATI 3x aquablue special, 2x purple plus and 1x actinic. Knowing my current schedule is from 10:30 am to 10:30 pm with 1hr ramp up/down, what would be the best methodology to accustom my inhabitants to the switch? My current par reading is 350 top of aquascape, 250 middle and 150 bottom. Thanks for your help !

20221215_212131.jpg

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Go with a 60"x6 T5.........just fire them up. Set them about 7-9" above the water line.

Is the T5 a commercial fixture or are you going DIY like a LET setup or other two bulb fixtures combined to make six?

I also would suggest using Coral+ instead of AB specials. 50/50 coral+ and blue+ will also work better.
Other options would be Coal+ Blue+ and Actinic two each.

I'm basing my suggestions that you are looking for a whiter look in your tank.

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are, the led light is more powerful than the T5, I would think, you wouldn’t need to do anything special switching back to T5.
If you have a par meter, check par when new T5 lighting is up and go from there.
If led light is more par than T5, I wouldn’t worry too much about it.
That’s the beauty of T5 or MH, pretty much hang light fixture and go.

I am also thinking about going back to my MH/T5 combo light fixture on my 210.
It’s not that I don’t like the look of led, I’m just not getting the same growth as I have with my MH/T5 fixture.

OP
OP
SaranWrap

SaranWrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with a 60"x6 T5.........just fire them up. Set them about 7-9" above the water line.

Is the T5 a commercial fixture or are you going DIY like a LET setup or other two bulb fixtures combined to make six?

I also would suggest using Coral+ instead of AB specials. 50/50 coral+ and blue+ will also work better.

I finished setting things up, and yeah, aquablue really make things too white, I'm thinking of changing two of the ab special for either coral plus or blue plus since I find that my torches doesn't pop as much than with the hydra, but I still want a more natural look than a Windex kinda setup. As to why I'm going with 48" is, I got a great fixture for 70 cad, and I couldn't afford buying more hydras to fill the whole thing ! Super happy with the results so far having 2x purple plus, 1x ab special and 1x true actinic (the 2 others ab special are off since I don't really like how it looks with them on and don't want to stress the corals too much is it is day 1).

20221217_151721.jpg

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until I switched to led, my T5 fixture on my frag tank was always, 2-blue plus, 2-purple plus and 2-actinic. Always liked the color spectrum of that combo.
A lot of this is just personal preference.

OP
OP
SaranWrap

SaranWrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until I switched to led, my T5 fixture on my frag tank was always, 2-blue plus, 2-purple plus and 2-actinic. Always liked the color spectrum of that combo.
A lot of this is just personal preference.

From your pov as I know nobody using T5 and have nowhere to compare, would the end result turn more around the blue spectrum or purple ? As I'm looking towards more of a whotish purple, but keeping the coral pop (as I feel like the ab special really don't make LPs pop)

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, Blue plus was more of a bluish daylight spectrum to me. They were brighter than you’d think. Was definitely more blue then purple.
You could always add a couple of 470nm led light bars for some pop, if that’s what your looking for.
Again, a lot of this is personal perception.
It’s like showing someone a beige color swatch and asking them what color it is.
Half will say grey, some will stay steel, etc. lol!

OP
OP
SaranWrap

SaranWrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, Blue plus was more of a bluish daylight spectrum to me. They were brighter than you’d think. Was definitely more blue then purple.
You could always add a couple of 470nm led light bars for some pop, if that’s what your looking for.
Again, a lot of this is personal perception.
It’s like showing someone a beige color swatch and asking them what color it is.
Half will say grey, some will stay steel, etc. lol!

Totally get that hahah, thanks a lot for your time, appreciate it ! Personal opinion is better than no opinion at all lol, as I thought ab special would be closer to blue because of the name, but oh man I was wrong, it's really really white !

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your pov as I know nobody using T5 and have nowhere to compare, would the end result turn more around the blue spectrum or purple ? As I'm looking towards more of a whotish purple, but keeping the coral pop (as I feel like the ab special really don't make LPs pop)
See post #27 for outside the box thinking..

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I second this coral plus
2 coral plus
2 blue plus
2 purple plus
The purple will highlight the reds.
Aqua blue special. is a white light.

OP
OP
SaranWrap

SaranWrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See post #27 for outside the box thinking..

It's based on that video that I chose my combination hahhah

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhere i read...or maybe heard...

That actinic lamps guve very little par, and they use is simply to balance colors...

So, in 2 blue+2 actinic, only par is from two lamps....

Sounds incorrect, right?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhere i read...or maybe heard...

That actinic lamps guve very little par, and they use is simply to balance colors...

So, in 2 blue+2 actinic, only par is from two lamps....

Sounds incorrect, right?
Not according to err science.
Screenshot_20221218-145737.png

Screenshot_20221218-150026.png

Believe the actinic is lower in photon output in general though but not enough to be considered just " ornamental"

Back