Switching too live rock

Clown93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cyano outbreak and I started my tank with dry rock if I decided too switch too tampa bay ocean live rock but just rock no sand will the cyano that is still on my sandbed just colonize my newly live rock and just take over again or will it die off? And if I decide too add tb ocean live rock should I remove all cyano from my back chambers and pumps or will the new live rock with all the biodiversity wipe it out on it's own sorry so long just wanna be sure it is worth the money because it is pretty expensive any help greatly appreciated thanks

billyo2811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start fresh, new sand and get rid of as much cyano as possible. Is the tank fully stocked if so consider that you are virtually restarting/cycling the tank again

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess it depends on how bad the cyano issue is. If it's bad I would remove as much as possible and let the new rock wipe out the rest naturally. Probably a good idea to run some carbon when removing it. This is of course assuming that you have some livestock established.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to consider is using a round of chemiclean as well.

OP
OP
C

Clown93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start fresh, new sand and get rid of as much cyano as possible. Is the tank fully stocked if so consider that you are virtually restarting/cycling the tank again
4 fish torch coral millie acro and about 6 mushrooms yes was thinking of that would I be ok? With all of that livestock because the rock will have so much beneficial bacteria and biodiversity or will it not be able too keep up with all that right away can keep adding microbacter 7 too keep colonizing beneficial bacteria?

OP
OP
C

Clown93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess it depends on how bad the cyano issue is. If it's bad I would remove as much as possible and let the new rock wipe out the rest naturally. Probably a good idea to run some carbon when removing it. This is of course assuming that you have some livestock established.
Thanks for the help

billyo2811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 fish torch coral millie acro and about 6 mushrooms yes was thinking of that would I be ok? With all of that livestock because the rock will have so much beneficial bacteria and biodiversity or will it not be able too keep up with all that right away can keep adding microbacter 7 too keep colonizing beneficial bacteria?
I would not bother adding any other bottled bacteria if you change to live rock you have to consider the die off on the rock that will occur with the transfer but once that is taken care of you should have no dramas if you let it be as there is move than enough diversity within the live rock

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back