T5 or led lighting for mixed reef

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One word, Kessils. The closest light you will get to Metal Halide.
Best led on the market. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles but imo perfect light. Halides=great color and growth+heat+high electric bills. T5=Awesome color+good growth+high maintenance cost. LED=good color+good growth+low operating cost. My electric bill went down $20 to $30 a month after I changed from Halides to LED. I will never go back.

Fishbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't get the energy savings point T5 vs LED unless you live CA or another state that charges high electric prices. I believe most people pay around 12 cents a KWH. I did the math and on a 6 bulb fixture like most are recommending that comes out to ~$11 a month. Assuming everything on for 8 hours and 12hrs of supplement light with two bulbs. What are most people going to save 5 bucks a month on electric if that. I get it if you live in CA and it costs way more for electric or you are coming from halides & VHO.

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get the energy savings point T5 vs LED unless you live CA or another state that charges high electric prices. I believe most people pay around 12 cents a KWH. I did the math and on a 6 bulb fixture like most are recommending that comes out to ~$11 a month. Assuming everything on for 8 hours and 12hrs of supplement light with two bulbs. What are most people going to save 5 bucks a month on electric if that. I get it if you live in CA and it costs way more for electric or you are coming from halides & VHO.
I live in CA and it is almost impossible to calculate what they are charging us. We pay different rates based on time of year, time of day, temp, off peak hours, It is ridiculous. I was running 2 tanks with halides and my bill was over $220+ a month. I changed the halides for Kessil's and saw a $20 to $30 savings. I live in a 1,200 sq ft condo. $200+ electric bills were no fun. After I switched to the LED on my tanks I also switched out all my house lights with dimmable LED can lights. My electric bill is now $129 to $140. Those are the reasons I am a true believer in the LED.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back