TALL 6' FOOT Tank Lighting for Corals + flow?

coreytrv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current build is a 6' tall column style tank, only about 40" x 40" footprint. EST. 500 gallons.

Currently have (2) A500x Tuna Blue Kessil LED's with 35 degree reflector, manufacturer says light will penetrate 4' deep.

I could use some help with ideas on how to stock the tank with corals, obv. low light at bottom, but what would do well down there? How about up top with the 35 degree, is that too focused for some species at the top (thinking focused intensity)?

Any supplemental lighting suggestions in addition to the Tuna Blues?

Regarding flow, tank is setup for 10x true turnover at the DT. I can also pipe in additional returns if needed. Have 2 convective cycles setup for suction / supply at top, and bottom. Returns will be: TOP spray bar, Medium High, Medium Low. Each return will be loc-line fittings with WYE's so I can split it off in multiple directions.

RED is suction
BLUE is return from filter

monster tank, tall tank, 500 gallons

Last edited:

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wow! Thats a cool tank :)

OP
OP
coreytrv

coreytrv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@coreytrv - is this the same tank you posted about in that other thread about needing help adding RFGs for flow?

Hello, yup, same one. Difference is, that post was for filter closed loop, running duck bills from main return. That’s tuned for 10x

Now, wanting to add separate DT closed loop only using Abyzz A400 for auxiliary flow for another 10-15x

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, cool - Give me a day or two and I'll work something up.

Here are my answers to your initial questions on that other thread.

Looking at adding some random flow generators to a tall tank (72" tall), to be setup for primarily SPS.

I'd like to use an Abyzz A400 which has 4,800-6,060 GPH.

Random Flow nozzles top out at 900 per dual.

1714290265837.png

The flow rates here are "Suggested Optimal Flow" rates , (SOF for short). the SOF rating is more a guideline than a rule. With that said, single 3/4in RFG SOF rating is 420 to 500 GPH. that's the sweet spot for good randomization for the least amount of head pressure.

With that said, if you exceed the SOF rating (which we encourage) you get a a bigger, more pronounced effect - but at the expense of more back pressure.

Throughput for a singe 3/4in RFG will top out at around 680 to 700 GPH. at that point you wont be able to get any more volume through the nozzle.

Plumbing will be dropped into the tank from above.
It's a peninsula tank, visible from 3 sides, (except the back).
I can do no more than (2)- 1-1/4" return lines into the tank.

That should be doable - we can run it as a manifold and run multiple RGs off of each drop.

I can stub to 3/4" loc line and Y for a total (4) VCA heads.
Or I guess I could Y and Y again for more?

I think ideally, it would work better to run more like a drop-down manifold with single RFGs at each point, with the least amount of loc-line possible. In fact with our Multidapter, we can probably do this without any loc-line. Loc-line i a HUGE factor in flow restriction - so its good to use as little as possible

With our Multidapter fitting, we could simply plug the RFG into a pipe socket. This is an example of a 90 degree elbow with a Multidapter , but it could just easily be a 90 tee

1714344573485.png

What happens if I exceed suggested optimal flow?

See above - you get a bigger, more pronounced effect, but with limits in throughput.

Should I be using loc line ball valves here, or just add more nozzles?

Maybe - if we stick with 3/4in RFGs we may be able to exceed the throughput of the RFG , which would have the effect of keeping the entire pipe run under constant pressure, so all RFGs on each drop would get the same amount of supply flow. In that case we would not need valves.

How should I configure? Any assistance is appreciated, @Vivid Creative Aquatics .

I'll run some numbers and draw up a plan to flow this entire tank with a closed loop

QUESTION:
1 - here will the drop be form the top - along the central corner, or near the outer corners.?

2 - are you open to more than two drop, if needed, at various heights as long as they do not obstruct the view?

3 - Do you have a plan for where the closed lop drain will be? if not- which panels would be abel to accommodate a drain?

Tank sketch here:

1714290252662.png

1714343820288.png

OP
OP
coreytrv

coreytrv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The flow rates here are "Suggested Optimal Flow" rates , (SOF for short). the SOF rating is more a guideline than a rule. With that said, single 3/4in RFG SOF rating is 420 to 500 GPH. that's the sweet spot for good randomization for the least amount of head pressure.

With that said, if you exceed the SOF rating (which we encourage) you get a a bigger, more pronounced effect - but at the expense of more back pressure.

Throughput for a singe 3/4in RFG will top out at around 680 to 700 GPH. at that point you wont be able to get any more volume through the nozzle.

That should be doable - we can run it as a manifold and run multiple RGs off of each drop.

I think ideally, it would work better to run more like a drop-down manifold with single RFGs at each point, with the least amount of loc-line possible. In fact with our Multidapter, we can probably do this without any loc-line. Loc-line i a HUGE factor in flow restriction - so its good to use as little as possible

With our Multidapter fitting, we could simply plug the RFG into a pipe socket. This is an example of a 90 degree elbow with a Multidapter , but it could just easily be a 90 tee

1714344573485.png

See above - you get a bigger, more pronounced effect, but with limits in throughput.

Maybe - if we stick with 3/4in RFGs we may be able to exceed the throughput of the RFG , which would have the effect of keeping the entire pipe run under constant pressure, so all RFGs on each drop would get the same amount of supply flow. In that case we would not need valves.

1714344573485.png

I'll run some numbers and draw up a plan to flow this entire tank with a closed loop

QUESTION:
1 - here will the drop be form the top - along the central corner, or near the outer corners.?

2 - are you open to more than two drop, if needed, at various heights as long as they do not obstruct the view?

3 - Do you have a plan for where the closed lop drain will be? if not- which panels would be abel to accommodate a drain?

1714343820288.png
This is great information, thank you! Regarding your couple questions below:

See Photo of plumbing for reference.

(2) 1" suction manifolds, and
(2) 1" return lines which terminate in 3/4" loc line fittings, which Y from there.

BLUE lines are proposed 1" lines that could be fit, any combination of (3) lines look like it'll fit there.

QUESTION:
Drop is from the top along the middle back of the tank. There will be an overflow box in the corner, and flow / suction routed around the L to provide flow to that corner section.

Trying to keep plumbing in middle, so it doesn't get too close to any side of the glass tank, since those are all displace areas.
Can do manifolds on each drop, and up to (3) 1" drops.
Can run suction on any of the lines for the closed loop. Will have strain end, or can do manifold suction.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back