Tank Drilling Victoria Australia

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a 4x2x2 rimless tank drilled in Victoria Australia. I’ve never done it and it makes me feel sick drilling into a brand new tank.

regards Duzzy

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help you in Australia but I share your fears . I did it on a 20 gallon years ago and used a diamond laden hole saw bit with it hooked up to a battery operated drill While running the hose over it . I was successful with minor splintering on edges which the bulk head seal covered nicely . I wouldn’t dare try it on thicker more expensive glass . I would imagine they probably use a fixed drill press and a lot of experience that I don’t have on the subject . That being said if you haven’t purchased the tank is their any builders with a comfortable distance that could pre drill or either take it to them if you already purchased it ? Good luck and best wishes :cool: what kind of glass Is it made or going to be made of ??

OP
OP
Duzzy

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help you in Australia but I share your fears . I did it on a 20 gallon years ago and used a diamond laden hole saw bit with it hooked up to a battery operated drill While running the hose over it . I was successful with minor splintering on edges which the bulk head seal covered nicely . I wouldn’t dare try it on thicker more expensive glass . I would imagine they probably use a fixed drill press and a lot of experience that I don’t have on the subject . That being said if you haven’t purchased the tank is their any builders with a comfortable distance that could pre drill or either take it to them if you already purchased it ? Good luck and best wishes :cool: what kind of glass Is it made or going to be made of ??
Low iron star fire I believe in a 4 x 2 x 2 tank a bigger one to vome but for now this will be it. I thinknit will be 3 maybe 4 holes 1-2 for slimline weir and 2 for return. I’m getting the tank from an importer that won’t drill and drilling "apparently " ruins the warranty

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low iron star fire I believe in a 4 x 2 x 2 tank a bigger one to vome but for now this will be it. I thinknit will be 3 maybe 4 holes 1-2 for slimline weir and 2 for return. I’m getting the tank from an importer that won’t drill and drilling "apparently " ruins the warranty
That’s rough . And I don’t like the overflow options . Sorry I can’t help you there where you are at . Wish you the best and hope you can find someone on your end :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

OP
OP
Duzzy

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s rough . And I don’t like the overflow options . Sorry I can’t help you there where you are at . Wish you the best and hope you can find someone on your end :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
Thank you, I’ve not long began the search but I’m sure a custom build will do it if you see a kidney for sale you’ll know the price

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I’ve not long began the search but I’m sure a custom build will do it if you see a kidney for sale you’ll know the price
I know how bad we want things in this hobby that we can’t afford ha! That’s funny as now a days since covid you’ll have to throw in a eyeball and a lung for something like this lol !! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Just don’t cough when they exam you or all bets are off !!

OP
OP
Duzzy

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how bad we want things in this hobby that we can’t afford ha! That’s funny as now a days since covid you’ll have to throw in a eyeball and a lung for something like this lol !! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
When I told my wife the cost of this project I left 50% in the bag in Australia every piece of equipment is at least $500aud ($320usd) the tank quote I got the other day was 4x2x2 4 holes rimless low iron glass $3000 I found same tank from importer minus the holes $600 . But I am serious kessil a360x $845 great white skimmer $500 I can make the algae scrubber and a few other things but there will be no apex not yet anyway. But what a brilliant hobby.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I told my wife the cost of this project I left 50% in the bag in Australia every piece of equipment is at least $500aud ($320usd) the tank quote I got the other day was 4x2x2 4 holes rimless low iron glass $3000 I found same tank from importer minus the holes $600 . But I am serious kessil a360x $845 great white skimmer $500 I can make the algae scrubber and a few other things but there will be no apex not yet anyway. But what a brilliant hobby.
Will you have enough for salt , sand , and rock ? . On the good side is that humans do have two kidneys . I feal the pain . The hobby is at least 30% more expensive recently . Shipping is more expensive , manufacturing , materials , and labor prices have gone up . It’s definitely put my plans to get a bigger tank on hold . I don’t see a end in sight . More people are getting out of the hobby putting their equipment up for sale and although I would personally not buy a used tank you could probably get a Apex or good lighting used .

OP
OP
Duzzy

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you have enough for salt , sand , and rock ? . On the good side is that humans do have two kidneys . I feal the pain . The hobby is at least 30% more expensive recently . Shipping is more expensive , manufacturing , materials , and labor prices have gone up . It’s definitely put my plans to get a bigger tank on hold . I don’t see a end in sight . More people are getting out of the hobby putting their equipment up for sale and although I would personally not buy a used tank you could probably get a Apex or good lighting used .
I’m excited and being on a low income I’ve allowed 2 yrs for build (it’ll kill me) but I can set up a frag tank and grow corals out. I saw some beautiful all be it more common hammers, frog spawn, torches, plates, acros (to name a few) really beautiful that were $5 each or $3 for $10 they were beautiful large colonies other deals were $20 or 3 for $40 and premium stuff for $50-$3000 catering to all reefers they were beautiful corals just beautiful as for sand well Australia is an island we’re surrounded by sand n water here you can buy fresh from ocean sea water by the litre.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m excited and being on a low income I’ve allowed 2 yrs for build (it’ll kill me) but I can set up a frag tank and grow corals out. I saw some beautiful all be it more common hammers, frog spawn, torches, plates, acros (to name a few) really beautiful that were $5 each or $3 for $10 they were beautiful large colonies other deals were $20 or 3 for $40 and premium stuff for $50-$3000 catering to all reefers they were beautiful corals just beautiful as for sand well Australia is an island we’re surrounded by sand n water here you can buy fresh from ocean sea water by the litre.
It is frustrating at times with the price of things as of late but suplimenting your hobby by growing and selling frags is a great idea and that being said i would find other hobbyist in your area to network for resources like information, supplies and livestock . I’m sure you’ll be able to find people on reef to reef as well as other clubs , Once you get going you’ll find a lot of help . Believe it or not there are a lot of people here and elsewhere that are willing to help you . Also search out local frag shows and swap meets as that’s where you’ll find some of your best deals . For separate frag tanks look at used acrylic frag tanks which even if their scratched up they can be buffed out and they are usually stronger then glass plus being used you may find really good buys . This is a great hobby , you’ll have years of gratification. I wish you the best . I know that if you do a build thread here people come out of the wood work to admire and mostly helpfulLy criticize to help you make it easier and hopefully avoid any pitfalls . One resource out there to help is “ brssupply 52 weeks of reefing “ which you can find on you tube . Just try to watch the episodes in order to where your at in your startup. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Duzzy

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is frustrating at times with the price of things as of late but suplimenting your hobby by growing and selling frags is a great idea and that being said i would find other hobbyist in your area to network for resources like information, supplies and livestock . I’m sure you’ll be able to find people on reef to reef as well as other clubs , Once you get going you’ll find a lot of help . Believe it or not there are a lot of people here and elsewhere that are willing to help you . Also search out local frag shows and swap meets as that’s where you’ll find some of your best deals . For separate frag tanks look at used acrylic frag tanks which even if their scratched up they can be buffed out and they are usually stronger then glass plus being used you may find really good buys . This is a great hobby , you’ll have years of gratification. I wish you the best . I know that if you do a build thread here people come out of the wood work to admire and mostly helpfulLy criticize to help you make it easier and hopefully avoid any pitfalls . One resource out there to help is “ brssupply 52 weeks of reefing “ which you can find on you tube . Just try to watch the episodes in order to where your at in your startup. :cool:
Thankyou, I’ve been belting the daylights out of YouTube and google however it’s not the same as discussing things either online or in person.

im looking for a second and third smaller tank to use as a quarantine and frag tank well that’s the plan.

I just ordered the lights for my algae scrubber and or refugium. It’s exciting.

all the best
regards Duzzy

OP
OP
Duzzy

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t everyone selling frags though? How can it be viable if we all do it?

OP
OP
Duzzy

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not everyone . I would say fewer than you would think . There are a lot of people in the hobby but on a percentage basis imo more people are either not experienced enough to make a biz out of it or just don’t do it . Personally I only sell or trade when certain corals I have grow too big but I always find and buy new strains and types of coral to add to my collection or for a new tank . I do also trade every once in a while for food or equipment but I don’t want to do the selling part where it’s a biz . Life is short and this is a hobby of mine but not the only one . Years ago I did the side biz of breeding discus and doing the shows which was fun to me at the time plus I made a little money and made new friends. For me that’s what it’s about . Still like discus and plan to set up a discus tank again but for now I’m enjoying the reef tanks .

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any clubs near you ? You would be surprised what you could find on the cheap at local clubs plus you get to be with people that share the same interest while learning a lot . And you may find a niche to grow or breed something that you could sell or trade to help offset your hobby and maybe avoid having to sell that kidney lol !! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Duzzy

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any clubs near you ? You would be surprised what you could find on the cheap at local clubs plus you get to be with people that share the same interest while learning a lot . And you may find a niche to grow or breed something that you could sell or trade to help offset your hobby and maybe avoid having to sell that kidney lol !! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Was looking at clubs it’s a big part of why I’m join this hobby. I’v been into freshwater a long time but never did clubs. I did the bird breeding club and really miss the comradery

Fragging and reefing to me is just gardening with water instead of dirt but all the chemistry is there.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking at clubs it’s a big part of why I’m join this hobby. I’v been into freshwater a long time but never did clubs. I did the bird breeding club and really miss the comradery

Fragging and reefing to me is just gardening with water instead of dirt but all the chemistry is there.
So you traded your green thumb for a wet thumb lol !! plus I’m sure this type of gardening is way more expensive

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back