tank manufacturers

VanHalen

Runnin With The DevilFish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to have a custom acrylic built and would like to know some good places to call.

GlassCages.com is the only place I know of.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before you go to glass cages you may want to look a little more into them
go to a few different forums and look up glasscages and see what come up...all i know is ill never go to them again, i dont care how cheap they are

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have been looking on another forum as I recall someone down in NC having a cracked tank (of considerable size) and they only wanted to credit him like $200????? The tank cost a couple grand and it cracked after delivery. I'd give the forum name but I don't know if that is accepted around here??? Definately check. I'll post the link to you in PM if I find it.

jermpool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
custom+acrylic= not cheap

Just my opinion, I think it would be hard to find one at an affordable price. But then again whats affordable to you might not be affordable to me :)

OP
OP
VanHalen

VanHalen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, i'm seeing 50/50 reviews for them. Their ebay store has GREAT feedback though hmmmmm....

I got a 125 glass tank from a great member on this site ;) and might just stick with that if I cant find one cheap ya know?

My biggest dream is to have an external coast to coast overflow. Anyone have good links on a diy for this?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OOOH that would be sweet and when I design my next tank it will have the externals on it for sure.

ironman

CRC Whipping Boy (round 2)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size tank are you looking for?
As for glass cages, Im not really sure what feedback there is on acrylic tanks from them. But as for glass tanks. it is hit or miss. I was just in the middle of ordering a custom tank a few months ago. It was a hard decision cause glass cages was half the price of everyone else. I started researching and found alot of tanks for sale from glasscages. most of which were cracked or had a seam come apart. alot said that they had been resealed. which means the seem came apart.n plus there silicone work leaves much to be desired. So If you have the intentions of building an inwall or a long term tank I wouldnt consider glass cages. but if you dont care about what happens several years down the road then they are definatly affordable. I also know of two people in knoxville who have had tanks built by class cages and have ahd no problems. I odnt think either of them are more than 3 years old though. So anyway that was just my 2 cents. There are several of good acrylic companies out there but they are pricey. and shipping doesnt help. Again this is all based on glass tanks. so i dont know how they would be on acrylic? there is some company that sell alot of acrylic tanks on ebay that is somewhere around here. Im not sure where. also I know where you can buy acrylic around here if you want to have alittle fun and build it yourself! lol. the reef club loves to help with custom builds! dont we rev? hehe.
Good luck man

OP
OP
VanHalen

VanHalen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who supplies good acrylic here? ( by the way for those reading...'here' is chattanooga, tn ;) )

I'd LOVE to build my own acrylic..just dont have the know how for that :(

ironman

CRC Whipping Boy (round 2)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent done alot of it, but if your patient and buy the right stuff it looks to be pretty easy. the place I buy mine is called technology sales. it is located at the corner of Hwy58 and access Rd. really close to where the govenors used to be.
the key seems to be having perfectly cut pieces. the better the mating surface the better the bond. If you take the measurements to them they will cut the pieces to your specs. so you shouldnt have to cut the main pieces. they arnt gonna get into details probly. but they should cut your main pieces no problem. they also sell the glues and tools to make the job better. If your pieces match up perfectly you run down the seem of two pieces of acrylic with this chemical they sell. it sucks itself into the joint and melts the two pieces together, then you can come back over it with a thicker sealer to make an even better seal. again I would do some research, but It should be easy once you get the process down pat. I know a local fish store made there own display tank here in town. and if they were able to make it hold water then anyone can! hehe.

OP
OP
VanHalen

VanHalen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I will do some more research and give them a call ;) I'd MUCH rather have them cut it too LOL

thanks a lot for the info ;)...maybe the next CRC meeting can be in my garage and you guys can show me what to do ;)

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a local guy custom build mine. Great work. It's 30"x30"x20" with an external overflow that's about 20" long. Externals are the best IMO.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a GlassCages 45g tall and I'm pretty happy with it. My dream tank is a 180 bow, so I won't be getting that from them, anyway. :) I may do a 120 between then and would trust them. They can be a bit difficult to deal with, but are good enough overall I think.

Brandon

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I also did alot of research before I bought a glasscages tank. On all the threads ( that I could find on rc ) that had negative feedback on them, I asked each person that had something bad to say, was that their own tank or just someone else's that they heard about. Almost all had no real experience with glass cages directly, only second hand gossip.
I did find out that one bad tank and the screaming about it ( from the buyer ) goes on for a long time, and them gets repeated by other people. People like to repeat bad stories.
I bought my 240 glass tank from them over a year and half ago and I'm completely happy with it.
When my tank was delivered, I agreed to pick up someone elses acrylic tanks for them.
I do like the glass products they make, but I don't think they made much of a effort to make a decent acrylic tanks. They just looked shoudy. Uneven seams, glue spills and very little polishing.
From glasscages,, glass yes,,,acrylic no. JMO

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, the glue work on my glass tank is fine and looks pretty good, actually. The main reason I went with them was to get Starphire on the front and sides, of which I love. :) Its as clear as acrylic, but with the "toughness" of glass.

Brandon

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back