OP
TopNotchCorals

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure those ice packs don't leak. I've used frozen water bottles before. It gets warm in the valley. ;)
Another similar good idea...eagleone copy eagleone over 10-4 roger that....lol sorry its late:tongue:

OP
OP
TopNotchCorals

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's getting to the point where Ill keep a couple ice trays full of RODI ice to drop in as needed.

The fans will cool the water through evaporation so be sure you have water in your topoff reservoirs!!
Good heads up on the fans,I am gonna try the frozen water bottle trick:cold:

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ve done similar to my tank i put ice in a ziploc bag and sat it in the back of my tank and watched and learned 1 small bag drops temp 1 degree in a 66 gal tank

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive used a small fan from walmart and it drops the tank 1 degree also...every degree counts :wink:

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a 28 gallon but Florida is has been on fire the past couple fo days. I just got a $9 desk fan from Walmart. Works GREAT! The fan even comes with a stand to sit it on a desk ot a clamp to clamp it on a desk. Well the clamp works great on an open top tank.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cool my tanks with 6-in. fans blowing over my sump. I think it's much more effective than blowing air over the tank surface. My sumps are under the tanks in stands and that's where the heat and humidity builds up. By moving that air out of the stand I think the overall water temp is cooled faster and more efficiently. I run fan-cooled T5 fixtures, so heat from them is a non-factor.
Gary

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are between $8 and $10 at Wal Mart and work wonders. I have used one over my tanks and sumps for 10 years. They last about 3 years under the stand with the moisture then i toss it and get another. This and two 4" computer fans combine to keep my 100G, 2x250w MH and 2x140w VHO totally enclosed system between 79 and 81 degrees year round.
Amazon.com: Holmes HACP7W-UC 7-Inch Clip-On Personal Fan: Kitchen & Dining

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cool my tanks with 6-in. fans blowing over my sump. I think it's much more effective than blowing air over the tank surface. My sumps are under the tanks in stands and that's where the heat and humidity builds up. By moving that air out of the stand I think the overall water temp is cooled faster and more efficiently. I run fan-cooled T5 fixtures, so heat from them is a non-factor.
Gary

Maybe I should move my 4 fans under my stand before I buy one of these walmart fans. I currently have them under the canopy running at 6V, but can also go up 3 more levels in voltage. My tank has always run high temp. Lately, 81-84degrees, ambient temp. 70-74.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house AC is set on 77 degrees. I have a fully enclosed canopy with two 120mm Vantec Stealth fans, one in each end, both blowing in and powered by a variable voltage DC power supply (wall wart), usually on 12v. There are equal sized holes in the roof of the canopy above the reflectors for heat to escape, often just by natural convection when the fans are off.
I have one Wal Mart clip on fan over the sump blowing across its length and the rear of the stand is open.
Lighting is 2x250w MH 9 hrs a day and sometimes supplemented by 2x140w VHO if I want to impress company with the coral coloration. The tank stays 79-81 year round with fans only in Phoenix. I kept my 1/4HP chiller and extra two summers just to make sure the fans could handle the heat before finally selling it. I don't miss the chiller and its noise and heat plus elevated electric bills at all!

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house AC is set on 77 degrees. I have a fully enclosed canopy with two 120mm Vantec Stealth fans, one in each end, both blowing in and powered by a variable voltage DC power supply (wall wart), usually on 12v. There are equal sized holes in the roof of the canopy above the reflectors for heat to escape, often just by natural convection when the fans are off.
I have one Wal Mart clip on fan over the sump blowing across its length and the rear of the stand is open.
Lighting is 2x250w MH 9 hrs a day and sometimes supplemented by 2x140w VHO if I want to impress company with the coral coloration. The tank stays 79-81 year round with fans only in Phoenix. I kept my 1/4HP chiller and extra two summers just to make sure the fans could handle the heat before finally selling it. I don't miss the chiller and its noise and heat plus elevated electric bills at all!

Interested in the holes you have in the roof of the canopy. How big are these holes and how many? I may have to add this to help with my cooling.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past few days here in the Bay Area its been pretty nice mid to upper 70's but today it hit just about 90 and my tank was in pretty bad shape:sad:.I keep my tank at a steady 76-79 degrees but today I got home from a picnic and my sps and chalice didnt look happy at all:cry:.They werent peeling away but it looked very close to it.I walked in the front door and the first thing I think about when the weather heats up is my tank,walk over to the reefkeeper lite and its at 83.7 degrees:hell_boy:.I dont have a chiller and didnt think I would need one being that Im running T5's,but I found a very good temporary solution to my problem "cold packs" I know I have cold packs on tap in my freezer because I have 2 kids and us parents know how boo boo's come a dime a dozen:wink:.I dropped 1 big one in the sump and it slowly started dropping.I let it melt away and dropped the smaller 2 in and it started dropping more little by little.I got the tank back down to 80.2 in about 30 mins.Thank God for my kids and the invention of cold packs:bigsmile:

I had that happen a few years ago in my 125, tank turned white due to lack of O2 from 87* water. I ended up using frozen peas to bring it down. I used to keep 3-4 2L soda bottles in the freezer 3/4 full of water. Now I just have my AC jr. turn off my lights if the temp hits 82.2*

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in the holes you have in the roof of the canopy. How big are these holes and how many? I may have to add this to help with my cooling.

I used 3/4" spade bit when I had a canopy. Had holes the whole back of the canopy and in the corners of the top and on either side of the center brace to let rising heat out.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The holes need to be at least equal to the size of the fans, in my case two 4" holes minimum. Small axial computer fans do not handle backpressure well so you want air to move freely.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 136 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back