Tank placement

bondno9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was planning on buying a 75 gallon aqueon tank and for some reason I thought my joists ran vertical but they run horizontal and my tank would be a peninsula style going horizontal as a divider between my pc and living room. I live on the second floor so I want to make sure I would be safe if I was to buy this tank.

If this tank isn’t safe I’ll have to get a lagoon style tank this way the weight will be distributed between multiple joists.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was planning on buying a 75 gallon aqueon tank and for some reason I thought my joists ran vertical but they run horizontal and my tank would be a peninsula style going horizontal as a divider between my pc and living room. I live on the second floor so I want to make sure I would be safe if I was to buy this tank.

If this tank isn’t safe I’ll have to get a lagoon style tank this way the weight will be distributed between multiple joists.
This gets brought up a lot on these forums. There are some people who will math it out for you and tell you what the load capacity is for typical apartments/houses/2nd floors, and how you'll probably be ok. But more often than not, the only real way to know for sure is to hire an engineer to check it out and see if you can or should do something about it before buying the tank.

OP
OP
B

bondno9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rather just get a lagoon tank and call it a day then get an engineer involved. Thanks brother.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Keep it away from windows which promote algae issues and UV rays

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back