Tank size for a newbie.

Which tank is the smart choice for a saltwater newbie?

• 36"x 20" AIO(50 gal)

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • 48"x20" AIO (65gal)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 24" x 20" sump system (total 55gal; 36gal display)

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 36" x 20" sump system (total 85gal; 60gal display)

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

vikkid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm conflicted on what sized tank to get for my first saltwater tank(have some experience on the freshwater side).
Below are done of the options I was thinking of and would like to see what the prevailing thought is.
Some requirements of mine-
1. Sturdy/adjustable (leg) stand as it goes in a place where kids run around and I don't have time to build another stand myself. So I'm looking at only the waterboxes as they seem to have a great ALU frame for their stands. So unfortunately no 40gal breeder :(.
2. Don't want any tanks large than 90 gal, as it's going on a non concrete floor and I don't want to take chances.
3. I want to keep fish that are both colorful and have great character(curious fish that interact with their environment). However I want to limit myself to easy corals and resilient fish to begin with.
4. Don't want to spend an arm and a leg at least in the beginning until I get a hang of it - so something that lets me scale but without unnecessary upfront cost.
5. Easy maintenance & a system that can keep things stable and pets healthy. Fyi - I do intend to use Neptune dos for water changes and an ato as well.

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience AIO tanks makes the whole sump idea a lot easier for a beginner. You basically throw stuff in the back and it works and you can fit skimmers and refugiums and just about anything you want. Also larger tank sizes tend to be easier as long as you don’t go too large. I think the AIO 50 is your best friend in both simplicity and learning about the hobby! Good luck I hope to see a build thread soon :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back