Tank Size?

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really don't save any money starting small. You WILL go big, it's not a matter of if, just when. You'll have money dumped into the smaller tank which could have gone to a larger tank. Yes using a 20g now will feel like you saved money, but, you will have tied up your $$$ in that when it could have gone right to the large tank you want.

I went right for a 150g as my first fish tank ever. My strong recommendation is to research a lot before jumping in to anything at all. I spent about 6 months really reading, watching video's (nobody has a good start to finish video out there worth watching, most add so much filler talk and never get to a point, that aside), and talking to people before I made my purchase. Even then I felt like I had no clue as to what I was doing when I did start.

To sum up! :) 20g is ok but bigger for first is way better! There is NO cheap way to do this hobby.

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may eventually go big, but I advocate starting relatively small. I've kept tanks ranging in total volume from 8 gallons to 300 gallons and I learned the most from my 25 gallon system. 8 is just too touchy, and too big (I don't have a cut off here) can simply mask husbandry problems. As someone else said, urinating in a bigger tank/bucket will not make it as dirty as a smaller one, but the result may be that you continue to pee in it until you have a bigger mess to clean up before you realize the problem. I mean, why wouldn't you continue to keep making the mistake if the you couldn't see an issue because the large size was hiding the problem? Then when it becomes apparent you will have been making the mistake for so long it may be hard to associate the cause with the effect, and you will have potentially a LOT of water changes to do to fix it.

I recommend 25-40 gallons and exercise a reasonable amount of restraint when adding fish. Keep yourself happy and entertained by adding inverts instead. There are almost limitless types of shrimp, crabs, corals, snails, worms, sponges, starfish, etc. that can be kept with adding almost no bioload whatsoever. Observe carefully, read as much as possible, and invest in decent test kits from the start (Red Sea in my opinion - which kits depends on what you want to keep) and use them and record the readings. When you have your small tank dialed in and stable and you understand why, then move up. My advice.

Last edited:

PCygni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a 75g DT with a 30g sump -- wish I would have got 125. May as well go big; it's more forgiving, and opens a lot more possibilities in terms of fish.

Arnie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key to keeping a successful saltwater / reef tank is stability. Smaller tanks are more of a challenge to keep stable. I'd go with the largest you can afford. I've currently got a 75 gal. With an auto top off to keep the salinity stable, a good skimmer and weekly 5gal water changes mine is doing great and I'm seeing growth on all of my corals...it finished cycling around the end of March.

+1........

Arnie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small tank or big tank... just prepare for this :)

empty-wallet-SC.jpg

+1.........

Arnie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a 30g with canisters no sump... learned the hard way... got a 65g now with a 20g sump... much happier with all parameters.... less stress on a bigger system... i cant go larger. as I live in a condo.... whenI move to a house i will grab a min of 125g... Good Luck...

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throw 4" of sand in that 20 with good live rock, a couple powerheads, heater, hang on back filter and lights and you're good to go. This 29 is set up that way

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1409429797296.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1409429797296.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 93
OP
OP
bclark1289

bclark1289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im getting a deal on some tanks,so i think i am going to do alot of diy stuff mixed with good quality equipment. I am going to make my main tank a 55gal to start with a 20gal home made sump. Is that a good tank to sump ratio?

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im getting a deal on some tanks,so i think i am going to do alot of diy stuff mixed with good quality equipment. I am going to make my main tank a 55gal to start with a 20gal home made sump. Is that a good tank to sump ratio?

Yes, that was my first setup as well.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be fine. The problem with the 55 is that there's not much room in width for rock and corals

OP
OP
bclark1289

bclark1289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just going to be the tank to get my foot in the door and scratch the itch until i buy my house . Might use it for a qt or something later down the line.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one of those 10 happen to be a 40b go with that instead. Believe it or not a 40b and 55 both actually hold approximately 50gallons opposed to their titles. The 40b is a more favorable footprint. Unless of course there's other factors like you have limited room one way versus the other.

OP
OP
bclark1289

bclark1289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually that is one factor. I live in a trailer right now and a skinny tank would probably work better. But i will see tomorrow and post on here once i know exactly what i am getting in the deal.

Texas Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be aware of the weight of the tank and water on the flooring of a trailer. You might want to add some support underneath.

OP
OP
bclark1289

bclark1289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i hit the mother load with this tank deal. I got 13 tanks not 10 all for $20. Sure i had to clean and water test them all, but thats fine.
I got:
5- 10gal tanks
1-20gal tank (65Lx8Wx8.5H)
1-21gal tank (24Lx12.25Wx16.5H)
4-30gal tanks (30Lx12.5Wx18.5H)
1-50gal tank (58Lx12.5Wx19H)
And a tank that my wife wants because it has a locking top for her snake.

Think i am going to use the 50gal as my first tank with a 30 as my sump. Might take 2 of the 10s for qt tanks

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like a good plan although a foot wide seems very narrow. Congrats on getting all of the those tanks! that's impressive

OP
OP
bclark1289

bclark1289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it is, but it will do until i can get a new place with more room for a bigger tank. Thinking a clown pair maybe a bristletooth a gobie and a couple zoas maybe a couple ,ushroom sto start. Then whenthe tank matures throw in 2 anems forthe clowns.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back