Tank Transfer Method Quarantine - How fast to introduce fish

wamy2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for tips on how fast we can introduce fish to a tank after going through TTM.

We have a 200g reef system that we are going to let go fallow. We have always just managed Ich but want to ensure it is gone completely before we introduce our Powder Blue.

We have always had success with the Tank Transfer Method and feel confident in that method as we don't like using copper.

We will be slowly taking out all the fish from our 200. Do a 14 day TTM, we change over water every 48 hours. Then place them in our clean 150g FOWLR to hold them for the 76 days while the 200 goes fallow.

Because of the size for each tank we can only do a few at a time, some only 1 fish at a time. With that and the amount of fish we have this could drag out 3 months just to get them all out and start the fallow period. Putting the entire process to get them back 6 months. Which, if that's what we need to do that's fine.

My question is, how many fish could we do at a time, as far as putting them in the 150, and even at that fact, when it's time to putting them back in the 200. We don't want to over do the bioload too quickly. I would like to set up 3 TTM setups so we have a little quicker turnover, but not sure if we can add that many at a time to the 150.

For example,

First batch:
Tank 1 would have a fox face, Tank 2 would have Bristletooth tang, firefish and small dragonet , Tank 3 would have a yellow tang, and royal gramma.

Second batch:
Tank 1 would have a Melanarus, fairy wrasse and cleaner wrasse, Tank 2 would have a Midas blenny, long nose hawk and flame hawk, Tank 3 would have 4 anthias and 2 clowns.

These are all our fish:
(there will be a powder blue that is ahead of everyone so will be in the 150 first, so thinking of doing the two tangs right away and then introducing all 3 together back into the 200 when it's time)

Some fish (fox face, long nose, flame hawk and a clown will be staying in the 150)

Fox Face
Yellow tang
Bristetooth tang
Anthias - 4
Clowns - 2
Firefish - 4
Melanarus Wrasse
Blue Head Fairy Wrasse
Cleaner Wrasse
Midas Blenny
Spotted Dragonet
Royal Gramma
Long Nose Hawk
Flame Haw

So, to recap, can we introduce a fox face, bristletooth tang, yellow tang, 4 fire fish, dragonet, and a royal gramma at one time?

Thank you! If anyone has any other suggestions I'm open.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes
I think your plan will work as long as the150 is cycled and you are ghost feeding while your fish go thru the TTM
I would keep a bottle of prime on hand just in case of a rare ammonia spike.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 36 48.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back