Taras Talks!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have something I'd like to request from Taras:

go into the nuisance algae forum here, and make a post titled: post here for your algae invasion fixes

and then post that thread, we watch him work live time jobs.

that's a lot of teaching videos above, a lot.

let's see some live time work where all the variables are in someone else's home. he can instruct them to insert any manner of clean up crews, refugiums, algae controls/and we'll get to see the outcomes in live tests.

I have a going theory that youtube teachers would never, ever, ever actually attempt those steps above, wanting Taras to show me that's not a correct assumption.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to a brand new series from the Top Shelf's Youtube Channel! Taras Pleskin is a wealth of knowledge, and starting up this series is a great way to get YOU, the hobbyist, more useful information! To kick off the series in today's episode Taras is going to talk all things Moina, and let us know their use in our saltwater aquariums!

Taras is actively culturing these critters in house, and is doing an amazing job creating healthy and thriving populations of microfauna!

Be sure to drop a comment on the video, and let us know what other critters you'd love to hear about from Taras!

I have learned more in this series, than anything else I have looked at. Specifically, that Taras gives us the actual science, doesn’t dumb it down - makes our brains work just a bit; but at the same time mixes in hilarious analogies that are usually the light-bulb moments for me. He also makes the point in short videos (30 minutes at the most). which is nice. However, if you guys chose in the future to combine a topic in a longer format, I relish that too. Digesting educational content comes in many forms for all of us. Thank you TSA and Taras!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one last post then I'll let the request die down unaddressed as it will.

can we get a Taras does live time work example to go along with the videos? how about at least having Taras decline the request directly here vs just ignoring it

a reefing teacher should be able to do live time demos. its a simple matter: he posts a thread in the nuisance algae forum asking for live time jobs to fix, then do a video after ten of those and discuss outcomes in the video

one can separate one's self from the pack (people who don't do live time work, ever, but are still teachers) with a work ethic like that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In today's episode we take a few steps back and talk about a very particular tribe of the Serranidae fish family, the Anthiinae! Taras takes us through unique nature of Anthias, what makes them distinct from their cousins the groupers and basslets, and how you can start to care for Anthias in your aquariums at home!

Got a topic you want Taras to talk about next? Dying to know more about your favorite aquarium topics? Leave us a comment down below so we can put out the content you want to see!

Be sure to like, subscribe, and hit the bell notification!

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In today's episode we take a few steps back and talk about a very particular tribe of the Serranidae fish family, the Anthiinae! Taras takes us through unique nature of Anthias, what makes them distinct from their cousins the groupers and basslets, and how you can start to care for Anthias in your aquariums at home!

Got a topic you want Taras to talk about next? Dying to know more about your favorite aquarium topics? Leave us a comment down below so we can put out the content you want to see!

Just watched this last night. I have multiple kinds of Anthias on my stocking list for my new tank and this video was an eye-opener especially on Frequency of Feeding.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TopShelfAquatics

-Got a topic you want Taras to talk about next?

yes, I honestly wanted him to work some live time jobs in the nuisance algae forum, make a video on how he fixed those

that's not an unreasonable request right?

the request is simple: attain results and summary outcomes as stated by someone else, by the pics of the change in reef tank condition caused by the consultation. that's borderline fun as a challenge, I don't know why writers don't seek that out unprompted, it's really challenging but very very helpful at the same time. I won't ask anymore but I thought the request was at least fair to acknowledge especially in review of requested talk topics.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TopShelfAquatics

-Got a topic you want Taras to talk about next?

yes, I honestly wanted him to work some live time jobs in the nuisance algae forum, make a video on how he fixed those

that's not an unreasonable request right?

the request is simple: attain results and summary outcomes as stated by someone else, by the pics of the change in reef tank condition caused by the consultation. that's borderline fun as a challenge, I don't know why writers don't seek that out unprompted, it's really challenging but very very helpful at the same time. I won't ask anymore but I thought the request was at least fair to acknowledge.

one last post then I'll let the request die down unaddressed as it will.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's no time I would post an invite thread and then not respond to an invite. I honestly thought the request was fair, balanced, reasonable, and just simply fun.

I had this math teacher once who, when called to the front of the class, could do amazing calculations in his mind and we'd double check him on the calcs. nothing like rainman but far beyond what people can do typically, he smiled when we asked him for a quick challenge on some 3 digit x 3 digits multiplication.

where is the reefing equivalent of that? if we frame it that way, my request is harmless eighth grade fun.

why is it like pulling teeth though to find demonstration teachers in 2024 lol, where did they go? there must be a thousand reefing by video teachers, just not any live-timers, especially those who smile at the challenge

I miss 1987.

I hated to hop into this thread but you wrote it at the exact time I wrote another thread asking for reef teachers, educators, to do this fun challenge.

this challenge draws out good talents

look at this work request pool just from today's nuisance algae forum --this is article and video outcome documented gold:
1709048204428.png

go to the forum and click on the one above titled "Need Help"

that's where reef teachers are needed, where the equations of effort and outcome aren't adding up. notice in that thread how only other students of reefing are there to help him with honorable efforts? no teachers, only students

someone change that standard pls/

Last edited:

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's no time I would post an invite thread and then not respond to an invite. I honestly thought the request was fair, balanced, reasonable, and just simply fun.

I had this math teacher once who, when called to the front of the class, could do amazing calculations in his mind and we'd double check him on the calcs. nothing like rainman but far beyond what people can do typically, he smiled when we asked him for a quick challenge on some 3 digit x 3 digits multiplication.

where is the reefing equivalent of that? if we frame it that way, my request is harmless eighth grade fun.

why is it like pulling teeth though to find demonstration teachers in 2024 lol, where did they go? we have a world of pros, just not any live-timers. I miss 1987.

I hated to hop into this thread but you wrote it at the exact time I wrote another thread asking for reef teachers, educators, to do this fun challenge. it's to help reefing its not to put people on the spot

this challenge draws out good talents

look at this work request pool just from today's nuisance algae forum --this is article and video outcome documented gold:
1709048204428.png
Brandon, it’s just that you’ve already asked for Taras to do these certain style of videos you’re wanting. You wrote that you wouldn’t ask again and would let it sit.

I just don’t want this thread to become another one where the videos are lost to repeated requests of the same thing; pages long looking for the videos.

And I won’t get in a P match with you either. I just want to have a thread that this newbie can get the information easily accessible.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 39.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.8%
Back