Temperature Compensation for Salinity

marine_inverts24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to move from a pinpoint salinity meter to a Hanna meter and confused about what I should use for a conversion factor and Beta factor in the Hanna meter. I guess Beta ranges from 0 (no conversion) to 2. My saltwater aquaria are maintained at 10-12C (deep ocean invertebrates), so we're about 20 degrees below room temperature and need to measure salinity at room temperature when making up new water for water changes but also monitor at the cold temps and it would be nice to just let the meter do the reading accurately without having to consult a temperature/conductivity chart. Any suggestions? Thank you!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about the Hanna digital salinity checker? I think it does temp correction automatically

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2Reef!

I'd check the accuracy of the Hanna or other conductivity meter internal conversions by taking the same water at different temps and see if it reads close enough for you.

If it does not, then you might think about some sort of manual conversions. Some expensive meters allow you to adjust the temp compensation, but inexpensive ones rarely do.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back