Tetradotoxin or Palytoxin. You may not know you have

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who are new and don't know that your pufferfish may contain tetrodotoxin which can be roughly 100-200x deadlier than potassium cyanide. 25 milligrams of it can kill a 170lb human considering if you ate a puffer. In Japan fugu the delicacy of eating a pufferfish, if not prepared right which reports proven that deaths upon tetradotoxin have occurred multiple times. Of course the toxin is found in the puffer fishes flesh but is found in the blue ring octopus's bite. You may not feel it take effect but you'll be encountering respiratory depression and paralysis which can obviously lead to death. Only treatment of tetradotoxin would be immediate medical attention.

Now with Palytoxin this one whoever has been in the hobby long enough to hear about that guy who wanted to dry his rock and kill everything on it so he can reuse it later. So he boiler it. But not knowing that some palythoas or zoas carrying Palytoxin. Him, his wife, and his dogs basically were breathing it because he intoxicated the air with it. Here's the article. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blo...-poisoning-almost-killed-myself-wife-and-dogs
But whenever fragging or dealing with any zoas especially palythoas you want to make sure you want to make sure you wear eye protection when fragging to make sure they don't squirt at you, whenever handling them to wash your hands or wear gloves and cover any open wounds or cuts, and make sure you don't boil any rock even outside because this stuff is so toxic. I pulled the following from an article

“The dose at which 50% of exposed animals die following intravenous administration of palytoxin (LD50) has been shown to be as low as 0.033 µg/kg body weight”. For a 200lb man, this means that intravenous exposure to palytoxin requires as little as 0.003 grams for half of people; that’s almost a tenth the weight of a grain of rice!" https://reefbuilders.com/2015/08/26/palytoxin-dangerous/

So a tenth weight of a grain of rice can basically kill a 200lb man.

To watch a full presentation by non other than Julian Sprung himself here's the link. He goes over this toxin and the history he has had with it as well as precautions that should be taken when dealing with this.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back