The DOs and DON’Ts of Quarantine

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you so much for all of this info. I am about to set up a 65 gallon marine tank, and have been slowly adding to everything I need to do this. I am also working on getting a 20 gallon QT tank set up, but my questions is in regard to what you mentioned about "seeding" the biomedia. So should I set up the 65 gallon tank, and put like 2 clowns in it and run that for at least a month and then work on setting up the QT tank and then add fish to the QT? Or should I not put any fish in the display tank, and if so how would I get the bacteria I need? Using the bottled type? What would you suggest?

I'm gonna say, if you're going full QT mindset, you don't want to put in any fish into your 65gal without them going through QT first. That's to say, setup your 20gal QT, add your bacteria in a bottle and let it cycle then add fish to QT. Repeat for 65gal after that. It's been my experience, in using Biospira, you can pour the recommended amount of bacteria in, add some Dr. Tim's ammonia according to dosing instructions, and it'll bring the ammonia down within a day or two.

Louis Casale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna say, if you're going full QT mindset, you don't want to put in any fish into your 65gal without them going through QT first. That's to say, setup your 20gal QT, add your bacteria in a bottle and let it cycle then add fish to QT. Repeat for 65gal after that. It's been my experience, in using Biospira, you can pour the recommended amount of bacteria in, add some Dr. Tim's ammonia according to dosing instructions, and it'll bring the ammonia down within a day or two.
Thanks Skep!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back