The Farm (37gal total)

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to post up about the state of my current frag system. After running an LFS and coral production with a few thousand gallons, this one is quite a shift. However, I’m finding many perks with the smaller size; mainly ease of maintenance and keeping it clean.
It was initially set it up as an interim tank to Condition livestock for my 75 gallon display, but I’m quickly finding out that it’s definitely “necessary”.
It’s nothing fancy equipment wise. The frag system is 24“ x 18” x 12” deep with an overflow, utilizing a Red Sea Reef LED 90 (which is definitely overkill but was what I had on hand, have it dialed back to around 27% but will be messing with the intensity in the future).
There is a small sump which actually was the reservoir from a Red Sea Reefer 900 that we weren’t utilizing so I just snagged that and added a filter, stockholder and a small media reactor. It ended up being similar dimensions so fit the stand perfectly. The other equipment is a vertex protein skimmer, which is running and Sicce Pump, I find these to be great little work horses rated for around 60 to 75 gallons tops (RIP Vertex), coupled with an Eheim pump, per hour and a Tunze turbelle stream.
IMG_2304.jpeg
IMG_2294.jpeg
IMG_2297.jpeg
IMG_2298.jpeg
IMG_2312.jpeg
IMG_2315.jpeg
IMG_2315.jpeg

OP
OP
reefadam

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can’t quit. Many of these pieces were legacy pieces taken from my previous shop. (Doesn’t mean they’re particularly “rare” or anything, mainly just been growing them for years). The others are my new “investments” from RAP.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to post up about the state of my current frag system. After running an LFS and coral production with a few thousand gallons, this one is quite a shift. However, I’m finding many perks with the smaller size; mainly ease of maintenance and keeping it clean.
It was initially set it up as an interim tank to Condition livestock for my 75 gallon display, but I’m quickly finding out that it’s definitely “necessary”.
It’s nothing fancy equipment wise. The frag system is 24“ x 18” x 12” deep with an overflow, utilizing a Red Sea Reef LED 90 (which is definitely overkill but was what I had on hand, have it dialed back to around 27% but will be messing with the intensity in the future).
There is a small sump which actually was the reservoir from a Red Sea Reefer 900 that we weren’t utilizing so I just snagged that and added a filter, stockholder and a small media reactor. It ended up being similar dimensions so fit the stand perfectly. The other equipment is a vertex protein skimmer, which is running and Sicce Pump, I find these to be great little work horses rated for around 60 to 75 gallons tops (RIP Vertex), coupled with an Eheim pump, per hour and a Tunze turbelle stream.
IMG_2304.jpeg
IMG_2294.jpeg
IMG_2297.jpeg
IMG_2298.jpeg
IMG_2312.jpeg
IMG_2315.jpeg
IMG_2315.jpeg
Some great looking frags in there!

OP
OP
reefadam

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome little set up. Do you have a favourite piece?
Thanks! I always have a hard time picking favorites, but in this tank probably the Tubbs blues, sympodium (I remember when sympodium was only seen as a hitchhiker on combo rocks and “new” to the hobby, it got me so excited to “discover” it), and of course the Dendros. Dendros are just amazing and will be going into the display soon.
I also have a small elegance frag that is from the ReefFarmers lineage I acquired around 2011. Say what you will about “LE” corals, but I find this to be a really cool piece of reefing history, with the mother coral originating in 1988!!! At the time, most elegance were considered a cut flower type coral destined to die. I’ve found this strain to be particularly hearty and definitely prefers a “dirtier” tank. I have a larger colony in the display that gets fragged a few times per year. One of my customers grew one out to over the size of a basketball!
Of my more recent additions, I’m super excited to see what happens with the jawbreaker and a few other shrooms I picked up at RAP.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know comparatively, 37 gallons isn't much, but it's still ~400 lbs.

By the looks of that stand, it seems that you have 8 fasteners (screws) holding that weight up. It would be wise to consider adding supports that can properly hold/carry that load.

OP
OP
reefadam

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know comparatively, 37 gallons isn't much, but it's still ~400 lbs.

By the looks of that stand, it seems that you have 8 fasteners (screws) holding that weight up. It would be wise to consider adding supports that can properly hold/carry that load.
Thanks, there’s also angle brackets on each corner. The display tank on top is 20 gals so about 180lbs, with an additional 15-17 gals in the sump.
I’ve been considering adding a wood platform between the tank and stand to help distribute the weight down the legs, just haven’t gotten around to it.

OP
OP
reefadam

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been really enamored with this Leather coral I got from @docaquarium at RAP. It was pretty cheap, but I’ve never seen another leather with polyps like this one so thought it was pretty unique and cool. My wife liked it too and has named it the cactus coral.
IMG_2330.jpeg

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! How do you like the dimensions? I was thinking about trying a first frag tank going 24x24x10. In your experience is 10" deep enough? It looks like you have some height to spare.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back