MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby for 30+.
My tank is similar size but not a peninsula. 59×30×21.7
I went with 2 ReefBreeder 50's for lights. I was going to go with 5 xr15 in a hybrid T5 but am just going to use the 15's on my frag system since I know what they do from my old system.
I cam get 400 par on the bottom with the Breeders.
I prefer a calcium reactor and have a geo 818 with a Kamoer pump to pull through.
For flow I am using 2 sea sweeps with 2 Tunze 6255's. I did not want
Multiple powerheads as I ran 6 in my old 120.
The sweeps provide excellent random flow. Running on lowest setting and turning up as the system grows in. The 6255's are very strong pumps and will be all I need.
My 150lbs of live rock should be here next week.
Check my current build for more info.
Checked out your build thread. Awesome setup! I was looking at the Wavy Sea/Tunze setup. How difficult is it to remove the pumps for cleaning? They say you can only run the pumps on a consistent flow, you shouldn’t pulse them. Wondering if you are planning on running them in a pulse mode? My guess is the pulse mode may limit the life of the Wavy Sea?

OP
OP
M

MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heading out to Ace Hardware for a what feels like the 100th time. Making some changes/upgrades to the Cade plumbing that I will post soon.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest concern with a controller is if the controller itself fails and you have the majority of your equipment plugged into it. Is there any type of alert/notification that would be sent if this occurred?

You set what you want the outlets to be set to id for some reason the brain fails. Really, the risk would be if the power strip dies and less so the brain. I doubt there is a way to get a notification if the brain fails, since...well...the brain failed. If the powerstrip fails, you can use sensors to trigger alerts.

OP
OP
M

MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to do a floating light bar like the one from Reef Dudes. I have someone helping me with the design within the forum.

Here’s another option -
Post in thread 'Isaac's CADE 1500s2/ Peninsula Reef Build'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/isaacs-cade-1500s2-peninsula-reef-build.919947/post-10386374

For light spill, Treasure Corals has something for the AI Blades. I may consider that as well.
Isaac’s build is incredible! Love all the improvements he has made to the Cade setup. I hope he concurs those Dinos soon. My last tank I setup was taken down due too 6 months of fighting Dinos☹️

OP
OP
M

MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You set what you want the outlets to be set to id for some reason the brain fails. Really, the risk would be if the power strip dies and less so the brain. I doubt there is a way to get a notification if the brain fails, since...well...the brain failed. If the powerstrip fails, you can use sensors to trigger alerts.

OP
OP
M

MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Yea I guess I need to take some baby steps and get on the technology train sometime. Yes I plan to still use a refractometer and do weekly manual water changes. I miss the warm glow of metal halides and the buzzing of magnetic ballasts

OP
OP
M

MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to add removable grates to the overflow down pipes. Mission accomplished.
E11DCBE4-231B-4B15-AB4B-7F7145B9B50B.jpeg
9272150C-2604-4EB2-B6D1-241DC2F5DAC2.jpeg
43682934-BF75-425E-A219-018A1C0B505D.jpeg

Last edited:

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the popular controllers, if the brain fails (disconnects from cliud, loses power, whatever) you get a notification. This is standard now and I would not consider a controller without this feature.

OP
OP
M

MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, was not happy with the crappy hose and clamps that were provided with the return lines in the overflow box. Replaced both.

91722F84-13BD-4CC0-BF01-B69879DAA815.jpeg
EADEE932-C7D4-49BB-99B8-F243062A0E00.jpeg
7C1189AE-D0AC-49E8-8761-644A7B12C698.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was strange that the bottom white vinyl material covered the bottom of the overflow. I wanted to be able to see into the bottom of the overflow box. Also, thought this could be a potential leak area in the future. Wanted to ensure I had direct contact between the glass and the o-rings/gaskets. I removed it with a razor blade.
8A54097F-A21F-430C-AE2E-713192E764CD.jpeg

OP
OP
M

MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the popular controllers, if the brain fails (disconnects from cliud, loses power, whatever) you get a notification. This is standard now and I would not consider a controller without this feature.
Thanks for that info! That’s a feature I would definitely want.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that info! That’s a feature I would definitely want.
Typically if the controller does not ping the central server every 15-30 minutes, the server will send you a message by email or text depending on how you configure. I have not had the controller itself fail, but have had GFCI trigger etc causing loss of power to the controller.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For supplimental lights im really liking my chinese orphek OR3 knockoffs.
You can get the real ones but i think they are far superior then AI blades.

I also hear the new revision ones have wifi support.

But you should check them out.

Also i have 2 xr30 blue's G6, and they are super bright.
So bright i need to turn down the intensity to like 30% otherwise i will melt my LPS and softies.

So i have them on low, blue's really high, suppliment OR3 knock off's for more blue and UV, and a cobalt cvue for a more accurate dawn/dusk effect, plus to give me some extra whites.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked out your build thread. Awesome setup! I was looking at the Wavy Sea/Tunze setup. How difficult is it to remove the pumps for cleaning? They say you can only run the pumps on a consistent flow, you shouldn’t pulse them. Wondering if you are planning on running them in a pulse mode? My guess is the pulse mode may limit the life of the Wavy Sea?
No need for pulse mode with the sweeps. Yes pulse mode will damage them.
The whole unit is easily removed with the 2 nylon screws and I can sit it in a bucket to clean.
One sweep and one 6255 is only around $100 more than an mp60.

OP
OP
M

MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically if the controller does not ping the central server every 15-30 minutes, the server will send you a message by email or text depending on how you configure. I have not had the controller itself fail, but have had GFCI trigger etc causing loss of power to the controller.

So bright i need to turn down the intensity to like 30% otherwise i will melt my LPS and softies.

So i have them on low, blue's really high, suppliment OR3 knock off's for more blue and UV, and a cobalt cvue for a more accurate dawn/dusk effect, plus to give me some extra whites.

I had been looking at Orphek lighting as well. Will definitely research this light further. Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
M

MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for pulse mode with the sweeps. Yes pulse mode will damage them.
The whole unit is easily removed with the 2 nylon screws and I can sit it in a bucket to clean.
One sweep and one 6255 is only around $100 more than an mp60.
Good to know. So many good options out there.

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my build thread, we've got a lot in common. I'm running the Cade 1800 S2/p with the ultra reef skimmer, also 4 blade lights (+ Orphek Icon now)...

Good luck!

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the clam maybe 9-10 months ago. It's grown significantly since. Pretty happy with that addition, though it does suck up a LOT of nutrients. Mostly calcium.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back