The official reef keeping "DON'T" and "NEVER" list- v1.0

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Never top off your aquarium at "Omigod o'clock" in the AM in the dark. Trust me on this.

-Don't think that this is the one time you'll be able to skip rinsing that bag of sand because it "looks pretty clean."

-Don't start re-arranging "just a few" rocks in your tank before you head out the door for work, or you'll be calling in sick within the hour. You will.

DSC_0041-1.jpg

-Never setup a new reactor, lighting system, or anything involving multiple plumbing connections prior to departing on a trip of pretty much any duration. Just don't do this.

IMG_1074.JPG

Don't assume that "it's all good" because you have an electronic controller monitoring everything. Nope.

IMG_0555.JPG

-Don't put that cube of brine shrimp or frozen mysis in a cup on the shelf in your closet to "thaw a bit" while you're putting on your tie before rushing off to work. You'll know all about why at 5:30PM that night. Enough said.

-Never tell yourself you're just going to pick up just ONE new frag at the club meeting. Won't happen. Forget that notion altogether.

IMG_8270.jpg

-Don't reach into the tank to make that "quick adjustment" on something without having a dry towel handy. Do this once with the skeptical spouse/roommate/significant other around and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

-Don't think that this will be "the last coral" you add into your tank...

IMG_1317.JPG

-Never log onto a coral vendor's website just before a major bill is due. Yup.

logo.jpg

-Don't believe that you'll be the one guy who can keep multiple Centropyge angelfish in a 55 gallon tank without bloodshed. You aren't.

2012-07-15 04.37.42.jpg

-Never assume that the siphon hose is in the bucket before you start it. Please believe me on this.

-Don't assume that you have "one more outlet" left on that power strip. You don't.

powerstrip_large.jpg

-Never try to "shake a small amount" of fish food right out of the container into your tank. Nope.

-Don't believe the words "easy to set up" in reference to an aquarium component. Especially when the component is of international origin.

mwmsch_large.jpg

Don't forget to stop at the ATM before your next fish club meeting. Seriously.

cash_large.jpg

-Don't fool yourself into believing that you can net that fish that's been terrorizing your tank without pulling out all of the rocks and coral.

marcopardun9.jpg

-Never believe that your new fish won't need to be quarantined "because the LFS does it..."

-Don't think that you'll be able to house and raise all the fry from that pair of Clownfish.

clownfish-breeding-eggs.jpg

Don't believe that you'll just be satisfied with one aquarium! You suffer from "Multiple Tank Syndrome" and may not even know it. Yet.

IMG_1829_large.JPG

And never forget to...

Stay wet.

Scott Fellman

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have done most of those things, never do any plumbing right before you go to bed. Three dwarf angels one flame and two coral beauty in 240 gallon display and now down one flame and a powder brown tang the more settled the angels got the more aggressive they became. So even the sometime can be never for some of us.

Ljmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never trust the commercial fish service guy to take care of your tank while out of the country for two weeks. He is an idiot and will steal your money almost crash your tank and kill half your corals/fish!

60squared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never leave RODI water running in a bucket/container on any surface you dont want to end up wet at some point. becaue you will eventually forget and have a flood no matter how good you think your timing is :p

Last edited:

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never leave RODI water running in a bucket/container on any surface you dont want to end up wet at some point. becaue you will eventually forget and have a flood no matter how good you think your timing is :p
That has happened so I put a float valve on to backup my memory

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did this overnight. My Rodi tank was sitting near a vent on my hardwood. It ran through the vent and poured into my garage. Unfortunately my open sunroof was directly below that vent. Had an inch of water in my car's floorboard.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't assume your new $$$ fish won't jump out of the tank in the 10 mins your top is open after you forget to close it after a feeding. And if you do, don't think your kids will ever forget you let Nemo's wife die on the floor because of it.

OP
OP
Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have done most of those things, never do any plumbing right before you go to bed. Three dwarf angels one flame and two coral beauty in 240 gallon display and now down one flame and a powder brown tang the more settled the angels got the more aggressive they became. So even the sometime can be never for some of us.
Actually, the modification of the "plumbing rule" is best for me: "Just don't attempt ANY plumbing...EVER." :)

OP
OP
Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't assume your new $$$ fish won't jump out of the tank in the 10 mins your top is open after you forget to close it after a feeding. And if you do, don't think your kids will ever forget you let Nemo's wife die on the floor because of it.
Ohh...not good!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back