The Rebirth/Rebuild of my 180g sps thread

naldopr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey my friend naldor!! My tank from the last redo has gone thru a lot. Right now I am running things and getting back to normal. My water quality had gone down the drain while the main pump had died and I had all those summer trips that you know I go on because of work.
How r ya doing? Got a tank up in PR yet?

we r doing great man so far good thanks god. on the tank we are planning something good in PR when I get confirmation of this I let you know:bigsmile:, take care keep me posted
Arnaldo

OP
OP
Acronuts

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9-23-2012
Update today I will do a 20% WC.
I added these beauties this past week and just got to upload them for record purposes of the thread but for me also to gauge growth as time goes on.
This is a watermelon chalice that needs no photo shopping whatsoever!!!
Key lime mango sherbet chalice
RSCN8803_zps1ce26a09.jpg

Here is the entire chalice
DSCN8793a_zps9527a6b1.jpg

Some pretty green/blue zoas for bottom color
RSCN8808_zpsbaf65dee.jpg

RSCN8806_zps37bcfc42.jpg

OP
OP
Acronuts

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more additions
RSCN8805_zps822517dc.jpg

Nicely colored pink milli
RSCN8802_zps514d437a.jpg

Great florescent green acro, this one looks great under actinic as well as MH radiums
RSCN8800_zps5e9f7c89.jpg

Well here she is guys. Still need to glue the last few pieces but at least you can see the beginning bones.
DSCN8744.jpg

OP
OP
Acronuts

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick video that I took from my ipad the other night.
Not 100% happy w it. Why? Well video camera does not let me adjust white balance on the ipad. Which causes the pic to show almost w a blue hue to it. If the ipad does have a way to control the white balanace I have not figured out yet how to adjust it.
But it at least shows what is happening today in the tank and also helps me keep a record of what the corals look like and what they will look like 6 months from now.
One thing that you can tell is how the rock work, from being bleached, has started to cover up nicely in purple coraline algae.

My 180g 9-2012 video log - YouTube

OP
OP
Acronuts

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 10-14-2012
Things are coming along pretty well. I have started to use the Red Sea Reef Care Program.
While it is too soon to tell of its benefits I have implemented the reef foundation ABC and the NoPox part of the system.
I can say that in the last month of using NoPox in testing my nitrates are hovering around 8ppm to 4ppm and phosphates 0.20ppm to 0.16ppm.
My target levels are nitrates around 2ppm and phosphates around 0.02ppm.
One of the main reasons I think that the levels have not been reached is due to the fact that I am afraid of making any fast uncalculated dosing.
With that being said I am making an effort to use the product according to the recommended dosages. Testing is key until I get to where my target levels will be.
I have not seen any evidence of the hair algae that plagued my tank.
Could it be that the tank has finally matured and there is enough bacteria to take care of the hair algae? Not sure but the No and Phos levels have been steady and no increases on either of those paramters.
An explosive growth of purple and pink coralline algae. Most of the star board is competely covered with red/purple coraline algae. At first some brown diatom algae showed up on the front and back glass. The brown diatom algae was telling me that the tank was in one way or another still adjusting. Now I am getting the familiar green algae that you scrap off with the blades or floating type magnets.
I still feed every other day and mh lights are still at 4 hrs per day, on some days its on more like 5 hrs as I tinker around the tank. Actinics are at 6 hrs per day. As for the corals only some of the recently bought sps have seen some color changes. As I continue to increase the light source I will see the colors come back 100%.
Most of the monti's have kept great coloring. A couple chalice's are showing signs of possibly getting to much light but will continue to monitor them.
Last night I was replacing the two wets sides of my ES mp40's and next thing I know my cleaner shrimp is crawling on my hand pecking the hairs on my hand. Lol !!! He seems to now figure he is big enough and he can.
Calcium is being consumed because I have to dose the reef foundation for 3 days in order to keep a level of about 450.
Alk has been VERY steady at 8.0dkh to 8.2dkh.
Mg at a steady 1450
Salinity continues to stay at 1.024. I owe this to the ATO that doses evaporated water as needed.
As for growth.....most of the chalices are showing their typical green rings.
The acro's and monti's are not showing signs yet of growth yet.
The Atlantic blue ridge coral is showing signs of encrusting a neighboring rock. I will have to get a pic to post.
The following are my latest additions. I am trying to acquire some of the old sps pieces I used to have but they are hard to find these days.
I'll keep looking though!
Hollywood Stunner chalice
RSCN8878.jpg

Red Stylocinella
RSCN8882.jpg

ORA's Ponape birdsnest
RSCN8880.jpg

ORA's Purple Nana
RSCN8884.jpg

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice stuff! In the original FTS (post #5), in the top right corner. Is that just epoxy holding that acro down? I can never get it to stick underwater.

OP
OP
Acronuts

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Koletang, thxs!
Yes in that pic it was the two part epoxy that you mush together. Then it hardens even under water. I also used a gel glue when attaching it to the rock.

OP
OP
Acronuts

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 10/31/2012
Well things in reef - a - palozza are always changing BUT for the better.
My choice to continue the Red Sea's reef care program have allowed me to measure and analyze those results so I can take action.
So far I have gotten the No3 down to 0.0ppm. My Phos are down to 0.08ppm. I am following the manufacture instructions and now adjusting the NoPox additions so that my nitrates are between 1 - 2ppm. Gee never thought I would be wanting nitrates, lol!!
I have started feeding everyday now to make sure my fish stay healthy but foremost to keep my corals fed as well. Once your nitrates drop to 0.0ppm while using the NoPox your corals, at least mine, started to get pale. In other words my corals were being starved!!!
I purchase the Red Sea's Coral Colors additives but have not started to dose yet. Once again need to test to make sure how much to dose. I once read from one reefer, who was a TOTM winner here, who said I will not put anything into my tank that I can not test for. So until I acquire the test kit to test what is in there to begin with I will not dose the product. Fear not I have ordered the Red Sea Colors Pro Test Kit.
I had an opportunity to purchase some corals from a fellow aquarist. For one, I believe that we have so many reef enthuasist out there that have awesome tanks with flipping mouth watering sticks. Two, these corals ultimately need trimming. Then third, here comes the fragging/grow out tanks. These guys need us newbies to acquire/buy these frags to seed our new reefs and make more room in those frag tanks. And finally these corals are now used to growing and thriving in captivity. Don't get me wrong I love those aquacultured and maricultured pieces as well. And lol, fear not LFS's I will continue opening my wallet.
Anyhow here are my latest additions. None are glued anywhere yet as they are aclimating to the new lighting in my tank. I will move them weekly until they reach sweet spot!
I have always wanted a Pink Stylo and finally I got one at WWC!!!
RSCN8900.jpg

This is another piece that a couple of yrs ago was unattainable to me, Strawberry Shortcake, bad pic but you can still see the colors.
RSCN8897.jpg

Acropora plana
RSCN8905.jpg

Acropora Valida
RSCN8934.jpg

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 39 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 68 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back