The Top 5 Fish that should not be considered for beginners

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 in my 110. They haven't been an issue at all, except the female biting me when I am in the tank. Yet my marine betta chases the purple tang...

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My top five no no's would be;
1. Dragonets, regardless of species for obvious reasons.
2. Anthias, regardless of species. Beginners do not understand the feeding requirements and water conditions to keep these in top form.
3. Those tangs that are considered expert level, ie. Achilles, Cheveron, Clown, Sohol and the remainder of Surgeonfish genus also to include the Moorish Idol. Leaving bristletooth tangs and others available.
4. Butteryfish in general, these fish require proper acclimation and tank mates. Many are obligatory coral feeders, the common beginner has no clue.
5. Angelfish, for the most part. Here again too many of these are difficult to acclimate, tank mates stress them leading to disease and death, many are considered expert level.

Not to add a sixth; but the fish that should not be harvested in the first place. Those that grow to sizes that are not feasible to keep in a normal home aquarium. Batfish, lookdowns, grouper, most eels, mono's, jack's, puffers, sharks and rays. I find many of these species quite endearing and would love to have them in my home, but realize that I cannot provide the space required for them.

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with 4 out of the 5,LOL

Don't feel bad, I had two out of the five.
Two of my first fish were a Niger trigger and a Regal tang. Both very tiny and were getting picked on in the store that my girlfriend was working in. I bought both of them and an occellaris clown from there. Few weeks later bought a juvenile Blue anglefish. All of these fish were about 1.25 - 1.5" at that time in my 58g Oceanic. That was in 1996, things have came a long way as have my perspective.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 107 81.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back