The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

mikellini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: can the following wrasses be mixed?

C. Solorensis
H. Chrysus
M. Ornatus

The solorensis and ornatus are in the tank now, seem to get along OK with the occasional peck by the fairy wrasse. Can I add the chrysus?

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: can the following wrasses be mixed?

C. Solorensis
H. Chrysus
M. Ornatus

The solorensis and ornatus are in the tank now, seem to get along OK with the occasional peck by the fairy wrasse. Can I add the chrysus?

Just use an acclimation box and it should work out.

mikellini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
****** acclimation box. The one piece of equipment I'm determined to avoid purchasing. If I drill a bunch of holes in one of those acrylic LPS bag holders, will that work? Haha

ZoanthidAddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can buy a critter carrier / cricket holder and drill holes in that make sure to smooth them out and just use a mag float to hold it on the glass

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you introduce two dogs by putting them in a dark room?

The point is for the fish to be able to look at each other without them being able to go at each other.

Fair point, I've just heard that lights out can reduce aggression

Most likely because all of the fish are hiding. The goal is not to have hiding fish, it's to have fish that get along. ;)

While the analogy of dogs is effective it is not entirely applicable to wrasses. A social acclimation box is the best way to acclimate a new wrasse to establishes ones, if that is not an option, however, then the lights out approach is effective. The primary reason is that the newly introduced fish is sending off visual and hormonal cues that it does not belong, and instead of letting it calm down the established fish key in on those cues and try to chase and dominatethe newcomer. If the lights are off then the established fish will not venture from the safety of their hideaways inthe dark to pick up on the cues of the new fish. The next day when the lights have come on the new fish has had a chance to calm down and rather than giving cues that it doesnt belong is just another fish in the community.

Where a social acclimation box is superior to the lights off method is that closely related fish are able to size each other up without chasing and damage, and if the aggression continues at too high of a level one fish can be much more easily removed.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Earls are so young and beautiful, mine looks like an old man.

We got them as an initial phase male and juvi/female pair. The male was small and the female was so tiny that we had to keep them in QT for a few months before moving them to the big tank. Even then, she was so small that she actually slipped between the tines on the covered overflow box and ended up taking a wild ride down to the 2nd sump (150g stock vat) in the garage. What a fright that was for me, LOL! :faint: I thought she was a goner before we found the little stinker leisurely swimming around the stock vat the next day. :tongue:

-Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to take your camera away from you Terry
LOL Wendy!

Great pics Terry all my favourite wrasses. Is that a pin tail in pic below the female Johnson ?
Thank You so much!

It certainly is; juvi.

That pic drives me more crazy

The C. cf lanceolatus and C. johnsoni were brought into the "wrasse pack" within a couple of weeks of each other as juvi females. They are the two smallest wrasses in the tank and tend to hang out together with the cf lanceolatus being the more dominant (as the larger) of the two.

Last edited:

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got them as an initial phase male and juvi/female pair. The male was small and the female was so tiny that we had to keep them in QT for a few months before moving them to the big tank. Even then, she was so small that she actually slipped between the tines on the covered overflow box and ended up taking a wild ride down to the 2nd sump (150g stock vat) in the garage. What a fright that was for me, LOL! :faint: I thought she was a goner before we found the little stinker leisurely swimming around the stock vat the next day. :tongue:

-Terry

I would've had a heart attack!

Djbrandriff150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got these two in the isolation box so the others get good with them, No fighting yet...
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1423632937.700336.jpg

8 line flasher and a
Golden rhomboidalis

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got these two in the isolation box so the others get good with them, No fighting yet...

8 line flasher and a
Golden rhomboidalis

Congrats on the new additions and good to see the acclimation box. :bigsmile:

Ben jammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my new addition - a smalltail pencil wrasse (P. cerasinus) that arrived today from Diver's Den. Green fish are few and far between, which makes the colors on this species that much more beautiful.

He's going into my 260 FOWLR once he shows me he is eating well. Got him in an acclimation box for now, more to ensure he can start feeding in peace (and i can get him out if he doesnt) than to settle any aggression issues. I am not expecting any aggression from my other wrasses - an Aussie tusk, juvi dragon, red velvet fairy, bluesided fairy, juvi red coris, and melanarus. So far some of my angels and butterflies have taken an interest but most other fish are ignoring him. But the pencil is active in box, which I take ad a good sign.

uploadfromtaptalk1423775125850.jpg

Ocram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orangeback Fairy Wrasse

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1423959994.123652.jpg
    ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1423959994.123652.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 332

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back