TheWB’s IM Lagoon 50

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic does scratch easily. I’m not sure yet what I will be using although I’ve heard good things about the basic Magic Erasers. I know @tharbin mentioned a couple of things in his thread the other day that I will also look into. I had an acrylic tank once before that was pretty badly scratched by my young children who were fascinated with the magnetic cleaner and got sand stuck between the cleaner and the acrylic. Luckily for as bad as those scratches were they were very difficult to see from normal viewing distance. While it will bother me if the tank gets scratched I know from that previous experience that it won’t be the end of the world. Stuff happens but I’m going to try and avoid it if I can. No small children in the house anymore so that will help.
While acrylic scratches more easily than glass it is really not much worse than low-iron glass. The 'green' glass tanks like TopFin/Marineland/Perfecto are tough and do not scratch easily. It only took a couple of seconds with an unnoticed grain of sand to permanently scratch my Waterbox Peninsula 15. That sand would have also scratched my acrylic tanks but not necessarily permanently. Acrylic scratches can be buff out if not too deep. Actually they can be buffed out even if it is deep and you are determined enough.

Any pad listed as acrylic safe can be used for cleaning. I personally use an Algae Free Piranha Float Plus (I believe you would need the Tiger Sark Float Plus due to the thickness of your panels) with the acrylic pad and plastic blade for everyday cleaning. I actually don't use the plastic scrapper portion of the magnetic cleaner often as I find using the Continuum to be quicker in the long run for the tough stuff but since it is on the scrapper it gets some of it anyway. For tougher stuff you can use a credit card or any plastic blade. I use the blue-plastic bladed Continuum scrappers.

Magic Erasers do work as well along with the various derivatives (melamine foam) available in the hobby. Be careful with all of these to use longer slower strokes than you may be used to. It is possible to put micro-scratches in the acrylic or even low-iron glass with the sponge or pad if you try to use it like a Brillo pad.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back