Things You Wish You Never Put In You Tank!

sdietz2469

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
redbugs- very obvious, but treated months ago and now i have none
wild colonies of sps- some make it some not, but it is a bummer to see a beautiful colony melt away
yellow proto palys-major pest and actually can sting other corals, and they are impossible to kill, tried everything from kalk to boiling water.....no good
GSP-as said before very hated!!!!!!!
woods polyps- spread fas and shoot off seeds and end up everywhere...
anything my girlfriend says she wants- half the time she just thinks its cute, but then it becomes a nusance, and she forbids me to get rid of it!!!!!
sponges- i wish i would have been a little more careful about adding anything with sponges on it as now i have black sponges that if i touch light me up and my hands will burn for hours and swell up too, tried to get rid of it and it just keeps coming back
aptasia and mini green bubble tips- nussances, and i wish i would have started with dry rock for that reason, and the are like a plague, and i cant seem to get rid of them totally.....

im sure there is alot more but this is all i can hink of....
shane

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say I really wished I hadn't put it in, but an engineer goby. I really like the little fishy, but it does occasionally try to bury some of my corals. I just have to keep an extra eye out to make sure everything is accounted for.

LorenK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, that fire coral that came with the contents of a tank I bought. dang that thing hurts.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, that fire coral that came with the contents of a tank I bought. dang that thing hurts.

I'm the luckiest person around it seems. I can molest my fire coral all I want and I get only the slightest tingling sensation that goes away after 5 minutes. Millepora sp. is supposed to have the biggest kick of them all too. Lace corals are much nicer to handle.

1201812339831300424262.jpeg

Isn't it a cute little guy? ;)

dfurbee

Nancy Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red shrooms. They are spreading like crazy, and all over the tank. Also my serpent stars, they knock things over at night.

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm.....i wish i could play but i really have nothing in my tank i really hate
i really tried to make this tank perfect in the livestock area
well there is one thing i wish i didnt get but its not in my tank yet
red/orange carpet nem, but thats only because its just the sweetest nem ive ever had and one that ive been looking for ages for and now that i have all these corals that i like i cant bear to put em in the tank just yet because nems in general are inevitable in moving and with moving is DEATH of corals...

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The original piece of live rock I put in my tank when I started it that had a few pieces of Caulerpa growing on it...already redid all my rockwork once with dry rock but it came back unseen on the frags after months of being dormant and too small to see.

Pom Pom Hyrdroids...came in on a frag way back when and spread like the caulerpa. Luckily they are easier to keep at bay

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The original piece of live rock I put in my tank when I started it that had a few pieces of Caulerpa growing on it...already redid all my rockwork once with dry rock but it came back unseen on the frags after months of being dormant and too small to see.

Pom Pom Hyrdroids...came in on a frag way back when and spread like the caulerpa. Luckily they are easier to keep at bay

Caulerpa is the worst......That would be the only thing for me....

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when my tank was a fish only i had a lionfish..very pretty but it stuck me bad and i had to go the hospital he got me with 5 or 6 fins i was told it is like a bee sting..its not even close!!!!

Questin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the Anemonia majano too, I was thinking it would be soooooo cool to have a bunch of them on a rock. They had their own ideas, and went all over the place.

Sperpent Stars (Brittle Stars) looked great at first, but they stay hidden, and next thing you know they are HUGE! From tip to tip mine got 15 inches long and sunddenly fish started to come up missing.

Encrusting Hydnophora I had was the size of my thumb when it started (2 frags of this stuff) Next thing I know (ok, a few years later) I had one frag that attached to the back of the tank and grew to the size of a football, no joke. It took over the entire middle of the tank! The other frag was getting that big but I traded it in for a clam. When I took down the tank to move things to another tank, this coral just stayed on the glass holding on. I took all the water out, and still it just hung there all by itself! I broke it off the glass and gave it to a LFS but it left a 14inch around frag on the glass that took forever to get off, it was like superglue.

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water. It was the start of everything.

If I had never put water in that thing I wouldn't have to worry about, cynao, hair algae, aptasia, dosing, feeding, water changes, water tests, Xenia overgrowth, and the many other hassles. I might even have some money in the bank.

But it would be pretty dull looking tank:hammer:

Jack

sdietz2469

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Water. It was the start of everything.

If I had never put water in that thing I wouldn't have to worry about, cynao, hair algae, aptasia, dosing, feeding, water changes, water tests, Xenia overgrowth, and the many other hassles. I might even have some money in the bank.

But it would be pretty dull looking tank:hammer:

Jack

actually it was the salt that did that...LOL.... freshwater doesnt have all these problems, but they dont live as long either.....

remembered one more thing...

a 2 ft fimbriated eel... within 3 years in my 120 gallon tank he ate well over 10k in fish(3 full grown lion fish, 4 different LARGE eels, 5 tuskfish, several large anges, several triggers, a baby leopard shark, and i could go on and on and on) he is a beast..... he is now 4.5' long and about the size of a baseball, and he scaes me all the time cuz he is big enough to lift and shift the two 70lb pieces of live rock that are in his tank.... i will be sitting there and i here the rocks move an am afraid he is going to break the tank..... but he lives alone and i am done trying anymore, so i gave him to my buddy....
shane

reefcleaners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Way back in the thread somebody mentioned long spines...wow they get huge! I see them diving about the size of volleyballs all the time. Crazy they sell them in the hobby, same with the variegated (pincushion) urchins, get way too big. I wish I didn't put in a variegated urchin in a tank of mine. It was cool yes, but it went around picking up all the macro, (I have planted tanks), and sticking it to himself for camouflage :)

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus snails. I really don't like them. They never seem to eat much. Turbo snails seem to eat twice as much for their size and do an overall better job for me.

TahoeMtn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know for sure what it was I put in, but I know where it came from. It came from the LFS from hell. Now that they are no longer here and we don't have anybody to yell at. Most of the stuff they sold had little red Flat Worms on them. Do you know what happens when you get a 200 gal tank with a major infestation of FW's AND then try as I might to suck them all out before adding Flat Worm Exit The little jerks (can I say that) were hiding and when they puked in my tank on their last drink of water they killed all of my fish and 3/4's of my corals. As one great man said "To the moon...To the moon Alice"

Last edited:

fly guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green Star Polyps! 'Cause !

I kinda like them.......

GSPTank.jpg

but seriously......I would also say GSP and that sweet coral pack ai picked up when I first got into sps.........the guy gave it to me for a steal....it had these little tufts of feathery algae I soon found out was called bryposis.......... Satanic Hair algae it was......Im not a violent guy.......but looking back now knowing the guy intentionally pawned these corals off on me becasue every one had bryopsis on the rocks....without warning me........id prolly give him a bloody nose

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReeferRob

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a new one to add. Ive kept them before with no issues other than a short life span. My newest one is eating all the mouths off of my Florida Ricordeas. It doesn't seem to be effecting the rics, but it isn't pretty.
Its a Glass Anemone Shrimp, pretty but uncetain of its intentions. I know it eats muckus to survive and what not, but why specifically the mouths. Thank goodness there doesn't seem to be any side effects yet!!

reefermadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant beleive I have not seen the Damsel...."They are a cheap fish that will help cycle your tank."- Every LFS owner.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 37 19.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 141 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back