This lil shrimp!!!! I need advice quick please!!!

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this peppermint shrimp from my local fish store. I was told that he will keep the test and then to me under control and he is reef safe. This evening I was eyeballing my tank and I see him picking at one of my corals. For the past four days or so some of mine my corals look like they were bleaching and I was wondering why, lighting hasn't changed and I've been moving around I've been moving them around like crazy thinking it was lighting placement or water flow. Look at this video and please advise.
Sorry I cannot load the video up. My phone only let me do pedal options unfortunately
Had a Hammer coral that did not made it, saw Pepp shrimp picking on it. I am sure I got a Peppermint not a Camel and I used to feed the Pepp shrimp.

Big Wave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had real peppermint shrimp strip the flesh off of pocillopora. You can identify them by the points on their heads. I know a fellow reefer who believes they are just after bacterial growths and the coral just happens to be in the way.

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint are opportuinstic feeders. That means if they see a yummy LPS coral they will most likely eat it unless you are over feeding them. In most cases you need to let peppermint shrimp starve before they start to eat aiptasia. Unfortunately once they are at that point LPS that are not 100% well are at extreme risk...

if you have a FOWLR system and corals you dont care too much about get a peppermintshrimp. If you care about your corals look into something like bhergia.

Izzy's_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one pick at one of my hammer corals once. He just started cutting away almost all the polyps on the hammer coral. Luckily I caught him in the act and sent him to the fuge. Hammer survived :)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 119 76.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back