***This really is DYNAMITE in a small package: AI PRIME!!***

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love these lights how many would you guys/gals recommend for a 75g?
It depends on how the tank is length and width. I know the LFS that I go to has 2 of the next size up for a 30 gallon.so you probably need at least 3 set at Max height for max coverage.

MasterBlaster66T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on how the tank is length and width. I know the LFS that I go to has 2 of the next size up for a 30 gallon.so you probably need at least 3 set at Max height for max coverage.

Curious, by the next size up do you mean hydra hd 26?

I am really kinda bummed after reading this thread because it is making me realize I may not be able to use a Prime in my setup. After reading the stats on them, it appears as though they may not be powerful enough to grow acros? Are the Primes primarily designed for softie and LPS tanks? It seems as though they would not even work in a 12" deep frag tank setup for acros and other high par requirement corals? What's up with that? Is that right? It just sounds off to me. Why would AI make a light like this?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One downside is the tank mounts are ridiculously expensive for what they are IMO.

Curtismaximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Prime has a max par area of 18"x18". The min par area goes all the way out to 30"x30".

From AI : "With a spread of 30" x 30", the AI Prime® has a peak PAR of 260µMol at a depth of 12 inches, more than enough for your hungriest of livestock. Drawing a maximum of 50 watts from the wall, it follows in the family’s efficient footsteps."

I also think the max par area is a little underestimated. I have seen this light grow sps around the edges of a 30 gallon shallow tank.

Jwalker814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it is worth, my LFS (Ken's tropical fish - Baptist, LA) is running 6 of these bad boys on his 320g (I believe) system.
Tank is 72(l)x24(h) not sure on depth - believe it is 36.

cryotek74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 4 running on my 125. Setup and linking all them together is easy. can control from either phone or computer. super easy to adjust. We can trade and save our programs as well. I do think the mounts are a little high but they are adjustable and you can angle the light if needed. No heat from them, no noise, and not in the way of anything.

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a awesome light! I love mine. It will do virtually anything a full fledged flagship led light will do. The power and color are amazing!!! This little light is blindingly bright. Get two and you could keep anything you want as far as SPS go. Mine supplements a reefbreeders photon32 and boy this little guy can hang right in there. Quality LED diodes sure do MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!
Worth every penny. No reeflink of other products necessary. You cna run it all through your phone or pc.

Twisted_Blenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 4 running on my 125. Setup and linking all them together is easy. can control from either phone or computer. super easy to adjust. We can trade and save our programs as well. I do think the mounts are a little high but they are adjustable and you can angle the light if needed. No heat from them, no noise, and not in the way of anything.

how deep is your 125? thats the only thing that worries me is depth becuase they say max par is 12" are you able to keep SPS?

cryotek74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is 24" deep. Primes are 8" above the water. In the pic I only have 3(waiting on mount for 4th so they all match). I dont know about growing corals yet as I just started. I have a Neon green Japanese toadstool, green hammerhead, and GSP. They all seem to like the lights.

20160428_192621.jpg

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run these and swear by them ....my corals do also , 12,000k 8hr 20,000k 4 hr 1 hr ramp up to 100% @ 12" over a 24x24x12 and the look is insanely clean

Jwalker814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to know if anyone has taken readings at 24" depth at the various power levels.

My LFS that runs 6 claims "never run LEDs at 100% and I believe he ru bb s hid at roughly 40% (If I remember correctly)

Jwalker814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why never run LEDs at 100%??? just curious
Now idea. That's just what he said. I'm assuming because everyone says LEDs burn corals. But fails to realize u can acclimate the corals to the LEDs.

I actually have a fluval fixture on my nano that is on/off only no dimming. And it sits about 2" above the water so his philosophy is wack.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I know is that certain parts of the light spectrum increase potential for algae growth. With this system you have control of the spectrum. I want to say mine runs at 40% power with the adjustments that I have made.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are so many variables that go into what you should run your lights at and where they should be hung bottom line for these lights is around 260par at 12 inches depth sofor me knowing my variables AI Prime worked out absolutely perfect to run 100% there is also and acclimation mode built into the interface in my opinion I think most people kill their Coral or have no clue what they're doing with lighting and often Overkill the situation based upon what's popular or what they're trying to sell currently a real tech nerd will realize that this light is simply1 Puck of a hydra 26 or 52 but with higher Binned better color ledsand you can get a better spread with multiples then A2 or 4 puck unit this is the evolution of that company and their newest Light

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a couple of things that I have looked at with these lights. You can adjust UV, Red,Green,Violet,Blue,Deep blue, and white light. I'm not a scientist but I am not sure that corals are naturally receiving 100% of UV, White light, Red, Green. If it is our intent to mimic a somewhat natural habitat, wouldn't this aspect be the most important next to water quality? With that said, I am sure that you can acclimate almost any lower light coral to live or do well under more intense light than what they are recommended to have. I don't think it works the other way though.The second factor for these lights are the braces that you attach them to are adjustable. You can set the height. Just remember that when you set the height lower, you are in effect narrowing the coverage. This may help you get light to a lower level in your tank but there will be "blind spots" with a lot less light. I keep mine at max height and my tank is 12" deep. From the light to the bottom of my tank is 24".

tcunha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have one on my 40g cube and love it!! App is great and my schedule hasn't had any hiccups.

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep its a awesome light and it competes and knocks out anything from China in my opinion. I am awaiting a second one for my tank for the left rear corner.!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back