This week in the history of chemistry #1

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, there's so much exciting history of chemistry that we don't have room for it all, so I'll just pick a few highlights... :)

Oct 2 William Ramsay was born in 1852: co-discovered neon, argon, krypton, and xenon; isolated helium
Oct 3 John Gorrie was born in 1803. He was awarded the first refrigerator patent (US #8080).
Oct 4 James Lind was born in 1716, He found the cause and cure of scurvy to be dietary
Oct 5 Chemical Society of Union College, precursor of the American Chemical Society was founded in 1861
Oct 6 Humphry Davy, working at the Royal Institution, was the first to isolate potassium in 1807
Oct 7 Niels Bohr was born in 1885. He developed the quantized planetary model of the atom and explained the hydrogen atom spectrum
Oct 8 Henry-Louis Le Chatelier was born in 1850. He explained the effects of pressure and temperature on chemical equilibrium (Le Chatelier's principle)
Oct 9 Hermann Emil Fischer was born in 1852. He was first to synthesize sugars and studied their stereochemistry (Fischer projections), and synthesized uric acid, caffeine, and other organic compounds; Won the Nobel Prize in 1902

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along with these threads. I've always loved "this week in history" type articles :)

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to say I'm happily surprised. After I posted it, it seemed rather esoteric and perhaps only of interest to chemists, but maybe both of you are. :)

I'll probably start a new thread each week so it doesn't get too hard to find the current week's post. :)

I could sticky it for a week if that would make it easier to find.

Last edited:

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to say I'm happily surprised. After I posted it, it seemed rather esoteric and perhaps only of interest to chemists, but maybe both of you are. :)

I'll probably start a new thread each week so it doesn't get too hard to find the current week's post. :)

I could sticky it for a week if that would make it easier to find.

A chemist? Nope, I work in a cheese factory :p
I'm just intrigued by the ideas of people far smarter than I am. Even if it does take a lot of research to figure most of it out haha. Knowledge is a great thing :)

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A chemist? Nope, I work in a cheese factory :p
I'm just intrigued by the ideas of people far smarter than I am. Even if it does take a lot of research to figure most of it out haha. Knowledge is a great thing :)
I agree completely(except for the bit about the cheese factory).My son and the series Connections got me interested in history.

moulton712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, thank you for all your posts. More people view your posts everyday, even though we don't comment. Most if not all your post and replies are A+.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back