Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Week in the History of Chemistry

August 25
Hans Adolf Krebs was born in 1900. He developed an understanding of the urea cycle, the citric acid cycle (Krebs cycle), and the glyoxylate cycle in biochemistry. Won the Nobel prize (Medicine), 1953.

August 26
Antoine-Laurent Lavoisier was born in 1743. He recognized the significance of oxygen and the oxygen theory of combustion; developed practical use of the conservation of mass principle. He was a victim of the French Revolution.

August 27
Carl Bosch was born in 1874. He developed a commercial method (Haber-Bosch process) of producing ammonia. He won the Nobel Prize in 1931.

Martin David Kamen was born in 1913. He developed radioactive tracer techniques in biochemistry and discovered carbon-14.

The first commercially productive oil well was drilled in the US, in 1859, in Titusville, PA.

August 29
Meitnerium (Mt, Element 109, named after Lise Meitner), was first observed at GSI Laboratory, Darmstadt, Germany, in 1982.

August 30
Ernest Rutherford was born in 1871. He distinguished between α and β radiation and later characterized the α particle, radioactive half life, transformation theory of radioactivity, nuclear model of the atom, and artificial nuclear transmutation. He won the Nobel Prize in 1908 (in chemistry)

Theodor Svedberg was born in 1884. He developed the ultracentrifuge for molecular weights and sizes of proteins. He won the Nobel Prize in 1926

Jacobus Henricus van't Hoff was born in 1852. He developed tetrahedral carbon, chemical kinetics, thermodynamics (van't Hoff equation), dilute solutions, osmotic pressure. He won the first Nobel Prize in 1901.

August 31
Guillaume Amontons was born in 1663. He was an instrument maker, particularly thermometers, barometers, and hygrometers.

September 2
Friedrich Wilhelm Ostwald was born in 1853. He was a physical chemist and studied mass action, solutions, conductivity (Ostwald's dilution law), catalysis (particularly catalytic oxidation of ammonia). He won the Nobel Prize in 1909.

Frédéric Swarts was born in1866. He developed organic fluorides and the Swarts reaction. He was the first to prepare chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs): the first one he made was CFCl3, but he was also first to make CF2Cl2, the first CFC to become commercially important.

September 4
Stacy Carkhuff of Firestone applied for patent (US 1,093,310) on the non-skid auto tire in 1908.

September 5
Eugen Goldstein was born in 1850. He studied electrical discharges in gases, including cathode rays (a term he coined for what was later found to be electrons).

Jacobus van't Hoff proposed tetrahedral carbon in 1874. It was not universally embraced.

thehammer1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cathode ray electron tube wasn't very interesting when I was reading a book on scientists of the periodic table of elements however it also brought about the dumbing down of our children with TVs

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%

Back