This WORKS for Green Hair Algae !! Fluconazole by Reef HD - Called REEF FLUX

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried fluconozole at 1x, 2x, and then 4x the recommended dosage. I tried 4x based on others using this much with no ill effects. Finally got rid of my GHA. I have 2 stressed monti frags but everything else is fine including my chaeto. My nutrients nearly bottomed out, which I learned is common, but I was expecting the opposite. I pulled most of my chaeto to counter.

Glad I didn’t try vibrant after reading this

Thjhiggins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not very sure if I'm posting correctly but after of year of fighting green hair algae I have finally found the one product that truly works. This is in no way a promotion of a certain brand or vendor just telling you what worked for me and worked within three weeks. I tried the water changes, manual removal which is always necessary, I tried peroxide both as dosing and using 20% post directly while in the water and after removal of the rock that it was growing on but nothing worked. I even created a refugium using cheatomorpha, I'm a pharmacist and was told by a tank professional that fluconazole may work and I was able to find a product called reef flux which is fluconazole and by following the directions by reef flux I went from a continuing hair algae problem with no end to the issue. The outcome was this I used the reflux within three weeks there is not a sign of green hair algae! I have Xenia and also mushroom corals which were not affected at all by the fluconazole. It's a 120 gallon fish and soft coral tank. I'm not sure if other corals might be sensitive to this or not but mine had no ill effects. I will say the cheato in the refugium was killed off also along with the hair algae. I cannot stress enough if you have a green hair algae issue this is the product to use (fluconazole). Believe it or I manually removed as much hair algae as I could without actually removing the rocks from the tank then treated with the fluconazole product and within three weeks the tank is completely clear of all hair algae. The filters will become clogged with the remnants of the hair algae as it filters out and this is mentioned on the packaging as the stuff works that well so you will need to maintain your particulate filters during this process. I can't believe this isn't the go to on every Google search to kill off green hair algae it took me a year to discover this product. I hope this helps someone else.
will it harm corals like mushrooms, leathers, zoas etc?

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE! Yes. This kills SPS, and quickly. I dosed 29 capsules in my 250 DT and sump on Friday and as of today it has killed 75% of my coral. The rest are losing color fast.

The GHA sure looks OK though.
Absolutely does not kill sps, something else must have been going on. I have used it in a tank full of prime Acropora and other sps and they were not affected at all as far as I could see. I never saw a drop in alk consumption. It took about 2 weeks for the GHA to be completely wiped out. It went grey then disappeared.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will it harm corals like mushrooms, leathers, zoas etc?
Thanks for that I hate cheato I tried a hang of the back grower. It worked great but I did not know that the filth it removed is hugely toxic. I did not pay attention, and suddenly was losing all my easy to grow, all grown in my tank by the way mushrooms. I almost lost the whole tank. I have a habit of thinking backwards when something goes wrong. Sure enough because I did not clean out this refugium? the crap was cycling back into my tank. I took it off immediately and everything came back

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely does not kill sps, something else must have been going on. I have used it in a tank full of prime Acropora and other sps and they were not affected at all as far as I could see. I never saw a drop in alk consumption. It took about 2 weeks for the GHA to be completely wiped out. It went grey then disappeared.
I will say this here as well. Does not apply completely with hair algae but Algae loves high flow, and light. I cleaned my tank a short while ago. I turn off the power to do so. When I power up the power heads sometimes wont start. I have to take them out, and tap them to get them to do so. Well I did not pay attention to what I aimed one at when I put it back in. It was directed right at a rock. In a few days it was covered in algae. I redirected it and two days later the rock is covered in bristle worms and starfish. The rock is almost clean again. So another thought is if you have a diamond goby and its running out of algae in the sand you now know an easy way to feed it.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hit my 90 gallon that has been infested with bubble algae. A full 350 gallon dose(7000 mg) . Between manual plucking the worst of it and the Flux Rx 90% is gone at the moment. No coral deaths and I have every sort in there. If anything my torches and Acros looked better. Now maybe my Foxface, Bristletooth tang and blenny can keep it in check.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back