thoughts on a used tank???

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do it again.
My 55 gallon, that I've only had about 2 years, is starting to split at the center brace.
I have to replace the tank or get a new top rim, drain it and remove everything, pull the old rim and put the new one on.

Besides you don't know what the tank was used for.
It could have been freshwater and they dosed copper in that tank.

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey neighbor!
I can totally understand the money saving bit, and as stated by many, buying from a stranger you never know. I think it would be different if the tank is still up and running, but a dry tank I would be wary. Also as stated by a few, there are quite a bit of companies out there that do custom tanks. In this sense, you get exactly what you want (DD, long and shallow, overflows and returns ect...) though the cost may be a bit more up front, you don't have that feeling of settling and can make something that totally fits your home.
Also there are many manufacturers that make great tanks and with the holiday season coming up there should be tons of sales in the future weeks. That's also a way to make up some savings as far as purchasing your other needed equipment.

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey neighbor!
I can totally understand the money saving bit, and as stated by many, buying from a stranger you never know. I think it would be different if the tank is still up and running, but a dry tank I would be wary. Also as stated by a few, there are quite a bit of companies out there that do custom tanks. In this sense, you get exactly what you want (DD, long and shallow, overflows and returns ect...) though the cost may be a bit more up front, you don't have that feeling of settling and can make something that totally fits your home.
Also there are many manufacturers that make great tanks and with the holiday season coming up there should be tons of sales in the future weeks. That's also a way to make up some savings as far as purchasing your other needed equipment.

Just my 2 cents; I think if you are looking at that large of a tank, be patient and get what you really want and don't settle. You want the tank to last you a long time..

DrBoxedWine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 cents; I think if you are looking at that large of a tank, be patient and get what you really want and don't settle. You want the tank to last you a long time..
Yeah a 265 is a "forever" sort of tank (for most people, at least). My guess is you won't be upgrading again and will have it for a long time. Get the exact overflows you want and everything.

Funny story about my tank breaking... My roommates, wife and I were all cleaning the garage one day, and we were going to go to a street fair a little later that afternoon. We had just "indulged" (something that's legal in Colorado, haha) and my roommates know how to "indulge" so I "indulged" more than I normally might. No more than 10 minutes later I hear my wife (girlfriend at the time) yelling "The tank is leaking!!!" and I walk in to see her holding a cup underneath dripping water. Needless to say, that is not what I wanted to hear in that state of mind, lol.

Luckily, I'm the paranoid type and had already researched extensively what to do in such a situation and had a plan all worked out in my head. I don't think we lost more than 8 oz of water to the floor. I should have gone straight out and bought a lottery ticket lol.

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mount Dora here, too. Looking to get back into the hobby after a 7 month break. Also looking at used tanks. I look closely at the seams to make sure they aren't nicked up too much. I also try to find a "newer used tank," not one that's more than a few years old.
Am I reading this right? The bug is getting to you??

Hey neighbor. Lol

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to include that after my experiences I will only ever buy a used tank that I can see already up and running.

RalphsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 or 180 is always nice. Especially a reef tank. I had a 200G custom tank before the break. I will ease back in with something smaller. LOL.

Hey RalphsReef!! Awesome that you're in Mt Dora too! We are looking to add another tank... We are looking for 150 or 180 gallon

SteveO83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying to plan a tank to get back into the hobby as well. Have been looking at all options on tanks. Both new and used

OP
OP
geckoejon

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drboxedwine, good points and funny story.

einna, yah,also a good point.

i'm probably going to pass on the 265g just because it's been sitting. 2 of my tanks that are up and running now are used. they are a lot smaller and they were running when i got them though. it just seems a lot riskier with 200g then with a 34 or 75g tank....

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 51 42.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 56 47.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back