Tigahboy's Macroalgae Tank(s)

Drewerd7

Dank Tank Club
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as an update, I dosed 5 mg/L of Fluconazole for the bryopsis outbreak in my IM 30L last Friday (7 days ago). Bryopsis is gone now. :)

And while I noticed very little die off (Caulerpa racemosa seemed like the only macro affected) up until now, today I finally started seeing more die off from other macros (Caulerpa mexicana, brachypus, botryclodia, and mermaid's fan). I think if I just let it continue without any intervention I could see a lot more loss. So I'm going to do a big water change now and hope to minimize further detriment to this tank. But I'm glad I did it and got rid of the byropsis, and while the few species I mentioned were affected, there's still enough to grow back pretty quickly, and all of the other macros were unaffected.
Wowzers. I can only imagine the stress and uncertainty to make that decision. Props for pulling the trigger!
Brave move to add the fluconazole, but I guess it's like playing poker..
When you have a giant pile of chips (thick, healthy, luscious macros) you can risk a few to beat out the competition.

Stoked to hear bryopsis is wiped out! Didn't sound like ANYONE had a solution besides the fluco. So, you're helping to advance the knowledge base. Thanks for sharing your experience..
A couple more water changes and you'll never knew it hit those macros!

Hey Tigah, just wondering if you've spent any time on that new 'scape for your deeper water tank.. forgot what tank it is you have coming, but I believe you said you were doing dry rock to start. Cheers

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wowzers. I can only imagine the stress and uncertainty to make that decision. Props for pulling the trigger!
Brave move to add the fluconazole, but I guess it's like playing poker..
When you have a giant pile of chips (thick, healthy, luscious macros) you can risk a few to beat out the competition.

Stoked to hear bryopsis is wiped out! Didn't sound like ANYONE had a solution besides the fluco. So, you're helping to advance the knowledge base. Thanks for sharing your experience..
A couple more water changes and you'll never knew it hit those macros!

Hey Tigah, just wondering if you've spent any time on that new 'scape for your deeper water tank.. forgot what tank it is you have coming, but I believe you said you were doing dry rock to start. Cheers
I'm really behind on the larger build (UNS 90U), BUT I should have all the plumbing parts that I need later today so I can start making real progress on that tank this week/weekend (assuming Thanksgiving doesn't get in the way too much lol).

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Monday! Hope y'all in the US had a nice Thanksgiving break. I spent a big chunk of it working on my UNS 90U project. Finally got all the plumbing done and did a successful leak test the other day. The stand is a UNS stand that goes with the 90U tank and the sump and overflow are Fiji Cube. Using a ReefBreeders Nautilus 900 DC pump for the return.
DSC08423.jpg

DSC08427.jpg

DSC08433.jpg

DSC08449.jpg

Also working on this tiny 1 gallon OceanBoxDesigns Micro-Tank. The projects never end!
DSC08286.jpg

Drewerd7

Dank Tank Club
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Monday! Hope y'all in the US had a nice Thanksgiving break. I spent a big chunk of it working on my UNS 90U project. Finally got all the plumbing done and did a successful leak test the other day. The stand is a UNS stand that goes with the 90U tank and the sump and overflow are Fiji Cube. Using a ReefBreeders Nautilus 900 DC pump for the return.
DSC08423.jpg

DSC08427.jpg

DSC08433.jpg

DSC08449.jpg

Also working on this tiny 1 gallon OceanBoxDesigns Micro-Tank. The projects never end!
DSC08286.jpg
Tigah,
Congratulations on the successful tank drilling, stand, plumbing, and sump! I spent a couple months building my stand, and finally placing the tank and filling water is such a big hump.
And really, that sump looks so perfect and tight in there!

I'm darn curious if you plan on leaving your tank situated this way.. seems to be turned 90 degrees too far! We've all seen the peninsula tanks, with plumbing or filtration against the wall, but these photos seem to show your plumbing facing OUT into the viewer's first perspective.

The first photo in your post shows the couch and a (closet) door of some sort, and I see that you can get to all sides as the "maintenance man" but just wondering if this is your final tank positioning and home for the long term?

TURN IT 90! lol. -Drew
Ps: shout out from fellow NW reefer.. Central Oregon Coast.. was just up in Everett last month visiting friends. HOLLA!

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tigah,
Congratulations on the successful tank drilling, stand, plumbing, and sump! I spent a couple months building my stand, and finally placing the tank and filling water is such a big hump.
And really, that sump looks so perfect and tight in there!

I'm darn curious if you plan on leaving your tank situated this way.. seems to be turned 90 degrees too far! We've all seen the peninsula tanks, with plumbing or filtration against the wall, but these photos seem to show your plumbing facing OUT into the viewer's first perspective.

The first photo in your post shows the couch and a (closet) door of some sort, and I see that you can get to all sides as the "maintenance man" but just wondering if this is your final tank positioning and home for the long term?

TURN IT 90! lol. -Drew
Ps: shout out from fellow NW reefer.. Central Oregon Coast.. was just up in Everett last month visiting friends. HOLLA!
Thanks! Nice to hear from a fellow PNW reefer. :)

I just have it oriented this way for me to do the leak test and adjust plumbing as needed, but this is definitely not the final resting spot. I will be moving it against the wall after I drain it (which I plan to do later this week).

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FInally found some time to scape the UNS 90U.

I had 80 lbs of Caribsea Moani Dry Rock to work with.
DSC09017-2.jpg

Ended up using about 60 lbs for this hardscape and will probably put some rocks in the sump.
DSC09049-2.jpg

Broke up some into smaller rock rubble pieces to fill in gaps between the larger rocks as well.
DSC09043.jpg

Drewerd7

Dank Tank Club
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FInally found some time to scape the UNS 90U.

I had 80 lbs of Caribsea Moani Dry Rock to work with.
DSC09017-2.jpg

Ended up using about 60 lbs for this hardscape and will probably put some rocks in the sump.
DSC09049-2.jpg

Broke up some into smaller rock rubble pieces to fill in gaps between the larger rocks as well.
DSC09043.jpg
I'm gettin volcanic, beach, and island vibes!
Also, looks very natural.. not forced.

Question for you:
Did your Ninja Star Snails eat Macroalae as voracious as mine does?! Just added one to a KP order, and that lil guy wiped out three small patches of my Blue Hypnea.. so sad.
I also have a Camel Shrimp that has wiped out my fine Codium. He goes to town on it, drags it around, then poops green for a couple days. Lol.
I'm keeping the Shrimp, but that Ninja Star snail needs a new home.. I love hypnea more than the StarSnail.. sorry, buddy.

Dig the Christmas tree lights to left of tank!
Happy Solstice and Merry Christmas

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gettin volcanic, beach, and island vibes!
Also, looks very natural.. not forced.

Question for you:
Did your Ninja Star Snails eat Macroalae as voracious as mine does?! Just added one to a KP order, and that lil guy wiped out three small patches of my Blue Hypnea.. so sad.
I also have a Camel Shrimp that has wiped out my fine Codium. He goes to town on it, drags it around, then poops green for a couple days. Lol.
I'm keeping the Shrimp, but that Ninja Star snail needs a new home.. I love hypnea more than the StarSnail.. sorry, buddy.

Dig the Christmas tree lights to left of tank!
Happy Solstice and Merry Christmas
My ninja star fortunately didn't munch on my macroagae. But I get snails can vary snail-by-snail. Sorry to hear about yours.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you as well!

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! This tank is cycling now.

C3392F8D-723F-4D23-9220-A314C61D2AC4.jpeg

Added a light bar made by ONF and moved over my ReefBreeders Photon 32 from my IM 30L over to this tank. Also using the ReefBreeders Fuge Pico V2 over the sump.

Another shot.
E054787C-2008-4338-874F-3755638C9501.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello! This tank is cycling now.

C3392F8D-723F-4D23-9220-A314C61D2AC4.jpeg

Added a light bar made by ONF and moved over my ReefBreeders Photon 32 from my IM 30L over to this tank. Also using the ReefBreeders Fuge Pico V2 over the sump.

Another shot.
E054787C-2008-4338-874F-3755638C9501.jpeg
Can’t wait to see the progress!!!

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been awhile I know.

The UNS 90 went through the ugly phase and I added a huge CUC order from Seahorse Savvy which cleaned it all up in a few days. Included in that order was a bunch of saltwater-conditioned sailfin mollies as well who did an amazing job of picking off diatoms off the sand and rocks as well. Next up for this tank is macroalgae!
DSC00311.jpg

Said mollies also gave birth to a ton of babies, so I moved as much as I could catch into my other tanks. Here's some macro shots of a few of them.
DSC00248-2.jpg

DSC00247-4.jpg

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also some FTSs of my other macro tanks:

OceanBoxDesigns P-1G (1 gallon)
DSC00280.jpg

PNW Custom Micro Reef (40 ounces if you include the sump) - almost a year old now!
DSC00272.jpg

IM 30L which now has diff lights (Reefbreeders Display Fuge Pico V2) since I moved over the Reefbreeders Photon 32 over my UNS 90U
DSC09611-2.jpg

Current state of my countertop in my fish room (aka macroalgae gallery aka basement)
DSC00328.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also some FTSs of my other macro tanks:

OceanBoxDesigns P-1G (1 gallon)
DSC00280.jpg

PNW Custom Micro Reef (40 ounces if you include the sump) - almost a year old now!
DSC00272.jpg

IM 30L which now has diff lights (Reefbreeders Display Fuge Pico V2) since I moved over the Reefbreeders Photon 32 over my UNS 90U
DSC09611-2.jpg

Current state of my countertop in my fish room (aka macroalgae gallery aka basement)
DSC00328.jpg
Nice looking tanks!!!

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back