Tiny silver(ish) bugs - ID?

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed a few very small bugs on the water weld around the base of a frag - none seemed to be on the frag itself, and a closer look suggests some might be on the rocks around, they just don’t show up as much because of less contrast.

Any idea on what these might be?

IMG_0687.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great video clip! They don't seem to be interested in the coral so I suspect they are not a pest. What they are, a pod or something similar? Bump!

I try to buy the "weld" products that dry black or grey. The white stuff stays soft and tends to crack and crumble and fail, ime.

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to buy the "weld" products that dry black or grey. The white stuff stays soft and tends to crack and crumble and fail, ime.
Ahhh… I’d always assumed they were all comparable. Didn’t realize the white version was the soft one - have definitely had a few fail at connecting frags and been left wondering why it’s so soft.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh… I’d always assumed they were all comparable. Didn’t realize the white version was the soft one - have definitely had a few fail at connecting frags and been left wondering why it’s so soft.
I took some on vacation to use to attach frags to rubble when I first discovered the difference. I was deeply disappointed with the white epoxy clay. Frags has to come home unattached.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd need closer pics to try and give a proper ID, but seems like some sort of "pod," possibly ostracods - most likely harmless.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 168 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back