Toadstool Issue

mdbronco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a mixed reef tank with SPS, LPS, and softies all doing well...except for one toadstool. I've had it for a few months now and it's never really been super happy. Today I noticed a tear in its stalk as shown here in the picture. Any ideas? Remove? Normal?

The only fish I have is a Kole tang and a Diamond goby. 2 crabs, shrimp etc but nothing else I can think of.

Thanks!

IMG_0147 2.jpg

OP
OP
M

mdbronco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for the multi photo post . trying to figure out how to remove!

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a mixed reef tank with SPS, LPS, and softies all doing well...except for one toadstool. I've had it for a few months now and it's never really been super happy. Today I noticed a tear in its stalk as shown here in the picture. Any ideas? Remove? Normal?

The only fish I have is a Kole tang and a Diamond goby. 2 crabs, shrimp etc but nothing else I can think of.

Thanks!

IMG_0147 2.jpg

I would cut the head off to try to save it. Leave the stalk where it is and it may grow a new head.

OP
OP
M

mdbronco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cut the head off to try to save it. Leave the stalk where it is and it may grow a new head.
Thanks for the reply - so are you saying that if I cut the head off, the stalk may grow back and then grown a new head? Or cut the head off and place somewhere and then both the stalk and old head may then be salvageable?

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply - so are you saying that if I cut the head off, the stalk may grow back and then grown a new head? Or cut the head off and place somewhere and then both the stalk and old head may then be salvageable?

Both pieces can grow new parts........ most of the time. :)

OP
OP
M

mdbronco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both pieces can grow new parts........ most of the time. :)
cool thanks! Any idea why this would have occurred in the first place? This thing never has loved me much despite my attempts at placement, flow, lighting etc.....

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool thanks! Any idea why this would have occurred in the first place? This thing never has loved me much despite my attempts at placement, flow, lighting etc.....

They can be so picky sometimes. I have one that will close for weeks and then pop back open. Does it open at all?

OP
OP
M

mdbronco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. What is shown here is about the most it’s ever really done since I brought it home. At the store of course it looked fantastic :)

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 34 14.9%
  • No

Votes: 169 74.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 25 11.0%
Back