OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started to really like chocolate tangs (or mimic lemonpeel tangs) recently. I would probably put them on this list now. I'll bet e would all five different answers if asked a year later lol

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe no one listed the goldrim? I like it better than powder blue by far, after seeing them in person. Admittedly I thought nothing of them seeing photos on line. My LFS has one in there display but NFS. Best looking tang I've ever seen. I had planned to get one but I was too impatient at the wrong part of the season apparently and couldn't find one so I added the powder blue. I'm fairly certain my powder blue would immediately kill a goldrim if I tried so I don't dare now.

A.%20glaucopareius%20WAKLG.JPG

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe no one listed the goldrim? I like it better than powder blue by far, after seeing them in person. Admittedly I thought nothing of them seeing photos on line. My LFS has one in there display but NFS. Best looking tang I've ever seen. I had planned to get one but I was too impatient at the wrong part of the season apparently and couldn't find one so I added the powder blue. I'm fairly certain my powder blue would immediately kill a goldrim if I tried so I don't dare now.

I've listed it. It's other common name is white cheek (Acanthurus Nigricans)

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I love them but because they're a bit harder to keep than powder Browns and powder Browns have more color, I've always opted for them. Also, I always have an Achilles tang in my tang tank so they take care of my handsome blackish tang quota.

A good specimen (like the one above) is a gorgeous, handsome addition for certain!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think DD has those now and then, mustard gutatus tang or something similar they call it.
Yup. They're pretty cool.

I like dussumeri, fowleri, and white lipped tangs (white faced tang) too except they get too big to be practical in this hobby for me unless I have ten foot tanks, which I plan to eventually. I have heard they can grow to 10" in one year from 3"

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the kind of question my 10 year old would ask :) 'Dad, who are your 35 favorite basketball players' ...... oy. Can't possibly come up with a sensible lsit of 35, just as I can't come up with my favorite 10-15 tangs. I can do 5 .... is that OK?

So, Zebra (Mauritius Convict), Desjardini Sailfin, Achilles, Gem and Hippo/Regal/Hepatus. Honorable mention to purple, yellow, chevron, powder blue and clown. OK fine, so that's 10 ......

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the kind of question my 10 year old would ask :) 'Dad, who are your 35 favorite basketball players' ...... oy. Can't possibly come up with a sensible lsit of 35, just as I can't come up with my favorite 10-15 tangs. I can do 5 .... is that OK?

So, Zebra (Mauritius Convict), Desjardini Sailfin, Achilles, Gem and Hippo/Regal/Hepatus. Honorable mention to purple, yellow, chevron, powder blue and clown. OK fine, so that's 10 ......

Lol 10-15 is easy for most that have been in the hobby awhile... I guess I fee like my 12 years is average but I know many have been in it far fewer, and some had to protect their reefs from pods of velociraptors (Paul)

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now if I could have a tank that could house all of these amazing fish!!!
I probably could've gotten to 15 easily, but I tried to contain all of these "Top ... Lists" to just ten.
And in order...

1. Kole Tang (C. strigosus)
2. Lemonpeel Mimic Tang (A. pyroferus)
3. Blonde Naso Tang (A. elegans)
4. Powder Blue Tang (A. leucosternon)
5. Spot Faced Tang (A. maculiceps)
6. Red Sea Sailfin Tang (Z. desjardini)
7. Achilles Tang (A. achilles)
8. Dussumieri Tang (A. dussumieri)
9. Eibli Mimic Tang (A. tristis)
10. Purple Tang (Z. xanthurum)

The Kole Tang will always be my favorite tang!
Every tank I have ever owned has had one. I enjoy their personality and they're great at keeping a clean tank.

I also considered adding rabbitfish to this list, but maybe they'll get included in a "Top 10 Herbivore" list.
The Scribbled Rabbitfish (S. doliatus) is way up on that list!

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread needs to be bumped. I would list mine as:
1. Piebald Yellow Tang (had a change to get one with really nice color patterns on it, but just couldn't pull the trigger on a 2k fish)
2. Koi Tang (but has to have white as one of the colors)
3. School of at least 5 Yellow Tangs (nothing says reef to me or adds dazzling colors like a school of yellow tangs)
4. Juvi Chevron (has to be a juvi; I think they're ugly as an adult)
5. Clown Tang or Sohal Tang (I like the look of the clown tang better, but the sohal tang has better temperament and is over all a better aquarium fish)
6. Powder Blue Tang (super pretty fish, but I've never had one due to their ick tendencies)
7. Desardini Tang (where the gold and yellow really stand out)
8. Tie between Mustard Tang and a Naso Tang with streamers
9. Achilles Tang (I've tried 2 but had no luck, so I'll be admiring these from a distance)
10. Orange Shoulder Tang (this made my list because of one that I had. While not the prettiest tang, he was model citizen that was always cleaning, had a ton of personality, and never cared who else was in the tank)

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Kole, Powders, White cheek, purple, Yellow....... I love the achilles, and think the Blonde Naso's are pretty cool.

The Gem Tangs I have seen, especially the bigger/full-grown ones, are AMAZING..... with that said.... $300-$400 amazing.... not paying more than that for any fish.

EDIT: yeah, Clown Tangs are super cool looking too.

KMNewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemonpeel mimic is my dream tang and one day... I shall have a tank large enough for one.

That's the only tang that's really caught my eye.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Hybrid powder blue tang
2)Achilles
3. Powder brown
4) Chocolate
5)Convict
6)Vampire
7)Purple
8)Tomini
9)Chevron
10) Black

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. Purple Tang - No other fish quite does it with the dark purple complemented by hints of yellow on the pectoral fin and tail. I have a 5" specimen of whom I got as a 2" baby. Can't wait for it to get even bigger!
  2. Vlamingii Tang - Currently have a 6" specimen who I got at half the size only at the beginning of 2019! The blue spots and subtle greens are beginning to come in. Can't wait for him to get 1'+
  3. Koi Scopas Tang - Love these aberrant guys. I managed to attain one for only 250$! Love the blue face and definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity to own!
  4. Sailfin Tangs - Not that stunning as juveniles, but eye-catching as they grow bigger.
  5. Achilles Tang - Never kept one, but definitely alluring.
  6. Powder Blue Tang - Never kept, but definitely considered it!
  7. Blue Tang - Classic "Dory" will always have a place in my heart.
  8. Chevron Tang - Many people don't like the adults, but I think both the juvenile and adult colorations are very cool.
  9. Kole Tang - Not particularly colorful at first glance, but if you look closely, you can see shades of purple, maroon, and yellow.
  10. Naso Tangs - Something about these two species I can't describe. An adult male with streamers is a sight to behold!

Kevin Duprey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the list is confined to those that can be kept reasonably in a 5 ft tank. I do appreciate many of the larger varieties, but since I don't ever see myself getting a larger tank, they're out for me. So, among the "smaller" species that can avoid a visit from the tang police in a 5 ft tank:

1. White Tail Bristle Tooth (Ctenochaetus flavicauda) - My favorite even without the tank size restriction
2. Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum)
3. White Cheek (Acanthurus nigricans)
4. Scopas (Zebrasoma scopas) - Only the unique morphs. I currently have a yellow one, and some of the Koi's are cool, but I can't see spending that.
5. Powder Blue (Acanthurus leucosternon) - Would probably be higher on my list if color was the only factor, but I'm afraid of these ick magnets.
6. Two-spot Bristle Tooth (Ctenochaetus binotatus) - sometimes called a blue-eyed kole tang. Like it better than the Kole due to more contrasting colors

For those of you that have identified contrasting colors as a key, I really can't understand why the White Tail isn't on your list. They're truly splendid in a mixed reef, and awesome tank cleaners!
_DSC9866_1_output.jpg

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back