Torn Blastos Polyp - help/advice

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I was doing some routine tank maintenance and did something dumb without thinking.

I notice a cluster of bubble algae hanging out by my Blastos, what I didn’t realize is that it was apparently attached or my Blastos was holding onto it.

I went over with my tweezers, grabbed the bubble algae cluster and gave it a gentle pull. Felt a tear and sure enough, tore the polyp of my Blastos.

Is this recoverable, or will I only lose this one head? I’ve had this Blastos for over a year and have gone from 1 poly to some unknown number, it’s grown a lot.

Im hoping this isn’t a death sentence… anyone ever run into this situation?

IMG_8519.jpeg

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should not lose the other heads but I would dip it Lugol’s iodine to prevent infection to the damaged tissue and/or having it spread.
Okay, thank you! I’ll pick that up and do a dip. Is lugols specific for rehab? I ask because I have KoralMD.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thank you! I’ll pick that up and do a dip. Is lugols specific for rehab? I ask because I have KoralMD.
Antibacterial, I’m not saying you have an infection but with damaged tissue you have the potential. Good luck and sorry this happened.

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Antibacterial, I’m not saying you have an infection but with damaged tissue you have the potential. Good luck and sorry this happened.
Alright, realized they’re different and ordered frag recover via Amazon, good ol 2 day shipping haha.

Thanks for the advice, didn’t even think to do a dip so glad you said something!! Hopefully it can hold out until the dip arrives.

Thanks again!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back