Trace Element Testing

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn't exactly what I meant. What you wrote is the mythical process of alchemy.

Sorry for OT, but while in academia i was able to act as an "Alchemist" (turning Mercury into Gold), and also as Anti-Alchimist (Turning Gold into Mercury). I fear with that statement i might risk loosing Randys trust ;-), but it is actually true. Suggestions anyone, how this might be possible?

all the best,
Christoph

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for OT, but while in academia i was able to act as an "Alchemist" (turning Mercury into Gold), and also as Anti-Alchimist (Turning Gold into Mercury). I fear with that statement i might risk loosing Randys trust ;-), but it is actually true. Suggestions anyone, how this might be possible?

all the best,
Christoph

lol

Nice. A get rich quick scheme gone wrong? lol

Since gold and mercury are adjacent in the periodic table, using an accelerator to knock a proton out of the nucleus of mercury gives gold, and forcing one into the gold creates mercury.

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, close ;-)

if been working with a research reactor as a neutron source. Neutron capture of Mercury-196 (a naturally occuring isotope of mercury) yields radioactive Hg-197, which decays to stable Gold-197.

On the other hand, neutron capture of stable Gold-197 will yield radioactive Gold-198, that decays to Mercury-198 (stable).

Those processes happen, when you put gold or mercury in a neutron flux :)

lpramos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent read, Randy, about chelated metals. Thanks.

I have a goniopora, a couple of alveoporas and everything else from softies to sticks. I have chaeto in the sump. I dose Two Little Fishies Iron and Manganese once a day. I do a Fauna Marin ICP every month to make sure I'm around NSW levels on most trace elements. For iron I like to stay barely detectable.

Your write up leaves me feeling that we know nothing and we could be poisoning our little friends.

It doesn't help that there's a thread right now saying that iron helps with dinos, where others say the opposite.

I know we're at the frontier of our knowledge, but can you please share your experience and opinion on whether Two Little Fishies Iron and Manganese is a good supplement, whether my dosing is appropriate and what it may or may not be accomplishing (good and bad)? Thanks in advance.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent read, Randy, about chelated metals. Thanks.

I have a goniopora, a couple of alveoporas and everything else from softies to sticks. I have chaeto in the sump. I dose Two Little Fishies Iron and Manganese once a day. I do a Fauna Marin ICP every month to make sure I'm around NSW levels on most trace elements. For iron I like to stay barely detectable.

Your write up leaves me feeling that we know nothing and we could be poisoning our little friends.

It doesn't help that there's a thread right now saying that iron helps with dinos, where others say the opposite.

I know we're at the frontier of our knowledge, but can you please share your experience and opinion on whether Two Little Fishies Iron and Manganese is a good supplement, whether my dosing is appropriate and what it may or may not be accomplishing (good and bad)? Thanks in advance.

I don't know anything about that supplement, but I think it is unlikely that it is going to cause problems.

FWIW, it is certainly possible that a trace element such as iron may cause different effects in different tanks.

If the dinos are iron limited, that's good and adding it may make them worse.

If a competing organism such as green algae or diatoms are iron limited, then adding it may spur them at the expense of the dinos.

OP
OP
T

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello!

The Beyond th Reef Podcast went online yesterday:

If you enjoy it, please hit the like button and leave a comment :)

Best regards,
Christoph

Thanks Christoph, I already received the alert on my phone, I am already subscribed to this channel with my amazon podcast account, very interesting things on this podcast. Can't wait to listen to this one especially!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back