OP
R

reef guy 56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinions are here:

I’m not making fun of you. I’m just ………well you’ll see what I’m doing. You know about that.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not making fun of you. I’m just ……… you’ll see what I’m doing. You know about that.

I was not concerned about that. :)

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tread is for reefers who are opinionated and don’t really know what they are talking about. (on trace elements.). Not the reef chemistry guy.
So what do you mean?

I don't dose any Trace elements, I do a 1% water change a day. Figured that might keep some of my traces in the tank.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this post, I've read as much as I can on trace elements and respect what everyone is doing. I dose based on the fact I don't do water changes and My corals look "prettier" when I'm dosing something. I also have first hand experience with the fact that my algae turf scrubber actually bleaches (All algae on the canvas turns pure bleach white as snow). I asked around what would cause that. I thought I had introduced something toxic to hair algae. (If there is something that toxic to hair algae I want it bottled so I can sell it! )

I asked the maker of the algae scrubber and he said he's had a few people report that and it may be tied to a deficiency. I guess to eliminate hair algae, simply deprive one's tank of trace elements.

It's happened a couple times in the last 2 years where within 24 hours all algae on the screen just turns pure white and it doesn't grow. It scrapes off so easy that I'm pretty sure it's dead.

That said, since being religious about dosing trace elements, I haven't had that bleaching occur since. Plus, my coral colors all look amazing. I don't measure trace elements, but I give measured doses of them.

I think the argument at this point should be - is trace element dosing necessary for a healthy reef yes / no?

If it's healthy to do so, then we can argue the forms of trace elements until we're blue in the face. What I'm doing is working for me so far. I would love cheaper options, but, if it's not broken don't fix it.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion trace don’t really matter to much.
Sooo… Is there some reason or first hand experience for this opinion?
The statement needs some meat and potatoes…

For example I have done zero water changes, i don’t do any two part and I don’t feed the corals or fish and look all the corals are growing like weeds.
I like to see some pictures.

Otherwise it is silly statement, all living things require some trace elements…

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they matter, probably. Can we reliably test for and dose to whatever level is considered correct, I doubt it.
Therein lies the dilemma. If you do weekly water changes then no dose required. If you don't do regular water changes then dosing is required but how much of each.

OP
OP
R

reef guy 56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m saying that a buzz word doesn’t make it the most important thing in the hobby I will say that trace is important but I think it’s made more important than it is.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m saying that a buzz word doesn’t make it the most important thing in the hobby I will say that trace is important but I think it’s made more important than it is.
Ok I get it now, in that case I agree.

The most important is Phosphate. Try to run your reef tank with zero phosphate and I bet it will not work.
Next Alk level, try it with zero or swing it up and down…
Next down balanced trace elements…

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I get it now, in that case I agree.

The most important is Phosphate. Try to run your reef tank with zero phosphate and I bet it will not work.
Next Alk level, try it with zero or swing it up and down…
Next down balanced trace elements…
Stable alk is boring… I like to keep my acros guessing lol…
IMG_3423.png

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion trace don’t really matter as much people say.

So which one is it? First you say in your opinion trace don't really matter then a few posts later you say they are important.

Do you currently keep a display? How long as it been running and how long have you been in the hobby.

OP
OP
R

reef guy 56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that trace elements are over hyped they are important but I think that they are not as important as people say.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stable alk is boring… I like to keep my acros guessing lol…
IMG_3423.png
That is not so bad…. mine is also not flat and I had 1dKh swings.

Brings up another question, how critical is the alk stability in our boxes?
Or what alk swings are detrimental?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back