Transferred 70g to AIO 75g Marineland

JLeeW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were given a tank from a friend to take over for him when he moved out of country. Backstory to explain why we do not know much about where the rock originated or how old some of the fish are. ‍♀️ I’m hoping someone will know what this creature is in our tank!

IMG_1418.jpeg IMG_1405.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do know there are several ball anemones in the tank, but the tubular thing under the rock is also a ball?
IMG_1524.jpeg
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Seeing could help with saying for certain, but as is I'm relatively confident it's an Edwardsiid (taxonomic family Edwardsiidae) anemone, sometimes called "Worm Anemones."

Assuming it's in a tropical tank, that would narrow the possible genera down to five different ones (Edwardsia, Edwardsianthus, Edwardsiella, Nematostella, and Scolanthus [Edit: forgot Paraedwardsia, though it's an unlikely one]); out of those, an Edwardsia sp. seems the most likely to me - unfortunately, the genus contains dozens of species and I haven't looked through them all, so I'm not sure which one at this point, but here are two (linked below) that look relatively close:

OP
OP
JLeeW

JLeeW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ball anemone. Harmless.
I do know there are several ball anemones in the tank, but the tubular thing under the rock is also a ball?
IMG_1524.jpeg

Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Thank you so much!! This is incredibly helpful! I was assuming it was some type of anemone but I looked everywhere for images that were even close and kept striking out. I’m so impressed with how quickly you were able to identify these guys! I think the ones in my tank look closest to the first one you sent the link for, but either way, so satisfying to be able to confirm at least that it’s an anemone!!!
Thank you again!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back