Transferring tanks

mihkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, we are transferring to another tank about 10 gallons bigger. We have a 36 gallon and just got a 46 gallon. I was wondering if I could take the live sand, live rock and water and transfer it to the new tank and add 10 gallons of saltwater? Or do I have to start the process all over again? The filter and everything we use now will be going to the new tank. We also got 20 more pounds of live sand for the new tank, so thank you in advance !!
-Ashley mikes gf

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, we are transferring to another tank about 10 gallons bigger. We have a 36 gallon and just got a 46 gallon. I was wondering if I could take the live sand, live rock and water and transfer it to the new tank and add 10 gallons of saltwater? Or do I have to start the process all over again? The filter and everything we use now will be going to the new tank. We also got 20 more pounds of live sand for the new tank, so thank you in advance !!
-Ashley mikes gf
I would not use old sand. As @blaxsun stated new sand, new water old Rock.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the old sand. But I would rinse the hell out of it. It traps a lot of crap and disturbing it is going to release all that crap.

OP
OP
M

mihkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use old sand. As @blaxsun stated new sand, new water old Rock.
The sand we have is not even a month old yet, it would suck to throw it all out.. so just use new sand and saltwater? Do I need to wait for the tank to cycle to add my fish, snails and coral?

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sand we have is not even a month old yet, it would suck to throw it all out.. so just use new sand and saltwater? Do I need to wait for the tank to cycle to add my fish, snails and coral?
I would still just wash it really well...but it's not like it's years old. Wash with tap until it's clear when you swish it around..final rinse with ro will work

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert in this, but I put together a tank new sand, water and rock out of my two other established tanks. Coral in, fish in no problem. It was a 55 gallon and only two clowns and a copperband.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not really going to see a cycle if you move over a bunch of established rock. But, if the tank is only a month old, it's not really 'established'. Worse you'll see is an ammonia spike from disturbing the sand - but, again if it's just a month old - there's not really anything in the sand yet either. If you can't do all new water, just siphon off some to save before you disturb the sand and discard the rest, then rinse the sand real good.

OP
OP
M

mihkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not really going to see a cycle if you move over a bunch of established rock. But, if the tank is only a month old, it's not really 'established'. Worse you'll see is an ammonia spike from disturbing the sand - but, again if it's just a month old - there's not really anything in the sand yet either. If you can't do all new water, just siphon off some to save before you disturb the sand and discard the rest, then rinse the sand real good.
Ok so I should rinse the sand I currently have even though it was live sand? And I have a lot of rock in the tank from established tanks.. is it better just to use everything new excluding the rocks?

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everyone in this thread is telling you the same thing.

Your biological filter does not live in the glass box, it lives in the rock.

OP
OP
M

mihkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I should rinse the sand I currently have even though it was live sand? And I have a lot of rock in the tank from established tanks.. is it better just to use everything new excluding the rocks?
I also forgot to mention I just added phytoplankton to the tank today; so I don’t know if that matters or if I should just use new water

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back