OP
Trash Flavored Trash

Trash Flavored Trash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Backstory:

I have only ever done nano reef aquariums for the last 16 years, although I did run a 3000-gallon system at a coral farm in Florida for a bit. I was hunting for a larger setup, as my partner was encouraging me to move my aquarium to the basement due to the light bothering her. I was ready to pull the trigger on a new Fiji Cube setup, but when I was in my LFS for filter media I came across a Waterbox Marine X 110.4 with some damage.

IMG_5394.JPG

The only crack is a small 1" chip on the bottom corner of the back glass, which appears to be entirely superficial. This thread may eventually serve as an "I told you so" situation with the chip, but I have discussed it with many people who have run tanks with similar damage and feel confident it shouldn't be an issue. I have also siliconed a small metal bracket on the outside of this corner.

IMG_5327.jpg

They had it marked down from $2,499 to $750 (although I remember seeing it listed at $1,500 the week before), but I talked them down to $400.

I still have some work to do in the basement where this tank will be going, but stay tuned for updates as I get this going!

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet deal. Idk if I could sleep sound with a chip in my tank, but I'm a paranoid person as is. Definitely following.

OP
OP
Trash Flavored Trash

Trash Flavored Trash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along!

I nervously followed, too! Finger's crossed there's no need for "I told you so"! :)

Post more pics of the "crack/chip" when you can.

Sweet deal. Idk if I could sleep sound with a chip in my tank, but I'm a paranoid person as is. Definitely following.

I had originally planned on replacing the glass panel, but after speaking with a few people whose opinions I trust, I feel better about just going for it.

More pictures of the chip (I stopped playing with it after this):
IMG_5390.JPG

IMG_5392.JPG

OP
OP
Trash Flavored Trash

Trash Flavored Trash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got two XR15 Blue G6 (upgraded from G5) with diffusers and custom mounting brackets to fit 2012 aluminum extrusion for $550 shipped. Not a bad deal at all, if I do say so myself!

WB110-00005.JPG

I am ordering the extrusion and a hanging kit for this now, hoping to sort out a clean hanging solution for ~$40.

OP
OP
Trash Flavored Trash

Trash Flavored Trash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part one of the custom light mount arrived, a 36" piece of 2012 aluminum extrusion to slide the mounting brackets onto. I have some black t-slot channel cover coming in tomorrow that I will cut to fit in between each bracket, aligning them in place so that each light is in the center of each half of the tank. After the brackets are aligned, I'll unbolt the lights from them to paint the mounting setup black, and then bolt them back on once dry.

WB110-00006.jpg

This whole thing will be held up with quick-adjust steel cables mounted to the ceiling so that I can slide them up a bit if necessary for maintenance.

OP
OP
Trash Flavored Trash

Trash Flavored Trash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to just keep posting updates for each little step I do, as I am generally pretty bad about documenting actual in progress stuff. The tslot covers came in so I cut them to size and attached them to the extrusion, which is successfully keeping the brackets where they need to be. I will drill mounting holes shortly and then paint the whole thing after work, and reattach the lights:

WB110-00007.JPG

In other news, I've made some progress on basement renovations, and hope to have things completed by next weekend. The floors have been resealed (3 coats of concrete sealer), the ducting has been redone to make it look nicer in this room and remove 60 feet of unnecessary ducting, giving me a ton more headroom. They also flipped the HVAC system around so I could access it from the "utility" side of the basement, and not have to build an access panel in the "nice" side.

I studded out the divider wall, added a new breaker for the aquarium, and installed a few outlets. I need to redo the lighting a bit, and then will drywall and paint! I know it looks a bit like a murder dungeon, but it should be night and day once its done.

One before shot:
WB110-00008.jpg

A few current shots:
WB110-00009.JPG

WB110-00010.JPG

WB110-00011.JPG

Everything except for the ductwork is being done by me, so it's going a little slow :p. The house was also built in the 1880s and is a tiny little downtown rowhome, so I am making the best I can with the space I have. It's going to be a tight fit.

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had originally planned on replacing the glass panel, but after speaking with a few people whose opinions I trust, I feel better about just going for it.

More pictures of the chip (I stopped playing with it after this):
IMG_5390.JPG

IMG_5392.JPG

You’ve got bigger golf ⚽️’s than me - I wouldn’t trust that crack imo but Godspeed

OP
OP
Trash Flavored Trash

Trash Flavored Trash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve got bigger golf ⚽️’s than me - I wouldn’t trust that crack imo but Godspeed
I think I've been worn down on this idea....I suppose I am going to just replace the glass o_O

In other news, I decided to set up a manifold before the tank was wet, although I didn't pull the trigger on the Waterbox one ($35 for my DIY 3-valve vs $70 for the WB 2-valve). I will likely be doing a display refugium, UV, and a reactor plumbed off of this.

IMG_5760.jpg

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished a little house reno for the wife so that I could upgrade my tank. Kudos on doing most the work yourself! Can't wait to see the results. Following along.

OP
OP
Trash Flavored Trash

Trash Flavored Trash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished a little house reno for the wife so that I could upgrade my tank. Kudos on doing most the work yourself! Can't wait to see the results. Following along.
Thank you, I have been having a lot of fun! I partially renovated an older family house that I was living in but didn't own before this, but it didn't quite feel the same as owning something. I just finished up all the wiring and have a half wall to stud out before I get to drywall!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back