Trisodium Phosphate measuring grams without a scale?

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a couple quick questions.... How do I measure grams of Trisodium Phosphate without a gram scale? It is for Phosphate solution as I have lost all my Phosphates they moved out weeks ago in the middle of the night. And where can I get the best actual easy recipe to mix my own phosphate..? I know there must be a way to measure out grams besides eyeballing it? I am new to this all together, but I am learning from you all on this one for sure.. Thanks really

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
salty-salt-bae.gif

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a couple quick questions.... How do I measure grams of Trisodium Phosphate without a gram scale? It is for Phosphate solution as I have lost all my Phosphates they moved out weeks ago in the middle of the night. And where can I get the best actual easy recipe to mix my own phosphate..? I know there must be a way to measure out grams besides eyeballing it? I am new to this all together, but I am learning from you all on this one for sure.. Thanks really
Randy has some great info in the chemistry forum. He’s very detailed. I would search there

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I do that search..? For Randy Holmes that is..?

I know he’s equated tea/tablespoons in posts in the past for things like his salinity test standard. Maybe post in there and see if he can help you out.

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know he’s equated tea/tablespoons in posts in the past for things like his salinity test standard. Maybe post in there and see if he can help you out.
Thank you Blind Man...lol really thanks and I will check it out.. Randy's the man for sure.. Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is the purpose of this solution you need to make?

If it is for phosphate dosing to a reef aquarium, the exact concentration is not important at all, and I recommend using this calculator and the entry for phosphate from potassium phosphate. it is close enough and gives a recipe based on teaspoons.

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the purpose of this solution you need to make?

If it is for phosphate dosing to a reef aquarium, the exact concentration is not important at all, and I recommend using this calculator and the entry for phosphate from potassium phosphate. it is close enough and gives a recipe based on teaspoons.

Randy...

You really are the Guru of Seawater I really have noticed that and do respect just that to the max..
You have helped so, so, many individuals in this hobby and most of all you are always there as well..!
You know ALL about the actual heart of this hobby where everything begins and can end as well.
I have to ask only because I don't really know or maybe I have no couth lol. What Is your field and depth of expertise in this hobby is it associated with your employment, line of work? I do apologize this, but I just
don't know so I am just asking....

And thanks again Randy really I am sure from all of us....

Oh yes lol, I just noticed in your post lol. My phosphates bottomed out for some time now (5 weeks), I dropped my NO3 down 20ppm, lost all phosphates. Then I then moved around about 210lbs+ extremely old base live rock out of the sand. Exposing a lot of white non-coraline covered rock ( very deep fine sand bed) And a real lot of it..! I thought maybe some PO would leach out nope it didn't, just a bit lol. maybe its the opposite and the exposed new non covered rock is sucking up phosphates..? I have dosed and dosed Neopos...lol Up and down, then repeat and repeat.. I thought to be huge doses = 20ml twice or three times a day a see-saw affect over and over. Dumped in about a 1/4 a bottle last evening! Test in 24 hours. But now I am in it for the long haul I guess? I want to switch to Trisodium Phosphate I believe it to be a better option. Is that rite..?

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy...

You really are the Guru of Seawater I really have noticed that and do respect just that to the max..
You have helped so, so, many individuals in this hobby and most of all you are always there as well..!
You know ALL about the actual heart of this hobby where everything begins and can end as well.
I have to ask only because I don't really know or maybe I have no couth lol. What Is your field and depth of expertise in this hobby is it associated with your employment, line of work? I do apologize this, but I just
don't know so I am just asking....

And thanks again Randy really.. Thanks

You're welcome and thanks. :)

I am a professional chemist, with a BA in Biology and Chemistry from Cornell and a PhD in chemistry from Harvard. I've been the expert moderator of chemistry related reef aquarium issues since the days of Compuserve Fishnet in the early 1990's. I kept my own reef aquarium for 20 years, but it is not currently up.

In the work world, I am currently the VP of Discovery at Entrega. In the past, I have co-invented three FDA approved pharmaceuticals used worldwide (colesevelam (Cholestagel and Welchol), sevelamer hydrochloride (Renagel), sevelamer carbonate (Renvela).

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holly... I knew it.. Most people don't have any idea do they? Speaking maybe on behalf of us all, I am sure this whole community to entirely grateful for your dedication to this hobby as well as maybe others? Wow your credentials or just staggering to say the least.. I am floored.. speechless and cause you don't even have a tank of sorts set-up? lol.. sorry that's funny to me.. Rock on brother about what age are you/ I am 66..lol

Back