Triton Test - Trying out for... SCIENCE!

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen several people results show normal Al levels (Not high). There's been a lot of discussion about it lately ( Just ask Randy :lol: )

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth, here are the results of my test as well. I had a handful of high readings. The copper is one I'm a bit concerned with. Don't know how that is occurring? Of note, this sample was sent in after I had skipped doing water changes for probably 6 weeks. I'm going to be getting on a regular schedule of once a month and I'm adding a refugium to grow macro-algae. So, I'm sure my results will change. I'll retest again in a month or so. I'm going to send in a sample of my salt water mix in the mean time to see what I'm putting in my tank when I change the water. That might shed some light on where the high levels are coming from?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I have carefully tested my tank for copper in the past and found values higher than yours (mine was 11-13 ppb, IIRC), and while I preferred it to be lower, the tank had no apparent issues and I don't consider your copper level a significant issue.

My recent Triton test didn't detect copper. Perhaps my system has changed a bit in recent years to reduce the value.

FWIW, someone recently tested Reef Crystals and it had some copper. Do you use it?

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/re.../176536-reef-crystals-vs-esv-triton-test.html

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a minor update on the going-ons of the tank. I have taken out my main water flow method (Reeflo dart Hybrid plus two 1" Sea Swirls) and replaced it with one 50w Gyre Generator and a Mag 12. Unfortunately, I am having issues with the new Mag 12 pump, and am hoping the new impeller being sent by Danner will fix it. I took the opportunity to clean out the sump and skimmer.

The reason I mention the above is because I changed about 10+ gallons of water, with the skimmer/sump often being inactive, and the Phosban Reactor being turned off. I am waiting until everything stabilizes before I send out another Triton Test to see where I stand.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump for a good thread! :)

Looking to find more test results per salt brand myself...

Unfortunate to see the elevated levels so far with a few brands and now left to question other variables.

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley (Thought you would find the Al interesting)

I am back with part two of my Triton test results. I have since change a couple things from my tank:

- I started using filter socks about two weeks ago. All water going into the sump has to pass through the filter socks.

- Instead of 10G weekly water changes (With RC salt), I now do 20G water changes every other week. I did this because I am better able to gravel vac my system in one shot. I take one full free day every two weeks to clean my system, and I've seen nothing but good results so far.

- About a month or so ago, I started feeding LRS Fish Frenzy and Herbivore Frenzy only. I now do some flake in the morning, some more flake or LRS food in the afternoon, and LRS food in the evening.

- I carbon dose about 50-60mL of vinegar a day (As opposed to about 40mL a day)

Triton 2-11-15.jpg

Triton 2-11-15 P2.jpg

Things of note:

- My aluminum level has significantly dropped. While I have no proof, I strongly believe the removal of the Marine Pure 8X8X4 block is the reason for the major drop in level.

- My Calcium level surprised me. I have been getting the same consistent reading of 500+ from my Salifert Test Kit. This kind of annoys me... as this will be my second bad test kit with Salifert, if this is the case. :(

- Tin is still high in their eyes... meh. :lol:

- The other low level stuff like Strontium, I am not too worried about. I will most likely not actively dose to increase it.

Last edited:

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth, here are the results of my test as well. I had a handful of high readings. The copper is one I'm a bit concerned with. Don't know how that is occurring? Of note, this sample was sent in after I had skipped doing water changes for probably 6 weeks. I'm going to be getting on a regular schedule of once a month and I'm adding a refugium to grow macro-algae. So, I'm sure my results will change. I'll retest again in a month or so. I'm going to send in a sample of my salt water mix in the mean time to see what I'm putting in my tank when I change the water. That might shed some light on where the high levels are coming from?

Fwiw, my tank showed similar copper. I sent out a couple more tests to find the source, which ended up being my tap water and ro water. So using tap water to the frozen food, or for black worms in my case, as w well as all old ro filters were my cause. My to only showed a tds of 1. That 1 tds was letting through about 2.10 ug/l copper iirc.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I don't know if these levels have been fixed or not. But, I do know that my tank is currently doing pretty darn good. My acros are looking fantastic. So, I'm not going to mess with anything right now. I guess sending in another sample would be worthwhile to see if anything is better?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Admittedly this post has nothing to do with water chemistry, so forgive me for a moment. I had the privilege of seeing Christian’s (Electrobes) tank in person just last week. I can tell you the original pictures he posted do not do it justice. It’s really unique and quite beautiful, and is very well and cleanly put together. I just stumbled on this thread and will now follow along having seen it in person. Great information here Christian.

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey dbl!! Thanks you should see it now, I spent an entire day cleaning it! [emoji38]

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks dbl! I change a couple things and cleaned the tank since you were here last!! [emoji38]

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ack I just now saw how small the pic is, blarg.

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IGNORE THE ABOVE TEST RESULTS! THERE WAS A MIX UP AT TRITON, ANOTHER CUSTOMER WROTE IN MY TANK ID BY MISTAKE. THESE ARE MY ACTUAL TEST RESULTS!!!!

@Randy Holmes-Farley (Thought you would find the Al interesting)

I am back with part two of my Triton test results. I have since change a couple things from my tank:

- I discovered my dosing pump was only dosing 1/4th of what I thought it was.. a biiiig oops. I have since re-calibrated.

- I started using filter socks about two weeks ago. All water going into the sump has to pass through the filter socks.

- Instead of 10G weekly water changes (With RC salt), I now do 25G-30G water changes every other week. I did this because I am better able to gravel vac my system in one shot. I take one full free day every two weeks to clean my system, and I've seen nothing but good results so far.

- About a month or so ago, I started feeding LRS Fish Frenzy and Herbivore Frenzy only. I now do LRS Fish Frenzy in the morning, some herbivore flake food for lunch, and back to LRS Fish Frenzy in the evening.

- I carbon dose about 40mL of vinegar a day

Things of note:

- My aluminum level has significantly dropped. While I have no proof, I strongly believe the removal of the Marine Pure 8X8X4 block is the reason for the major drop in level.

- Tin is still high in their eyes... meh.

-
Calcium is very high, as my other test kits have indicated. I honestly don't know why, as I've stopped dosing calcium for a week and a half, and only my Reef Crystals water changes could be elevating it. Who knows.. my frags are growing bunches so I am not too worried about this quite yet.

- Magnesium currently at 1320ppm (I just tested it), so a slight bump is needed.. no biggie.

- Bromide is high.. I guess it's my salt?

- Lithium is always high for me.

- Phosphorus and Phosphate are a little high, but can easily be explained by my only dosing a 1.4th of my total vinegar I thought I was dosing. I'll wait a month or two since my dosing pump has been calibrated, and re-run a Triton test to see where I am at with this. I have nothing in my tank that indicates these parameters are a problem.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back