Trochus Snails Finished Algae

c0b_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a couple of weeks since I purchased these 2 trochus snails for my 10 gallon tank, and they've cleaned all the algae that I can see. Will they starve? If so, what should I supplement their diet with?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you need to feed them unless your tank is new and super clean but, that aside, I will say this:

My turbo snails absolutely loved sheet nori when I was feeding them that in QT -- I don't go out of my way to feed them now that they're in DT

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of behavior will they display if they are short of food?
They’ll slow down. Trochus snails are typically active at night, so that would be the time to observe them. As noted, you can put a some nori on the bottom, preferably with a little rock to keep it in place. But if your rocks are tinged green even in the slightest, you probably have more than enough actual algae in the system to sustain your snails.

OP
OP
C

c0b_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’ll slow down. Trochus snails are typically active at night, so that would be the time to observe them. As noted, you can put a some nori on the bottom, preferably with a little rock to keep it in place. But if your rocks are tinged green even in the slightest, you probably have more than enough actual algae in the system to sustain your snails.
Will hikari algae wafers work as well? Or will they only consume nori?

OP
OP
C

c0b_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. There's plenty of algae that you can't see and plenty more to come, especially for two snails in a 10g.
I noticed that after 2 or 3 days, a couple of small, brown, greenish spots on the rocks start growing, so would that be enough to sustain the snails?

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that after 2 or 3 days, a couple of small, brown, greenish spots on the rocks start growing, so would that be enough to sustain the snails?
I think you’re starting to see the beginnings of coralline algae which means you also have enough biofilm, including other algae types additionally on the rock for the snails to eat. For reference, My rocks are covered in coralline and I don’t have visible nuisance algae anywhere in sight aside from the front and side display panel. Every night, an armada of trochus snails come in out. During the day, they camp out in one corner.

OP
OP
C

c0b_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re starting to see the beginnings of coralline algae which means you also have enough biofilm, including other algae types additionally on the rock for the snails to eat. For reference, My rocks are covered in coralline and I don’t have visible nuisance algae anywhere in sight aside from the front and side display panel. Every night, an armada of trochus snails come in out. During the day, they camp out in one corner.
Thanks for the advice! Also another question, I have a eheim jager 50W heater for my 10 gallon tank, but since my hob filter (aquaclear 70) cannot hold it, I have to place it in the tank. However, when the heater is running, the trochus snails just sit on it. Should I be concerned?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! Also another question, I have a eheim jager 50W heater for my 10 gallon tank, but since my hob filter (aquaclear 70) cannot hold it, I have to place it in the tank. However, when the heater is running, the trochus snails just sit on it. Should I be concerned?
Nope -- no problem. (((I assume you're running at a normal temperature inside 75-80 ... not hot tub 105 or something)))

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Mine huddle next to two very large titanium heaters that I really should relocate to my sump. They seem to love it.

Back