Tulip Mania, Anyone?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby and the prices that come with it are getting obscene. I mean, just look at this. 50k for a single Acanthophyllia?!? Are we out of our minds? This is exactly like the Tulip Mania. It's absurd.

What else can you get for 50k?

- A year of rent paid off in the United States.

- A new car.

- A fully functioning 200 gallon reef tank.

- AND a full tank of gas for an entire year.

OR you could spend it on:

- A single vaguely colorful bit of tissue attached to a piece of calcium carbonate which has a 25% chance of dying in the first year.

These prices really have gone too far. I mean really. And I thought the two $30,000 tangs were bad. We really need to look at all the stuff being sold to us and ask; is it really worth that much to me? How long until GSP passes the $100 mark? It won't be that much longer at this rate. Either this hobby is full of billionaires who can pay for this stuff, or we're a bunch of gullible idiots.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That might be the most expensive thing I have ever seen in this hobby
giphy.gif

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More of the same kind of stuff... When will it end? The most expensive freshwater fish are a maximum of a few hundred dollars. This kind of stuff is just absurd. This "koi" tang is worth maybe $200. Perhaps a little higher, but certainly not 30k!

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a holy grail, ultra, and a rainbow. Since it has the trifecta of buzzwords each one acts as a price multiplier. I don't think it will sell though because they forgot to put an initial price of $100,000 so it looks like it is marked down 50%.

I also like that underneath the price is the option for an installment plan, but only up to $30k. Which means you would need to put $20k as a down payment...on a coral.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a holy grail, ultra, and a rainbow. Since it has the trifecta of buzzwords each one acts as a price multiplier. I don't think it will sell though because they forgot to put an initial price of $100,000 so it looks like it is marked down 50%.

I also like that underneath the price is the option for an installment plan, but only up to $30k. Which means you would need to put $15k as a down payment...on a coral.

It's not even a very nice coral. I like my $17 Xenia better.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More of the same kind of stuff... When will it end? The most expensive freshwater fish are a maximum of a few hundred dollars. This kind of stuff is just absurd. This "koi" tang is worth maybe $200. Perhaps a little higher, but certainly not 30k!

Actually there was a Koi that sold for $1.8m. Arowana's go from $300 to $70,000.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d tag Andrew but he’s not in this forum lol! And not the most expensive thing I’ve ever seen in the hobby I forget what it was but someone was trying to sell something for a million dollars!

That was the Battlecorals "Fairy Food" acro. It wasn't serious, just a vendor having a laugh.

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I picked up 5 big frags of the stuff a few weeks ago. Since then, they're already grown into 4" mini colonies. My goal is that by summer 2024 the tank will be full of the stuff.

1693068258172.png
Im letting my take over a rock full of softies and anemones. I get that it’s a weed but I like it and it’s not picky. Keeping it on a large island though as I do have SPS and LPS elsewhere in the tank.

Nice RG photo bomb too!

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PHEW LOL!

It was actually $2 million on a 50% off sale. It's been on sale for a while now :thinking-face:

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone somehow has way too much money to spend, while at the same time lacking two pennies to rub together... I really don't get it. People will pay what you charge, period. Nobody has the attention span to research what it should cost, or the nerve to contest these prices. Too bad, because the rest of up with normal incomes are suffering with this artificial inflation.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back