Tunze Macro Algae Reactor on an AIO

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone done this before? If so, share some pics please!
As of right now I was thinking of doing barbed elbows and putting it on top of my reservoir (pics to follow)

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. And now you are making me look into the Tunze Macro Algae Reactor. I was unaware there was such a thing... I guess I'm getting to be too 'old school'.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run one in my IM SR120. I made two U’s out of 1/2” pvc, up and over the back chamber, two shut off valves and pvc nipples. I attached the silicone tubing to the nipples, a good fit, but used plastic clamps just in case. I ran mine down to the cabinet and back up. I did have to switch to a Sicce silent 2.5 pump because I could not get the Tunze pump to run the water the distance at 12 volts. I know that you can increase the power of the Tunze pump to 24 volt power supply, I just haven’t gotten around to ordering it.

OP
OP
Homewrecker

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. And now you are making me look into the Tunze Macro Algae Reactor. I was unaware there was such a thing... I guess I'm getting to be too 'old school'.
I don’t think it’s an old school new school thing. It’s a really nice product if you don’t have the sump space(although I’ve used it on a sump).
I find that it’s the only way I was able to keep chaeto contained

OP
OP
Homewrecker

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: with the tubing that comes with the MAR it’s too challenging to really set anything up so I’m replacing it with black tubing(it happens to be a bit more rigid as well). This will be a Thursday DIY

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it's not just "old" Ron.
Will you make MACNA this year?
Hey, I've just turned 75... so yes, it is 'old Ron'!!!

I considered going to MACNA (I lve in SW Florida), but my only tank now is a 40g aio with no fish, just corals and other inverts. And the tank is a bit too new to be adding more until it matures more. It's still going through the 'uglies stage'.

And I don't go in for all the newer, high tech equipment. Heck, I go in my reefroom every morning and manually dose alk (swimming pool soda ash) & Ca (Dow Flake snow melt) and check on the ATO.

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used elbows in the past and they don’t stay in place and make it sort of a PIA. Picks to follow on how I did it for my third attempt on a third AIO.

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a JBJ 45AIO. That part isn't important but here is how it sits.

IMG_7418.JPG

This tank had 2 return pumps and I pulled them both out and replaced them with a Jebao 6500. I run it at 50% and with the the head pressure it's doing pretty decent. I could run it up to 100% but I'm not sure I want that much flow yet. This tank is not mature yet. I ran 5/8" black silicone tubing from the pump the the inlet of the chaeto reactor. From the output of the reactor is 3/4" black silicone tubing up to a Y splitter and from that into the 2 return vinyl lines that had already been in the tank. 1/2" maybe, I don't remember honestly. I have tried using PVC to make U joints and such over the back and I have found it is just not needed. A single run of tubing is easy and it flows great.
IMG_7419.JPG

The tubing near camera is a drain for the skimmer. If you look close you can see the Y fitting on the return line between the supply line and the tank rear wall.
IMG_7420.JPG

One of the best things you can do for yourself is to leave enough tubing to pull the reactor out of the stand so you can work on it on the floor in front. It is so much easier to work with for maintenance. I just let the tubing rest against whatever in the stand after I put the reactor back in. Also, make sure you have a valve on both tubes to stop the siphon. It's not fun to put one in after the fact. Ask me how I know.

IMG_7421.JPG

IMG_7422.JPG

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.5%
Back