Tunze Osmolator 3155 Optical Sensor Issue?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Titus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tunze Osmolator that has run flawlessly for the first 5 years I had it, but this year it has taken a turn. Last month the pump died, so I swapped in the backup 5000.02 pump I had and it was back to working great until this weekend:

-Yesterday, I awoke to the high water alarm. I unplugged the osmolator and let it sit.
-This morning, evaporation had the water level back below the optical sensor level, so I plugged it back in. I watched as it added water, blowing right past the optical sensor level and not stopping until it hit the high water mechanical sensor.
-I took the unit off the tank, soaked the sensors in vinegar for a few hours, and then cleaned it all up so it looked good as new. A bench test shows it is still not seeing water on the optical sensor. Results when I plug it in with the sensor dry:
1) all 4 lights flash once together.
2) Random. One of the following happens: A) a flash of the green level light, B) a flash of the Yellow pump light, C) a flash of the red low light, D) no lights, E) Long green light, F) Long red light (I have tested this at least 20 times with 2 minute breaks between tests and have had all of the above happen, with several happening at least twice)
3) Yellow pump light comes on and pump for about 10 seconds
4) Green light flashed several times
5) Green and yellow light and pump all come on. Putting the optical sensor in water has no affect.

Is my sensor bad, or dose the randomness of the lights mean the 5017 controller is bad? Can either of these be replaced/repaired, or am I stuck spending $200 on a completely new unit?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like a break in a wire or a short in the optic sensor. I would send it in, if it is just the sensor it can be repaired. The only caveat would be if this unit is older than 2009, it likely is not repairable and the issue is probably incompatibility with the newer pumps made since which need more power than the older ones can supply.

Tunze USA
2121 Cole Springs Rd
Buda TX 78610

Last edited:
OP
OP
Titus

Titus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like a break in a wire or a short in the optic sensor. I would send it in, if it is just the sensor it can be repaired. The only caveat would be if this unit is older than 2009, it likely is not repairable and the issue is probably incompatibility with the newer pumps made since which need more power than the older ones can supply.

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin, TX 78753
Thanks for the reply! I purchased it new in late 2012, so hopefully it wasn't setting on a shelf for 3 years LOL. Do I need to contact someone about a work order prior to sending it in? Should I just send in the controller with connected sensors, or should I send everything (power supply, pump, magnets, etc)?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do every repair, just be sure to include a note with return address and phone number.

OP
OP
Titus

Titus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, it should be done within a day of getting it.
Sadly I have no idea when it will get to you. The tracking originally showed an expected delivery date of yesterday, but now it no longer shows one. The last scan had it leaving a regional sorting facility Tuesday.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will see, postal tracking is not terribly reliable, a lot of times regardless of what tracking shows it just shows up.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can, but generally not in a short time. The optic sensor uses infrared LED and recievers and it has a life span of about 5 years, they can be replaced for $29.49. The float switch is a mechanical switch, on the nano Osmolator is has a life of about 4 years, but since it is rarely used on the Osmolator (it is a back up that rarely comes into play) it usually lasts as long as the controller circuitry which is typically about 10 years.

eulalio flores

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can, but generally not in a short time. The optic sensor uses infrared LED and recievers and it has a life span of about 5 years, they can be replaced for $29.49. The float switch is a mechanical switch, on the nano Osmolator is has a life of about 4 years, but since it is rarely used on the Osmolator (it is a back up that rarely comes into play) it usually lasts as long as the controller circuitry which is typically about 10 years.
How do I get them replaced I believe this might be my issue with my optical eye Is there a link or something that I could possibly order it from or am I supposed to ship it and where do I ship it to

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they are replaced the controller should be recalibrated, so it would need to come in. Be sure the sensor is clean, the most common sensor issues are hazed over by minerals and a 1 hour soak in vinegar will solve that, but be sure to remove it from the magnet mount first so all sides get cleaned. Also, keep in mind that a refugium grow light generally emits infrared, growlight spectrum can also cause them to not work as optic sensors work on infrared. How old is it?

You would send it to Tunze USA, 2121 Cole Springs Rd, Buda, TX 78610 with a note that has your return address and phone number.

Last edited:

SinisterLou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a question about the optical eye. I just bought mine and installed it. The first time it ran the eye did not stop the water but the back up sensor did triggering the alarm. It did happen during the refugium light cycle time. i run a 2700 k led light on but the sensor does not get direct light. My question is if the sensor could read that it was low on water triggering it to run, why did it not read the level when top offed engaging the back up sensor?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Optic sensors work on infrared, most refugium grow lights include infrared spectrum and essentially blind the sensor. It will be important that the sensor has no exposure to the light.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin, TX 78753
Sorry for the Necro post but found a similar issue here.

My high water sensor is constantly stopping the ato from filling. The optical eye works for a little and than fails. I can never catch it in action of overfilling. I've cleaned it several times no dice.

How much would it be to be repaired ?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is it? Are you sure this is not just the result of timed fills on a smaller aquarium, below 50 gallons the preset overfills will cause this and there are workarounds to solve this on small tanks but there is nothing I can do here, it is just a matter of restricting the pump flow. If it ever submerges the float entirely, siphons are a possible cause.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is it? Are you sure this is not just the result of timed fills on a smaller aquarium, below 50 gallons the preset overfills will cause this and there are workarounds to solve this on small tanks but there is nothing I can do here, it is just a matter of restricting the pump flow. If it ever submerges the float entirely, siphons are a possible cause.
It's worked for the last 2 years perfectly. I've moved the tank to my new house and it started. I figured the sensor had film so cleaned it and now I'm using vinegar to clean it.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally a film causes no filling, not overfilling. Has anything changed from the original set up? This can be something subtle, hose routing, use of a refugium light, changes in equipment positioning?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back