twinspots_goby's new system...

twinspots_goby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some of you might know, I had a tank crash in the last summer. Low Alk and Calc while I was gone for a couple fishing trips. Yes. I had a lot fun while I was gone, but came back with a disaster. I lost many of my precious corals and I was very depressed for a while. So I was having a delima: quit or continue. Well, I just couldn't quit. I'm so addicted to this hobby. I told myself, if I want to continue, why not upgrade my entire system with better equipments and better control, so same problems won't happen again. So this is my decision.

One of my local reefers, Louis helped me for my entire upgrade, starting out with planning, shopping goods, and plumbing. Again Thanks to Louis for helping me so much and I wouldn't and couldn't do it without him.

This upgrade includes moving tanks from one room to another which is my fish room. adding two 150gal stock tanks on top of each other. one for water change and one for sump. Table to hold the stock tank as well as skimmer, reactors and place to hold accessries. adding a new skimmer which is Reef Octopus XP8000 Cone. replumbing my 225 gal display and100 gal frag tank. adding 120 gal new fish only tank, and 300 gal new display tank. adding 300gal DT is only thing that is pending. I still need to figure out what dimensions I like to go. probably 90"L x 36"W x 25"H starfire glass tank. But the plumbing is done for it. That's the reason I bought this new bigger skimmer which is rated up to 1,500gal, and capable to run my entire system. adding a neptune controller to control my whole system. I plan to add a webcam which allows me to monitor my tanks 24/7, but this is also pending.

we have been working on this project for 10 days in a row. there are many days we stayed up to 7 or 8am. it wasn't fun at all.

I have promised that I will post some pics, but didn't have time to do that. Here are a couple iphone photos taken by Benny_Z last week. not great pics, but you get an idea. I will take some time to take some great pics.

picture141.jpg

picture142.jpg

picture143.jpg

picture144.jpg

picture146.jpg

Last edited:

Emoney

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frank,

I knew you were addicted..But had now clue it was that bad!! lol...Looks great!!!!! Wish i had the room for all of that!

Knowing you i know all them tanks are packed with Super Nice Corals.

Nice job !

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setups!
I wish I had room for tanks like those. I would have so many tanks,hahaha!

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Frank. Nice setup my friend. I love the dimensions on the display you have yet to get. 90" long would be awesome!

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All i can say is WOW i had no idea it looked like that. Will our new DT be visible any where else other then the fish room?

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet skimmer!!! I know what you mean about not being fun... planning is fun, setting up... a little less so.

OP
OP
twinspots_goby

twinspots_goby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new DT won't be in the fish room. No more space. lol instead, it will go right behind my 225 gal DT face the other side. My plan is to build a dry wall around it to make it look like a in wall tank. There will be space behind my tank for maintainance. it will be two sides viewable. The front and viewable side are starfire. I plan to have one or two wave box with 1 mp60 and two mp40s in this new tank. all those pumps will be placed and hide from the other side. So you won't see the pumps from front and side view. overflow will be centered and i will build my rock work around the over flow. so fish can swim around in 360 degree. I'm still deciding what lights I'm going to put it on. It will be mixed reef tank again. So either 3/4 250W MH with VHO supplements or LEDs only depending on my budget. This is all I can think of right now for this tank.

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow incredible setup! To say I am jealous of your fish room would be an understatement lol!

OP
OP
twinspots_goby

twinspots_goby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been practicing my photoshooting skill with my canon 50D and 60mm macro lens. All I can say is that there is a long way to go. I will begin posting some photos I took in the past months after this new setup.

OP
OP
twinspots_goby

twinspots_goby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some of my corals.

ora red goni's
IMG_1459.jpg

red acro, don't know what it is.
IMG_1447.jpg

orange tip gloves
IMG_1311.jpg

rodatics
IMG_1156.jpg

war coral
IMG_1018.jpg

flame tip
IMG_1025.jpg

forgot what it is
IMG_0981.jpg

sympodium
IMG_1391.jpg

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man those are some great pics/corals! That first mushroom looks like it has some tiny deepwater acros growing on it:)

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 98 41.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 49.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.4%
Back