TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time!

My lyretail anthias unfortunately did not survive my 2 week vacation because she would only eat frozen food which my auto feeder obviously cannot provide :disappointed-face:

Maroon clowns are super happy. I hope my BTA in my display splits soon so I can give them one. The candy cane frag I got on discount at LFS is getting FAT! I’m also temporarily housing a GSP frag from display in the frag tank because it has a feather duster in it - I had to treat the display with prazipro, which I understand kills worms.

IMG_4973.jpeg
IMG_4971.jpeg
IMG_4969.jpeg
IMG_4970.jpeg

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last surving damsel seems to have fallen in love with the fat candy cane frag. The other 3 died quite randomly at different times. Wonder if they were bullied to death?
IMG_5004.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a very pretty rainbow BTA, a piece of broken birdsnest, and a freebie frag (no idea what it is, do you know?) to the frag system today, courtesy of the Dallas Fort Worth Marine Aquarium Society (DFWMAS) March frag swap!

92CAABFD-F83A-4104-B7AE-DA8DCFF6E5C1.jpeg
IMG_5100.jpeg
IMG_5099.jpeg

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaned up the tank and re-organized the frag racks. I turned the spectrum back to favor blue/purple because the full daylight spectrum was making the hair algae explode. Lots of work done with the razor blade and tooth brush… also half the caulerpa in the fuge went sexual and died, so I turned the fuge light to 24/7.

IMG_5639.jpeg
IMG_5640.jpeg
IMG_5641.jpeg
IMG_5645.jpeg
IMG_5643.jpeg
IMG_5644.jpeg
IMG_5646.jpeg
IMG_5647.jpeg
IMG_5648.jpeg

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some quick fuge footage. The porcelain crabs that came in as hitchikers on my TBS liverock are getting quite large! My pithos crab loves to hang on the mangrove trunk. I hand feed him sometimes.

Lgara1303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank build tab updated 11/28/2023!

I debated putting this in the frag tank section but I don’t know if I can resist the temptation of building it out into a lagoon or something.

Current situation:
-Saw a lowboy on a custom steel stand at LFS. I love shallow tanks, had to have it.
-bought the tank, $160. SCORE!
-the stand was $600- #%?* THAT!
-went down YouTube rabbit hole of DIY stand building. Built wooden stand out of framing 2x4 lumber. Think it turned out nice so far. Planning to spray paint black.
-bought 40 breeder for sump. Side note: petco price was $120 in store, $60 if you order online for pickup. Ordered it online while looking at the $120 price tag and walked out with it for $60
-I’ll keep a tab of $ spent in the spirit of at least semi-DIY.

To do:
-drill tank for drains and returns
-spray paint bottom of tank black

-carry everything upstairs (or figure out a new spot - I'm getting cold feet on having this ~90 gallon system upstairs...
-decide what lights and pumps I want. Will probably get another kessil AP9x because I love the one on my display. Leaning towards maxspect gyres for flow, they seem really efficient for shallow tanks

HELP ME:
-CHECK MY WISH LIST AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!
-WHAT SHOULD I ACTUALLY DO WITH THIS TANK?

CURRENT TAB:
1701198392525.png

IMG_2757.jpeg 71780424401__F8D43901-BF6F-4193-B224-B193F5679331.jpeg IMG_2766.jpeg IMG_2774.jpeg IMG_2775.jpeg 71788861637__B789976C-C6B5-42D3-9BA8-FF1147F2CD0A.jpeg IMG_2773.jpeg
Just reviewing your build again and I just wanna confirm did you use pressure-treated lumber or not and if not, do you just not find it necessary or you didn’t want to spend the extra money on it to decide if I want to do pressure-treated or not

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just reviewing your build again and I just wanna confirm did you use pressure-treated lumber or not and if not, do you just not find it necessary or you didn’t want to spend the extra money on it to decide if I want to do pressure-treated or not
To be honest, I’m not sure if it was pressure treated or not. I used standard 2x4, and if you use a frame build the same or similar to mine it will be more than strong enough to hold any tank that can fit on it. So, it shouldn’t matter whether it is or isn’t.

Lgara1303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I’m not sure if it was pressure treated or not. I used standard 2x4, and if you use a frame build the same or similar to mine it will be more than strong enough to hold any tank that can fit on it. So, it shouldn’t matter whether it is or isn’t.
Yeah, I’m actually planning to basically build the same stand. You are in a lot of my build is gonna come with the inspiration from yours to be honest, but I’m not really concerned about the strength of the stand as I am water getting on it.

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’m actually planning to basically build the same stand. You are in a lot of my build is gonna come with the inspiration from yours to be honest, but I’m not really concerned about the strength of the stand as I am water getting on it.
Just give it a coat of paint and you should be alright either way!

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some recent footage of the system! Today was cleaning day and some of my acro frags are starting to encrust!

IMG_6186.jpeg
IMG_6187.jpeg
IMG_6189.jpeg
IMG_6183.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6188.jpeg
    IMG_6188.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1

Lgara1303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some recent footage of the system! Today was cleaning day and some of my acro frags are starting to encrust!

IMG_6186.jpeg
IMG_6187.jpeg
IMG_6189.jpeg
IMG_6183.jpeg

Very nice man I’ve been asking to see an updated picture of it.
I personally love the low boy tanks been looking at all the builds and they all look so nice.

I plan to start my build thread soon as I’m going to get my lumber this week and I got my sump protein, skimmer, and return pump and most of my plumbing connections this weekend. Not necessarily in a rush, but at the same time trying to get the system built as my frag tank that I have now is going to ****, and I have started distributing the Frags to my display in my dad‘s display so I don’t lose anymore I lost a good 3-4 inch frogspawn believe it’s due to the temperature from the tank being smaller as my bigger tanks don’t reach a temperature throughout the day that tank is seeing 84° then probably going back down to 80 ish at night just stressful as I want to be consistent.

I see you were doing bare bottom on that tank and I also plan to do that. Have you ever thought about a clam and do you know if you can just add them straight bare bottom as I have one in my frag tank and now and that’s really the only thing I’m worried about moving. Also how are you liking bare bottom?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%

Back