unable to keep SPS

bigdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI, this is my first time posting on reef to reef. I have been in the hobby for about 2 years now and I'm still unable to keep sps corals. I have a marine land 110 tall 48x24x30. l have bought many corals just to watch the rtn l have some mushrooms, 2 gonioporas ,1 torch, and some Zoanthids My equipment is 2 xr30. 2mp40 I'm also have a algae scrubber. plus, a reef octopus 150. i also have about 11 fish in the system. My perimeter is alk 8.6 cal 420 mag 1380 no3 23.5 po4 0.08 l have been trying to bring down my no3 with no results. l was also doing 10% water change a week. I'm at my withs end. l have a 80 gal Lps tank that is doing reel good no problems everything is growing good. A ICP test was just sent in waiting for the results hope someone on the forum can help me.

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your no3 levels are fine. How often do you test params? How is your flow and lighting? These days SPS are relatively easy to keep as long as you have stable params and aren't buying maricultured frags.

OP
OP
B

bigdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep your numbers stable? And are you buying wild acros or aquacultured pieces that are tried and true such as Ora?
I'm dosing kalkwasser and l was feeding 3 times a day flakes and frozen. I think the acros were aquaculture.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's face it...we all can't keep dream SPS tanks, you should too.

Even Reef Dork on YouTube is switching up tanks now, not because he can't grow SPS, but rather that it's boring and his branching and encrusting montipora have taken over. He loves LPS more now.

I myself tried a mixed reef with SPS and LPS, but dosing, Water Chemistry for SPS was not best for LPS, and vice versa.

It's OK! I have since forgone SPS, aside of Anacropora and 1 Bali Green slimer...still doing great...but on the plus side...i have 4 torches, a Hammer Garden with some rare hammers, bi color frogs, a ricordea garden, tons of zoas...etc.. I am very happy, and love the corals that actually sway to the flow, so does everyone else.

Sure... 1 day in the future I'd love to try my hand at an SPS dominant tank..but for now, I love my tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back