Unconventional Calcium Reactor for the average reefer!!

McDam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since R2R has been such an amazing source of knowledge for me through out my years in the hobby I want to share this idea with you all. It was originally posted under the chemistry forum for discussion but this has now become quite the DIY project and I think this is a more appropriate place for it, as I would like to continue to show my progress and future updates.

The whole idea here, is to use carbonated water as a source to lower ph in a reactor similar to calcium reactor, on a smaller scale, and without the use of pressurized CO2 to dissolve calcium carbonate material to be dosed to our reef aquariums for supplementation and coral growth.

Here is a link to the original post.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/club-soda-calcium-reactor.243181/

please have a read and feel free to post any comments or questions here.

Here is the gist of it and the DIY part quoted form the OP. Enjoy!

*********************************************************************************************
My assumptions where that if I mixed carbonated water and tank water into a sealed container full of coral media (I used small dry rock ruble since I had some around) where the ph can be controlled within the reaction chamber by the rate and ratio of the dose of each liquid, and the subsequent addition of fluid would then force the effluent out and into the sump. Once the ratio was figured out I could proportionally increase or decrease the amount added by both dosing pumps to reach a drip/flow rate to satisfy the calcium and alkalinity demands of the tank.

So I set out to test it. I already had two dosing pumps from previous two-part dosing. I had all the tubing I needed, and the media required. I just needed a sealable container to put it all in.
I got some fittings that would allow me to connect the tubing and insert the pH probe. Just had to buy some Club Soda. Easy Peasy!!

I drilled 2 holes on one side, one for the CS (Club Soda) and one for the SW (Saltwater). One other hole near the top side for the effluent to drain out of, and one in the lid for the pH probe. Filled the unit with the rock ruble and presto, a miniature calcium reactor.
img_5502-jpg.824463
img_5503-jpg.824466
img_5504-jpg.824469
img_5513-jpg.824470
img_5512-jpg.824471

Once I had that all done I did a few tests to get a better idea if I would actually be able to get the pH low enough without using the entire bottle of CS, turns out the CS has a pH of around 5.34 measured using apex pH probe.
img_5510-jpg.824494
img_5511-jpg.824495

Then I tested to see how much CS it would take to get the SW down to an acceptable range to dissolve the media.

First test was 10 ml of tank water and 1 ml of club soda resulting in a ph of 5.66 . Ratio 10:1
next I tested 10 ml of tank water and 0.1 ml of club soda " " Ph of 6.62. Ratio 100:1

So I hooked it all up and gave it a whirl.

img_5514-jpg.824498

So one dosing pump is pulling water from the sump and injecting it in the middle section of the reactor. The other dosing pump is pulling from the bottle of CS and injecting it in the bottom of the bottle. There is no re-circulation within the reactor but I may try and add it some how. The pH is monitored at the top and as fluids are pumped in, the excess is pushed out the upper side and back into the sump. I filled the reactor (or bottle to be frank) with water from the sump then added CS until I reached a pH target of 6.50. I initially set the dose to started out with a 20:1 ration SW:CS to see if the ph would raise or lower and then adjust I would adjust it from there. What I didn't realize, but made sense, was that the 10:1 ration would not be the same when the coral media is added.
As it dissolves the coral media the ph of the solution increases. So I just had to add a bit more.
here is the pH reading while trying to tune it or dial it in. the large spikes are from me moving the pH probe back to the main display to make sure it was still ok pH wise.
ph-tuning-png.824513

Then it seems I found the sweet spot and I gotta say I am quite surprised by how stable it is once it is set.
ph-dialed-png.824512

So now, all that's left is to monitor the tank parameters. Get Alk and Calc up to a desirable level and adjust dosing to match the demand.

I did do an effluent alk test quickly last night and was very excited when I went through the whole 1ml syringe of titrant and it was still blue.(red sea test kit) I will have to do another test but from what I gather the effluent is around 25 dkh. I don't know whats ideal but its a pretty good start!!!!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read that thread awhile back:

"Many ways to skin a cat"

:)

OP
OP
McDam

McDam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What better way to track progress then to track growth of the corals themselves. I will try to continually post updates of two or three frags. I got these just before trying this little experiment and I figure everyone loves pictures! Actually the reason for jump-starting this little project was due to these frags. After a few days in my system, which at the time I was dosing Kalkwasser, the frags started to bleach on me. Some even RTN'ed. So I removed the kalkwasser and started this reactor and the ones that weren't already to far gone recovered nicely. I have also upgraded from the rock rubble originally used to an actual calcium reactor media and will be adding magnesium soon. I have not added re-circulation to the chamber yet but I may be replacing it with something with a larger capacity and re circulation soon.
I do apologize however. I may be a lot of things but a photographer is not one of them. The extent of it for me is an iPhone with a Aquariclip.

RR OP May 2018
IMG_5145.JPG

IMG_5153.JPG

IMG_5173.JPG

RR OP September 2018 (encrusting on base)
IMG_5572.JPG

And most recent. December 2018 ( 2 x 1/2" Branches growing out the back)
IMG_6413.JPG

RR PC May 2018 (Furthest away)
IMG_5214.JPG

IMG_5581.JPG

December 2018.
IMG_6414.JPG

Working on a new solution for automatic water changes as well. Grow you own help ;)
Although, it may take a few years for this one to be able to handle the 5 gal pales of water.;Joyful

IMG_6401.JPG

That's it for now.

IMG_6410.JPG

IMG_6411.JPG

OP
OP
McDam

McDam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Christmas has come and gone, and I am finally getting a chance to update and give a little sneak peek at the gift I bought for myself over the holiday season.

Since starting this project, I have been looking for a way to increase the size of my reactor and include re-circulation yet keep this affordable to the average reefer. By adding re-circulation, we should be able to get a higher "potency" of dissolved calcium and alkalinity and have a more efficient use of the club soda (CO2) being injected into the chamber. I contemplated fixing a maxijet to the side of my "bottle" but since proof of concept has been proven its time to move on.

So I figured there must be a bio media reactor that recirculates, I have a recirculating skimmer that would have been my last resort but low and behold there are many recirculating reactors. Skimz makes a reactor that not only recirculates, it also draws in tank water. And it turns out they also add an additional connector on it for CO2 injection and call it a calcium reactor!!!

Capture2.PNG

So I have been watching these for a while and was a little uneasy since they didn't have great reviews (as a media reactor). I also noticed that they had come out with a new line, most likely to eliminate the major complaint about the product and that it cannot be dissembled for cleaning. With the new line released I found this on clearance! Half price!!

Capture.PNG

And I haven't even gotten to the best part yet. Since they use the same design for the media reactor and the calcium reactor there is a prime/fill up fitting on the top that fits a pH probe perfectly. The only difference I can tell between the two of them is the diffusion plate between the pump and media is conical instead of flat (No issue), and that the calcium reactor has an extra fitting for CO2 line. So easy enough, I can drill a hole and put a fitting in for that without the additional $125 expense.

The key points being: it is a solid product from a solid company (not something I whipped up on a whim), it is sealed, it has a fitting for pH probe, it recirculates, it pulls in tank water by itself eliminating the need for another dosing pump, and it is self-priming. just to name a few. And it was CHEAP!!! Exactly what I needed.

The point of this whole thread was basically proof of concept but now I am a bit more enthused about continually using this system to run my tank. I am hoping with this I will be able to maximize dosing and really stabilize tank parameters.

Oh and I forgot to mention it comes with a variable speed DC pump and controller!!! just incredible. for $74. ;Woot;Woot;Woot;Woot;Woot;Woot;Woot

So now not only can I vary the dose of the incoming club soda (CO2) for pH control, I can also adjust the rate of re-circulation and rate of discharge into the tank. Amazing! Sounds good in theory, let’s hope it works.

IMG_6600.JPG

And just to make this a bit more interesting I have added ZEOMAG to the reactor to supplement for magnesium as well, and I have been toying with adding amino acids and vitamins to the Club soda prior to use as well as making my own soda water with a sodastream and RODI water.

IMG_6526.JPG IMG_6527.JPG
(for the ney sayers ;)I did investigate whether the amino's would be destroyed by the low ph in the CS and read that it shouldn't be an issue.) Vitamins I am not so sure about so we will just have to see.
clip_image006.png
clip_image006.png
Although if they are, then the daily multivitamin industry is making fools of us all. ;Shifty

So now this reactor has become an All-in-one-reactor dosing all Reef requirements. Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium, trace elements, potassium, amino acids and Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, and Vitamin K3.
clip_image006.png
clip_image006.png
clip_image006.png

Now let's see your traditional calcium reactor do that! ;Smuggrin;Smug and for that price ;Greedy;Greedy

lol All jokes and sarcasm aside. Every good product deserves a name, and since I couldn’t pass my name off to either of my three daughters, I guess it will have to go to my fourth child, My reef. ;Hilarious

I hear-by dub this system "A.D.A.M" -- Advanced Dosing and Alkalinity Management.

Mic drop. ;Stop

As a side note: consider this all as a simple recording of inner monologue and that the intent is for my own records and a way to track progress. I apologize if it seems to jump all over the place, that is simply my excitement showing. If you found this at all educational and/or hopefully entertaining, then I have been successful. All constructive/deconstruction criticism, questions, and requests are welcome.

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Christmas has come and gone, and I am finally getting a chance to update and give a little sneak peek at the gift I bought for myself over the holiday season.

Since starting this project, I have been looking for a way to increase the size of my reactor and include re-circulation yet keep this affordable to the average reefer. By adding re-circulation, we should be able to get a higher "potency" of dissolved calcium and alkalinity and have a more efficient use of the club soda (CO2) being injected into the chamber. I contemplated fixing a maxijet to the side of my "bottle" but since proof of concept has been proven its time to move on.

So I figured there must be a bio media reactor that recirculates, I have a recirculating skimmer that would have been my last resort but low and behold there are many recirculating reactors. Skimz makes a reactor that not only recirculates, it also draws in tank water. And it turns out they also add an additional connector on it for CO2 injection and call it a calcium reactor!!!

Capture2.PNG

So I have been watching these for a while and was a little uneasy since they didn't have great reviews (as a media reactor). I also noticed that they had come out with a new line, most likely to eliminate the major complaint about the product and that it cannot be dissembled for cleaning. With the new line released I found this on clearance! Half price!!

Capture.PNG

And I haven't even gotten to the best part yet. Since they use the same design for the media reactor and the calcium reactor there is a prime/fill up fitting on the top that fits a pH probe perfectly. The only difference I can tell between the two of them is the diffusion plate between the pump and media is conical instead of flat (No issue), and that the calcium reactor has an extra fitting for CO2 line. So easy enough, I can drill a hole and put a fitting in for that without the additional $125 expense.

The key points being: it is a solid product from a solid company (not something I whipped up on a whim), it is sealed, it has a fitting for pH probe, it recirculates, it pulls in tank water by itself eliminating the need for another dosing pump, and it is self-priming. just to name a few. And it was CHEAP!!! Exactly what I needed.

The point of this whole thread was basically proof of concept but now I am a bit more enthused about continually using this system to run my tank. I am hoping with this I will be able to maximize dosing and really stabilize tank parameters.

Oh and I forgot to mention it comes with a variable speed DC pump and controller!!! just incredible. for $74. ;Woot;Woot;Woot;Woot;Woot;Woot;Woot

So now not only can I vary the dose of the incoming club soda (CO2) for pH control, I can also adjust the rate of re-circulation and rate of discharge into the tank. Amazing! Sounds good in theory, let’s hope it works.

IMG_6600.JPG

And just to make this a bit more interesting I have added ZEOMAG to the reactor to supplement for magnesium as well, and I have been toying with adding amino acids and vitamins to the Club soda prior to use as well as making my own soda water with a sodastream and RODI water.

IMG_6526.JPG IMG_6527.JPG
(for the ney sayers ;)I did investigate whether the amino's would be destroyed by the low ph in the CS and read that it shouldn't be an issue.) Vitamins I am not so sure about so we will just have to see.
clip_image006.png
clip_image006.png
Although if they are, then the daily multivitamin industry is making fools of us all. ;Shifty

So now this reactor has become an All-in-one-reactor dosing all Reef requirements. Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium, trace elements, potassium, amino acids and Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, and Vitamin K3.
clip_image006.png
clip_image006.png
clip_image006.png

Now let's see your traditional calcium reactor do that! ;Smuggrin;Smug and for that price ;Greedy;Greedy

lol All jokes and sarcasm aside. Every good product deserves a name, and since I couldn’t pass my name off to either of my three daughters, I guess it will have to go to my fourth child, My reef. ;Hilarious

I hear-by dub this system "A.D.A.M" -- Advanced Dosing and Alkalinity Management.

Mic drop. ;Stop

As a side note: consider this all as a simple recording of inner monologue and that the intent is for my own records and a way to track progress. I apologize if it seems to jump all over the place, that is simply my excitement showing. If you found this at all educational and/or hopefully entertaining, then I have been successful. All constructive/deconstruction criticism, questions, and requests are welcome.

Awesome! How large a system would you rate this for?

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great project! I love diy projects, especially ones that work just as well or better than manufactured products. Looking forward to seeing how well the reactor works for your long term success.

OP
OP
McDam

McDam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! How large a system would you rate this for?

Great question and thanks for stopping by. My belief is that this system would work great on any tank size up to a certain size that it would be more economical to have a conventional reactor. Such as larger systems exceeding 150 to 200 gal. But it would still greatly depend on system uptake. I am currently running a 90 gal display tank and 20 gal sump and when I initially set this new skimz reactor up my alkalinity shot up from around 7 to 10 in a 24 hr period and I emidiatey had to dial it back and it is now stabilizing around 8.5. So this tells me there is more room for higher demand tanks and I know there is a lot of room to cut back more for much smaller tanks. If I had to wager a guess at this point I would say anywhere from a 20 gal nano tank heavily stocked with sps up to a 150-200 gal mixed reef or moderately stocked sps tank. But far more testing to be done before I could say indefinitely. After that it may not be economical or low maintenance as you would have to be changing fluid daily at which point it becomes a hassle. And I think the majority of reefers or the average reefer tank size would be within that range.

OP
OP
McDam

McDam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great project! I love diy projects, especially ones that work just as well or better than manufactured products. Looking forward to seeing how well the reactor works for your long term success.

Thank you for the kind words. I will do my best to keep this updated as time moves on and this evolves. Already so many more ideas and further modifications to make. But for now stability it key. Stay tuned.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very cool and innovative, and one thing I love about the reefing hobby (the innovation). I'm curious if this method is saving money over the traditional setup. If you add the costs of the dosing pumps and the reactor do you think it's still saving money? If you're considering the dosing pumps a sunk cost then I can see the savings for sure. But let's assume that we're talking about a reefer that is dosing manually so both sides (soda vs co2) are starting equally.

For my system I paid the following:

huge reactor - $150 used
co2 tank - $68 ($19/refill/6 months)
dual regulator (co2art) - $120
media, apex, pH probe, recirc pump - EVEN because both methods are using it.

Total for me is $338 for a system that accommodates a 300 sps dominant reef. Again, this is just because I'm curious and nothing else. I really do like your solution and just hoping to do a quick comparison. :0) How much do you think it would cost for soda per 6 months? That is probably where we would see the difference (or not).

OP
OP
McDam

McDam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks McPuff.
I definitely don’t think there would be any savings for a 300 gal system as you would need a lot of CS and have to change it out very often as well as a larger reactor. And it wasn’t cost savings that really drove me into this but more accessibility and convenience. The closest CO2 distributor for me is 500 km away, but I can get CS at any store in town as well as since I now have a sodastream at home I can make my own. Not sure yet how long these sodastream co2 bottles will last yet, but it only costs 11-12$ to exchange it, also available here in town.

I also don’t have the convenience of purchasing used equipment,where the majority of your cost saving is. I am most likely the only reefer in town and most people selling equipment online won’t ship. Even if they did, shipping cost’s start to outway any savings. But again it was an experiment and about opening up options for reefers with smaller system such as mine or smaller. If you already have dosing pumps for 2 part it is a pretty easy transition. If you are dosing manually then the next logical upgrade would be to get dosing pumps for the added stability. Then possibly migrate over to this or a calcium reactor. Also dependent on system demand. Now the discovery of the added benefit of being able to add additional supplements to the CS is pretty neat.
I was away from home for two weeks and had some sps bleach due to a lighting error on my part, but since I have been adding amino’s and vitamins I can honestly say I have never seen corals recover colour so quickly. I have had this happen before and it has taken up to 6 months or longer some times to get Color back. But this time it was a matter of weeks. That’s not a testament to the reactor of course. it is the additional supliments imho. but the stability of the reactor and higher alkalinity I have been able to acheave are probably helping. I have seen information recently how reefers are using amino’s and supplements to help heal damaged coral and now I have seen it work first hand.
There are still far more improvements that can be made and it will be constantly evolving.
I don’t think it is in anyway better than the conventional calcium reactor but just another solution. People have been using calcium reactors for a long time, all the kinks have been worked out for the most part. I am just trying something different with what is available to me. As it evolves it may end up being something different or just the same.
Costs for me at this point are probably running closer to $500 over the years to get to the point I am at now. That’s including reactor, dosing pumps, all the purchased CS, the sodastream machine, bottles, aminos, vitality, and the biggest one for me is shipping costs for anything. Costs me almost the price of the purchase sometimes to get stuff shipped. Plus ordering anything from the states is painful with our dollar being so low.
My next goal is to upgrade this further to a system where I can use my apex’s variable 0-10v outputs to control pH in the reactor and the dosing rate to stablize things further. And with the Trident on the way, future ambition would be to dynamically control the dosing and reactor pH based on the actual measurement the trident gets.
Constant evolution. Like you said. Innovation is one of the finest parts of the hobby.

OP
OP
McDam

McDam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and forgot to mention footprint. I couldn’t even use a conventional calcium reactor even if I wanted too. There is absolutely no way I could possibly fit a calcium reactor and co2 bottle under my stand.
Just another reason this works better for me and possibly for other smaller systems. Being able to have the benefits of a CARX and still able to fit it under a stand. It just fits right in the sump. 5”x5”
A6E99A62-99B6-4A55-8E60-503EA1CBBE1C.jpeg
2BBF4428-BBC3-41D3-95B4-1CDE8113D3CA.jpeg
C964EF56-8AD4-4CAF-A4DF-0175529E4231.jpeg A44320DF-7DCC-43F4-A347-1BDD0890C294.jpeg BCA0B742-BBD5-4E22-B653-AB3F1D50D359.jpeg 5BFA893C-7C34-4280-AAFF-71EFA02A2CE9.jpeg FDD072EF-AF4E-4FFD-8AFB-E199FD72C8F3.jpeg 47906E74-6ADF-468D-84EF-117F3722DE67.jpeg 819CCC5C-3F74-4278-89A1-DFBABF3BE32D.jpeg 917DE188-63EF-45E1-9450-33D81E76C211.jpeg
27FCF4B0-F3D1-45D6-AFB5-5C379848F19F.jpeg DF9AF664-6C51-4199-A2F3-A63BF409EEF2.jpeg

4EE02974-608E-4E69-ABFB-A76C5CBC0CF8.jpeg

0609A351-BFBF-4046-9233-4E0C169B4BC4.jpeg

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. Very good points! I love how you were able to include trace elements directly into the reactor. That is definitely a PLUS! The results have certainly paid off. As I said, I wasn't trying to be critical, just genuinely curious. I have a friend with limited space that is thinking about doing the same thing. Already has the soda stream as well. :0) It's a great idea!

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered using yeast to generate CO2?

Plenty of planted tank enthusiasts use water, sugar, and yeast in soda bottles to generate CO2 for their tanks. I ran it quite successfully on my planted tanks for quite some time.

You aren't going to have as fine control over the volume of CO2 generated, but if you use a couple of smaller bottles that you rotate through to maintain a more consistent production rate, the volume won't fluctuate as much.

The bottles can handle a little over 100psi (typically). If you ran a fixed setpoint regulator that vents to atmosphere to prevent over pressurization of the bottles, you could run the system as if it was fed by CO2 tanks.

The fixed regulators are relatively cheap, but you may start pushing the system cost into the realm of a commercially available system, though it does resolve the issue of travel for refills.

Have you looked at planted aquarium forums/clubs in your area for the CO2 components? Might have better luck there. Home brewers might be a source for regulators and CO2 bottles.

OP
OP
McDam

McDam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. Very good points! I love how you were able to include trace elements directly into the reactor. That is definitely a PLUS! The results have certainly paid off. As I said, I wasn't trying to be critical, just genuinely curious. I have a friend with limited space that is thinking about doing the same thing. Already has the soda stream as well. :0) It's a great idea!

Absolutely McPuff. I defensively appreciate the curiosity. And if someone else was willing to take the plung and try this out I would love to see some feedback from another user. And if he does try it. I will be willing to help out in any way I can.

OP
OP
McDam

McDam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely McPuff. I defensively appreciate the curiosity. And if someone else was willing to take the plung and try this out I would love to see some feedback from another user. And if he does try it. I will be willing to help out in any way I can.
Correction
“Definitely” not “defensively” lol

OP
OP
McDam

McDam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered using yeast to generate CO2?

Plenty of planted tank enthusiasts use water, sugar, and yeast in soda bottles to generate CO2 for their tanks. I ran it quite successfully on my planted tanks for quite some time.

You aren't going to have as fine control over the volume of CO2 generated, but if you use a couple of smaller bottles that you rotate through to maintain a more consistent production rate, the volume won't fluctuate as much.

The bottles can handle a little over 100psi (typically). If you ran a fixed setpoint regulator that vents to atmosphere to prevent over pressurization of the bottles, you could run the system as if it was fed by CO2 tanks.

The fixed regulators are relatively cheap, but you may start pushing the system cost into the realm of a commercially available system, though it does resolve the issue of travel for refills.

Have you looked at planted aquarium forums/clubs in your area for the CO2 components? Might have better luck there. Home brewers might be a source for regulators and CO2 bottles.

I did stumble on some info on using yeast while reaserching CO2 applications. But haven’t had the time to look into it. I thought it might be hard to regulate or give consistent resaults. But another option forsure.

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Sounds like you live in the middle of nowhere! I have always wanted to have an alk circ system. Imagine one large calcium reactor with a circulation loop. The calcium reactor is controlled to
Maintain and exact pH. Then for each system you have, you just figure out the drip rate needed to maintain alk. For people with a lot of systems this would be great.

OP
OP
McDam

McDam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Sounds like you live in the middle of nowhere! I have always wanted to have an alk circ system. Imagine one large calcium reactor with a circulation loop. The calcium reactor is controlled to
Maintain and exact pH. Then for each system you have, you just figure out the drip rate needed to maintain alk. For people with a lot of systems this would be great.

Yes I am about as close as I can get to the middle of no where but I manage. Lol

Great idea about the circ loop.

Ashley Kekua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sound like too much work for too little benefit. Too much to do mean much problem ahead in the future road!

Back